How to protect my buy and hold properties

How to protect my buy and hold properties

Real Estate Agent · Celina, TX · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 1 vote

My father owns 5 residential properties. His strategy is to buy and hold. Now, all these properties are in low income areas. I want to establish a company where I can put some of these properties under a company name. The main reason is I just want to protect our other assets if we ever get sued or anything. I just wanted to get opinions from other people out there. Like how do you guys protect your investments, what is the best way? Do you setup your investments under a LLC or do you setup each individual investment under an LLC? Whats the best?

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
11y

@Juan Llamas Come sense, learning, studying successful and non successful people will prepare you more than any entity.  

Frank

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    one LLC with a nice umbrellas insurance policy should suffice

  • Wholesaler · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 227 posts · 93 votes
    11y

    Checkout the podcast section of this site and tune into podcast 109. Listen to it a couple of times, it really helps you to understand what's required.

    Also look into setting your LLC in states such as Delaware or Wyoming for maximum protection. You can do some further reading here: http://www.corporatedirect.com/

    Check the link under Bulletproof Your Corporation. Garrett Sutton is very knowledgeable and speaks on the Rich Dad circuit. I use this company for my corporate formation and management and am happy with their work. I don't receive anything for endorsing them.

  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    11y

    @Juan Llamas Come sense, learning, studying successful and non successful people will prepare you more than any entity.  

    Frank

  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    I'm sure everyone has horror stories, but renting in the low income arena reduces your odds of being sued.  Most tenants will not have the resources or follow through to sue, and things can often be solved with a keys for cash agreement.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.