Boston is a tough market. Prices are high, but even high rents aren’t enough to make it profitable to invest. Ricky Beliveau makes money by renting to students, converting small multifamily buildings into condos (it’s easier than you think!), and transitioning unused space into more bedrooms to add massive value.
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
Equity Trust is a financial services company that enables individual investors to diversify investment portfolios through alternative asset classes, including real estate, tax liens, private equity and precious metals.
Get your free 10 Ways to Partner on a Deal with Your IRA Checklist: trustetc.com/bp3
Fire Round Sponsor
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: Patch of Land. Patch of Land is a Peer-to-Real-Estate (“P2RE”) lending marketplace that matches accredited and institutional investors seeking high-yield, short-term, asset-collateralized investments to borrowers seeking more timely and consistent sources of funding for rehabbing properties across America.
Learn more by visiting Patch of Land!
In This Episode We Cover:
- How Ricky started by borrowing money from his mom
- Thoughts on buying an expensive property in an expensive market
- How he got 4 signers and co-signers per unit
- Tips for finding a property manager
- The upsides to having a college rental
- How he achieves next to zero vacancies
- How he tenant-proofs his rentals
- The value of his property today
- The details of his next deals
- How to find these gems of properties
- What a condo conversion is
- The average cost for condo conversion with an attorney
- How he sets the HOA up
- How to tell if a property is good for conversion
- Thoughts on keeping a day job while investing
- How to find reliable contractors
- What’s next for Ricky
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Marketplace
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BiggerPockets Pro
- BP Podcast 048: Duplex Investing, Finding Great Properties, and Tips for Managing Tenants with Darren Sager
- East Boston Project (Forum Post by Ricky)
- BiggerPockets Analysis
- How I Built This Podcast
- Mindy’s Twitter Account
Books Mentioned in this Show
- Flipping Confidential by Kirsten Kemp
- “Let the experts do what they do well, and you can do what you do well.” (Tweet This!)
- “If a property has a major foundation issue, your profits can just disappear.” (Tweet This!)
- “Don’t say ‘I can’t.’ Instead, figure out a way to do it.” (Tweet This!)