How to protect my buy and hold properties

4 Replies

My father owns 5 residential properties. His strategy is to buy and hold. Now, all these properties are in low income areas. I want to establish a company where I can put some of these properties under a company name. The main reason is I just want to protect our other assets if we ever get sued or anything. I just wanted to get opinions from other people out there. Like how do you guys protect your investments, what is the best way? Do you setup your investments under a LLC or do you setup each individual investment under an LLC? Whats the best?

Checkout the podcast section of this site and tune into podcast 109. Listen to it a couple of times, it really helps you to understand what's required.

Also look into setting your LLC in states such as Delaware or Wyoming for maximum protection. You can do some further reading here: http://www.corporatedirect.com/

Check the link under Bulletproof Your Corporation. Garrett Sutton is very knowledgeable and speaks on the Rich Dad circuit. I use this company for my corporate formation and management and am happy with their work. I don't receive anything for endorsing them.

Promotion
Innago
Property Management Software
Manage Your Rentals Better For Free. Save Time & Money.
Easily Collect Rent, Screen Tenants, Sign Leases, List Properties, Manage Work Orders, & Much More!
100% Free Try It Now

I'm sure everyone has horror stories, but renting in the low income arena reduces your odds of being sued.  Most tenants will not have the resources or follow through to sue, and things can often be solved with a keys for cash agreement.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you