BiggerPockets Podcast 229: Early Retirement Through Short-Term Rental Properties with Zeona McIntyre
The links to third-party products and services on this page are affiliate links, meaning that BiggerPockets may earn a commission (at no additional cost to you) if you click through and make a purchase.
Want more articles like this?
Create an account today to get BiggerPocket's best blog articles delivered to your inboxSign up for free
Not everyone wants to work a “real job”—but luckily, real estate investing can offer financial freedom for those willing to put in the work. Today’s guest on The BiggerPockets Podcast exemplifies this perfectly! Our guest today, Zeona McIntyre, is a master at short-term (aka “vacation”) rental properties and has achieved early retirement with just a small handful of these units. On this fun episode, you’ll discover how Zeona began her rental journey before buying a single property, how short-term rentals can provide significantly more cash flow than traditional rentals, and numerous tips and tricks for getting the biggest bang for your buck. We also chat on private lending, finding deals, and the amazing number of countries (and continents) Zeona has traveled to. Whether you plan to buy short-term rentals in your future or not, this show packs a powerful punch that everyone needs to hear!
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
Check out SimpliSafe Security’s DIY home security systems; an affordable, wireless, cellular, and customizable system that doesn’t require a contract!
Try it today with a discount: simplisafepockets.com
Fire Round Sponsor
A huge thanks as well to our Fire Round sponsor FreshBooks.
FreshBooks customers spend less time on paperwork, freeing up 2 days per month to focus on the work they love. What would you do with that extra time?
Learn more by visiting FreshBooks.
In This Episode We Cover:
- How Zeona got into the real estate game
- Why she started out by subleasing her apartment as an Airbnb rental
- Why you should see private money lenders as opportunities
- Why reading the fine print is important before signing anything
- How she found her next deal site unseen
- What’s unique about her market
- How she uses systems to manage her units
- What early retirement means to her
- Tips for managing vacation rentals at a distance
- Discriminations and legalities on these properties
- Airbnb hacks and tips
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BiggerPockets Files
- Parks and Recreation (TV Show)
- Afford Anything (Blog)
- BiggerPockets Podcast 035: Quitting Your Job, Lifestyle Design, and Being a Traveling Landlord with Paula Pant
- BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Real Estate Investing
- Casa Mia Pizza
- BiggerPockets Podcast 125: The Key to Business Success with Bestselling Author of The E-Myth Michael Gerber
- BiggerPockets Bookstore
Books Mentioned in this Show
- Set for Life by Scott Trench
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- The 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss
- The Big Leap by PhD Hendricks Gay
- “You just take what you have and you leverage that.” (Tweet This!)
- “You don’t fully understand until you’re in it, until you’re doing it.” (Tweet This!)
- “You don’t have to be super studied. You just have to start doing it.” (Tweet This!)
Connect with Zeona