Do you track your NET WORTH?

Do you track your NET WORTH?

Project Engineer · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 203 posts · 64 votes

After reading the book of the millionaire real estate investor by Gary Keller, where it says to track your net worth frequently, I started few months ago to track my net worth and see it how it performs during time. I must say that I got really obsessed with this, and try to improve constantly the rate of increase with a combination of control my personal spending and getting the most out of my real estate endeavors and investments. I created a excel sheet where I insert data and it shows also a graph. I'm sure I can make it a lot more complex, but its not something I need right now. Because I moved to the states beginning of 2013 and know exactly how much capital I brought with me and with combination of the monthly bank statements I was able to use approximate numbers to have a historical view. It fascinated to see the history...   

I use Mint where I have logged in all my assets and liabilities and it calculates most of this automatically. Market value of my real estate and personal notes I calculate my self, everything else it gets the data automatically. For budget watch I prefer using my banks online system (wells fargo)

Currently I see an average increase of approximately 1.1% monthly and so far it looks that it increases as time goes by and I leverage my capital more. After I file my taxes next year I should have a better view of things. 

Anyone else has this habit and how much increase have you seen with your REI?

2Reply
141 views

Most Popular Reply

CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

@Pavlos Kasselouris I look and think about it maybe quarterly but not often.. In my opinion, it is a kind of worthless figure.. I care about how much I make, my expenses, my debt etc...

Your comments crack me up sometimes. The other day you were advocating mortgage fraud and now you are saying net worth is worthless?

So in the future when you've maxed out your conventional loans and go to a portfolio lender for a loan, are they going to care that your assets cash flow $300 per month or that you have a net worth of $500k? What's going to make them open their checkbook to you?

Your net worth is essentially your financial report card and it indicates your financial health. You can make a ton, but be worth nothing. Additionally, when reviewing it over time you can see trends that will show you the realities of where you stand financially. Ideally your net worth will be trending upwards over time, and if it isn't, tracking it will provide you with a real wake up call.

When you hit retirement and decide to tap into your retirement savings to live, what do you think happens to your net worth? It goes down. If you don't have much of a net worth, you don't have much to tap into. It would be pretty awful to surprisingly learn that your net worth won't get you through retirement.

That said I look at my net worth on a monthly basis. It is the most important financial figure for your "personal books" and it is critical that you track it. I don't think any successful guy will tell you otherwise. Maybe @Serge S. can chime in here.

See this reply in the discussion

74 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    I don't track it on a regular basis. As long as I'm not living paycheck to paycheck and can buy fun stuff now and then and have savings in the bank, I'm good. When I've had to get bank loans in the past you have to give them a financial statement. I was always surprised to see the number.

  • N/A, Slovakia · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    after a longer period of time of investing into RE it can come in handy, 

    but first off all i would worry about how much i make a month, what expenses i have and the numbers of the morgage(s)

  • Investor · Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 432 posts · 481 votes
    11y

    I did my first Statement of Networth at the request of my then father in law to be 39 years ago!  I was also required to provide him with a "P & L" at the tender age of 18.  I have done it ever since every year.  I think of it as a "score card" on how well the previous year has gone...almost a game.

    I now use P & L's that my secretary prints every month for each of my properties and businesses and look forward to looking at them.  Another form that the secretary makes is a form that keeps track of how much cash is in each of my accounts and compares it to a year before.   A simple excel sheet does it for me.   I have always played life like Monopoly - if you run out of cash the game is over. 

    As for the original Statement of Networth I still have it and look at it occasionaly.  I had a networth of around $5500 back then.  Now?  Well let's just say I think the father in law is looking down from heaven with a smile on his face!

    The saying comes to mind "if you don't have a plan, you plan to fail".

  • Certified Public Accountant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2008 · 279 posts · 151 votes
    11y

    I'm a CPA so I am a nerd when it comes to financial matters. I've been tracking net worth (assets - liabilities) monthly in an Excel spreadsheet for the last 10 years. I find it interesting to go back and see the historical numbers. It's nice to see the progress we've made over the last few years. It's also great to have when the bank wants a personal financial statement. I don't have to scramble around to put one together.

  • CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Pavlos Kasselouris I look and think about it maybe quarterly but not often.. In my opinion, it is a kind of worthless figure.. I care about how much I make, my expenses, my debt etc...

    Your comments crack me up sometimes. The other day you were advocating mortgage fraud and now you are saying net worth is worthless?

    So in the future when you've maxed out your conventional loans and go to a portfolio lender for a loan, are they going to care that your assets cash flow $300 per month or that you have a net worth of $500k? What's going to make them open their checkbook to you?

    Your net worth is essentially your financial report card and it indicates your financial health. You can make a ton, but be worth nothing. Additionally, when reviewing it over time you can see trends that will show you the realities of where you stand financially. Ideally your net worth will be trending upwards over time, and if it isn't, tracking it will provide you with a real wake up call.

    When you hit retirement and decide to tap into your retirement savings to live, what do you think happens to your net worth? It goes down. If you don't have much of a net worth, you don't have much to tap into. It would be pretty awful to surprisingly learn that your net worth won't get you through retirement.

    That said I look at my net worth on a monthly basis. It is the most important financial figure for your "personal books" and it is critical that you track it. I don't think any successful guy will tell you otherwise. Maybe @Serge S. can chime in here.

  • Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    I've looked at my net worth a time or two. My bank website has tools to calculate it. Lately I have also been use Mint.com 

    If it wasn't for all the debt I carry I'd be good. So my current goal is to eliminate all my consumer debt (auto, student loan, credit cards, etc)

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    Of course! I'm a finance/accounting nerd, so I have a monthly budget, retirement accts, real estate 10 yr plan, student loan payments, credit score calculations, etc. that I update monthly.  I've used Mint.com before, but just use an Excel spreadsheet now. No problem with Mint I just prefer Excel.

    It's a confidence booster and it's motivating to see my liabilities decreasing and my assets increasing. It means I'm doing something right and I can easily set more goals when I know where I stand financially.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mineola, NY · Member since 2014 · 838 posts · 212 votes
    11y

    I did the same after reading that book! I can't say enough about it, It keeps me focused and driven.

  • Investor | Syndicator | Instructor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2008 · 435 posts · 198 votes
    11y

    I've looked at my net worth since I was 14 and bought my first stock. Always was intrigued with an upward sloping curve. When to college for accounting and finance, ran my own accounting firm, and have owned several businesses. Decided to make real estate full time as it is the easiest and most explainable method to watch net worth grow. Calculate it every weekend through an enormous annual Excel spreadsheet that is tabbed into months. It allows me to see if I am going the right direction or if things that I do penalize me too greatly. However, this focus on net worth is incidental to my focus on just enjoying life. My net worth calculations are just a lifelong process began at 14 and I have continued it to this day. Old habits are hard to leave.

  • Curtis BidwellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 777 posts · 744 votes
    11y

    For the Self-Employed it becomes much more critical to maintain net worth data than if you get a W-2 to account for your income.  Banks and Lenders want to know that you have a track record and manage your resources well.  I input data regularly into my Personal Finance Statement, but really only check it twice a month -mid month and month end.  It paid off this past week when I asked for a $250k loc, and the banker wanted to give me $500k! 

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    Banks generally require a personal financial statement, so I'm basically required to. Although, for me, the net worth and success of the company is first and foremost (I'm partnered with my brother and father), so that's the number I keep track of the most.

  • Realtor · Lafayette, LA · Member since 2011 · 296 posts · 175 votes
    11y

    @Pavlos Kasselouris

    I'm just like you man, I track it monthly and since I started it grows more and more each month!

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Hundley:

    @Pavlos Kasselouris

    I'm just like you man, I track it monthly and since I started it grows more and more each month!

     Psst!  Wanna know a secret?   

    If you are making good deals, keeping your units full and your turnover down, your net worth will grow more and more each month even if you only look at it 1 - 4 times a year ;-)

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    I've been using Quicken since 1997 and can run my net worth and spending back 18 years, if I so choose.  Like @Dawn Anastasi, I'm sometimes a little surprised at the number, but more in a "huh...  that's kinda cool" way rather than the "oh god, ramen again" way that it was back in 97.

  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Adam Sitcoscy:

    I use both Mint and Personal Capital, finding them very useful in different ways. As others have touched on before me, Personal Capital is a bit better at tracking investments. They have excellent graphs that help to visually display where you're at financially. 

    On the other hand, I prefer Mint when it comes to tracking my monthly budgets and individual expenditures. Several times per week, I go in and manage the spend categories, so they fall in line with the correct budget. After a while, the program learns which purchases go where, helping to minimize manual corrections. 

    It's really a lot of fun trying to make that Net Worth number climb as high as possible. 

     Disclosure: I have not used Mint yet. Do you guys find it time consuming to input every single dollar in and out every single time? Another example, lets say you drove 6 miles in a business related way. You have to pull out a notepad, write the nature of the business, mileage, etc. down. Now, even if that took a minute, and for simplicity sake say your time to you is worth $60/hour, thats $1 of time you just wasted. The IRS wont give you back $1 for those 6 miles you spent 1 minute writing off. In fact, it won't even be 10 cents.

  • Project Engineer · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 203 posts · 64 votes
    11y

    @Curtis Bidwell and @Andrew Syrios Is it easy to find a sample of personal financial statement? Will this help me with any commercial deals or prortfolio lenders I go for in the future?

  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    I propose this challenge: if anyone can mathematically prove how the time spent writing off some mileage business expense or the frappucinos we buy every day into Mint, does NOT make you lose money (in the time-value of money way I just explained above), I will paypal you $500.00. Lets go :)

  • Project Engineer · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 203 posts · 64 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Roy N.:
    Originally posted by @Stephen Hundley:

    @Pavlos Kasselouris

    I'm just like you man, I track it monthly and since I started it grows more and more each month!

     Psst!  Wanna know a secret?   

    If you are making good deals, keeping your units full and your turnover down, your net worth will grow more and more each month even if you only look at it 1 - 4 times a year ;-)

     Unfortunately that's not true, because if you increase your liabilities or your spending your NET worth might go down, stay the same or not increase as much as you thought it would.

  • Curtis BidwellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 777 posts · 744 votes
    11y

    @Pavlos Kasselouris You can google Personal Financial Statement, or Net Worth Calculator in Excell to find samples. I got one from a bank and then added tabs for each business and a REO page that auto fills to my front page totals.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Pavlos Kasselouris:

    @Curtis Bidwell and @Andrew Syrios Is it easy to find a sample of personal financial statement? Will this help me with any commercial deals or prortfolio lenders I go for in the future?

     There should be some online, but pretty much any bank will provide you with one when you are trying to apply for a loan. We just use the one we got from US Bank.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Pavlos Kasselouris:

     Psst!  Wanna know a secret?   

    If you are making good deals, keeping your units full and your turnover down, your net worth will grow more and more each month even if you only look at it 1 - 4 times a year ;-)

     Unfortunately that's not true, because if you increase your liabilities or your spending your NET worth might go down, stay the same or not increase as much as you thought it would. 

    You missed the point.   Watching the pot will not make it boil faster.

    I've been running businesses for close to 30 years without looking at my personal net worth more than once per quarter - usually when I sit down with my bank.  Sure it seesaws depending on what you are doing ... but it would do the same if you were slavishly tracking it every week or month.

    If you are spending too much time worried about your own personal worth, you run the risk of not keeping the ship in best trim.

  • Rick SantasierePro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Granby, CT · Member since 2015 · 694 posts · 317 votes
    11y

    I do for a few reasons.  First, listing all my properties as line items with their value gives me a fairly accurate snapshot of the total of my holdings. Second, listing net worth does give me a sense of accomplishment each month (like getting an investment statement in the mail when your portfolio has increased).

    Some other benefits are completely psychological.. For instance, we all go through the dredges where we hate our debt load and get all worried about paying our bills (at least most investors do..). Seeing that ## increase every month because someone else is paying the debt off reminds me regularly that I am improving from prior months. I try not to let my ego get me into trouble, so I really don't think I am "all that" from this net worth figure.  I simply like that I am building a future for my, my family, and maybe create a legacy for my children.  My $.02

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    I really want to be a smart a$$ and call out those, who said the net worth figure is worthless, are clueless. Maybe they don't have anything to track. If you're in the money borrowing business, especially commercial loans, you will know how important your PFS is. 

    Banks are in the busines of making loans. They don't want your properties. They want to be paid back with interest. The more solid your PFS, the cheaper you can borrow. 

    In the spirit of competition, your net worth is your score card. People in the Silicon Valley are busting their behind trying to make $250k/year. My goal is to increase my net worth by at least $250k/year.  It's quite easy to accomplish this goal when you own real estate in the Bay Area. One or two deals with built-in equity and you're there. 

    If you can consistently generate $1,250/month of positive cash flow each year in the Bay Area, there's a high probability that you'd have $250k tax-free money to spend each year.

    If you control a $10MM real estate portfolio, your net worth is increasing at $500k/year at an average 5% annual appreciation. This is not even taking into account the principal pay down and positive cash flow from your portfolio. No wonder why people say this is the land of opportunity.  May I say "FREEDOM........."  :>)

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 222 posts · 38 votes
    11y

    Just did.

    Check out Mint.com

    The best.

  • Real Estate Broker · Johns Creek, GA · Member since 2009 · 870 posts · 664 votes
    11y
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.