New Investor !!! Looking for HOT market !

New Investor !!! Looking for HOT market !

Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 18 votes

Hello , 

My name is Anissa and I currently live in California . I started my real estate journey at the towards the end of 2022. My goal for 2023 is to purchase my first investment property. I have put in a few offers in Toledo and Cleveland Ohio but unfortunately none of the offers went through. I am looking for a new market at this time and would like to know any areas I should do look into ? Any recommendations?  

8Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Remington LymanBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Anissa Allen:

Hello , 

My name is Anissa and I currently live in California . I started my real estate journey at the towards the end of 2022. My goal for 2023 is to purchase my first investment property. I have put in a few offers in Toledo and Cleveland Ohio but unfortunately none of the offers went through. I am looking for a new market at this time and would like to know any areas I should do look into ? Any recommendations?  


 I would definitely keep putting in offers. I know people that have submitted 40+ offers before getting something

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Anissa Allen:

    Hello , 

    My name is Anissa and I currently live in California . I started my real estate journey at the towards the end of 2022. My goal for 2023 is to purchase my first investment property. I have put in a few offers in Toledo and Cleveland Ohio but unfortunately none of the offers went through. I am looking for a new market at this time and would like to know any areas I should do look into ? Any recommendations?  

     I don’t think this is for you if you give up after a few offers 🤣

    But good job taking action

  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor · Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State · Member since 2015 · 654 posts · 622 votes
    3y

    Anissa, Hi.  I just had a Real Estate Meetup this past Saturday in LA and I presented exactly what you are looking to do - Out of State Investing in new, Hot Markets.  DM me and let's connect.  Too much to post here but I can tell you that I have the market!

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Anissa Allen:

    Hello , 

    My name is Anissa and I currently live in California . I started my real estate journey at the towards the end of 2022. My goal for 2023 is to purchase my first investment property. I have put in a few offers in Toledo and Cleveland Ohio but unfortunately none of the offers went through. I am looking for a new market at this time and would like to know any areas I should do look into ? Any recommendations?  


     I would definitely keep putting in offers. I know people that have submitted 40+ offers before getting something

  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Anissa Allen:

    Hello , 

    My name is Anissa and I currently live in California . I started my real estate journey at the towards the end of 2022. My goal for 2023 is to purchase my first investment property. I have put in a few offers in Toledo and Cleveland Ohio but unfortunately none of the offers went through. I am looking for a new market at this time and would like to know any areas I should do look into ? Any recommendations?  


     Have you looked into Cincinnati? Lower purchase price, cash flow and appreciation friendly (a mix), and many areas being gentrified!

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
  • Lakeland, FL · Member since 2018 · 242 posts · 148 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Anissa Allen:

    Hello , 

    My name is Anissa and I currently live in California . I started my real estate journey at the towards the end of 2022. My goal for 2023 is to purchase my first investment property. I have put in a few offers in Toledo and Cleveland Ohio but unfortunately none of the offers went through. I am looking for a new market at this time and would like to know any areas I should do look into ? Any recommendations?  

    I agree with @Remington Lyman, don't give up yet on that market just because you have been rejected a few times. There was a lady on BP podcast a year or two ago who called 80 banks before she got a yes on a loan. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus | Toledo · Member since 2019 · 607 posts · 768 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Anissa Allen:

    Hello , 

    My name is Anissa and I currently live in California . I started my real estate journey at the towards the end of 2022. My goal for 2023 is to purchase my first investment property. I have put in a few offers in Toledo and Cleveland Ohio but unfortunately none of the offers went through. I am looking for a new market at this time and would like to know any areas I should do look into ? Any recommendations?  


     Don't give up on Cleveland and Toledo. Those are affordable cash flowing markets! 

  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 18 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Anissa Allen:

    Hello , 

    My name is Anissa and I currently live in California . I started my real estate journey at the towards the end of 2022. My goal for 2023 is to purchase my first investment property. I have put in a few offers in Toledo and Cleveland Ohio but unfortunately none of the offers went through. I am looking for a new market at this time and would like to know any areas I should do look into ? Any recommendations?  

     I don’t think this is for you if you give up after a few offers 🤣

    But good job taking action

    I never mentioned that I was giving up. I am just looking for new markets to look into besides the markets that I am in currently . Yes still taking ACTION! 
  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 18 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Anthony L Amos Jr:
    Quote from @Anissa Allen:

    Hello , 

    My name is Anissa and I currently live in California . I started my real estate journey at the towards the end of 2022. My goal for 2023 is to purchase my first investment property. I have put in a few offers in Toledo and Cleveland Ohio but unfortunately none of the offers went through. I am looking for a new market at this time and would like to know any areas I should do look into ? Any recommendations?  


     Don't give up on Cleveland and Toledo. Those are affordable cash flowing markets! 

    No I’m not giving up! Just want to look into other markets as well! 
  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 18 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brandon P.:
    Quote from @Anissa Allen:

    Hello , 

    My name is Anissa and I currently live in California . I started my real estate journey at the towards the end of 2022. My goal for 2023 is to purchase my first investment property. I have put in a few offers in Toledo and Cleveland Ohio but unfortunately none of the offers went through. I am looking for a new market at this time and would like to know any areas I should do look into ? Any recommendations?  

    I agree with @Remington Lyman, don't give up yet on that market just because you have been rejected a few times. There was a lady on BP podcast a year or two ago who called 80 banks before she got a yes on a loan. 

    Thank you! Not giving up! Still in those markets just looking for a new market because inventory is pretty low. 
  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 18 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sam McCormack:
    Quote from @Anissa Allen:

    Hello , 

    My name is Anissa and I currently live in California . I started my real estate journey at the towards the end of 2022. My goal for 2023 is to purchase my first investment property. I have put in a few offers in Toledo and Cleveland Ohio but unfortunately none of the offers went through. I am looking for a new market at this time and would like to know any areas I should do look into ? Any recommendations?  


     Have you looked into Cincinnati? Lower purchase price, cash flow and appreciation friendly (a mix), and many areas being gentrified!

    I would definitely do my research on Cincinnati. Thank you for the recommendation 😀
  • Joshua JanusBusiness Member
    Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Anissa Allen:

    Hello , 

    My name is Anissa and I currently live in California . I started my real estate journey at the towards the end of 2022. My goal for 2023 is to purchase my first investment property. I have put in a few offers in Toledo and Cleveland Ohio but unfortunately none of the offers went through. I am looking for a new market at this time and would like to know any areas I should do look into ? Any recommendations?  




    Columbus, Ohio is a great market to invest in. The population has been growing here year over year over the last decade, it is home to The Ohio State University which has over 50,000 students that live here along with those that visit, and it also holds a diverse range of young professionals and traveling nurses to fill the demand of the multiple business corporations and hospitals stationed here. The appreciation rate in Columbus has been 8% higher than the national average over the last year. Tech companies are continuously moving here and establishing a footprint in Columbus as well. Intel is a great example, who is building the largest chip manufacturing plant in the US right here, and it will be a $20 billion dollar investment that brings a few new thousand jobs.

    https://www.dispatch.com/story/business/2022/01/21/intel-ohio-building-computer-chip-factories-licking-county-jersey-township/9173472002/

    Another example of economic growth is the upcoming Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Inpatient Hospital which is a 1.9million square foot hospital that will bring over 800 new beds and a thousand new jobs.

    https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/new-osu-hospital-expected-to-transform-health-care

    Here are a few more recent investments

    https://www.10tv.com/article/money/business/hydrogen-power-company-hyperion-bringing-700-jobs-to-columbus/530-25907aab-5517-4661-a9f3-d2ed2d5be6b0

    https://news.wosu.org/news/2022-02-08/rumpke-to-build-50-million-recycling-facility-in-columbus


    Check out The Complete Guide to the Columbus, Ohio Real Estate Market which goes through the Columbus, Ohio market in depth and will give you a better scope of where the highest levels of growth are taking place and where to look to invest.
  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 18 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joshua Janus:
    Quote from @Anissa Allen:

    Hello , 

    My name is Anissa and I currently live in California . I started my real estate journey at the towards the end of 2022. My goal for 2023 is to purchase my first investment property. I have put in a few offers in Toledo and Cleveland Ohio but unfortunately none of the offers went through. I am looking for a new market at this time and would like to know any areas I should do look into ? Any recommendations?  




    Columbus, Ohio is a great market to invest in. The population has been growing here year over year over the last decade, it is home to The Ohio State University which has over 50,000 students that live here along with those that visit, and it also holds a diverse range of young professionals and traveling nurses to fill the demand of the multiple business corporations and hospitals stationed here. The appreciation rate in Columbus has been 8% higher than the national average over the last year. Tech companies are continuously moving here and establishing a footprint in Columbus as well. Intel is a great example, who is building the largest chip manufacturing plant in the US right here, and it will be a $20 billion dollar investment that brings a few new thousand jobs.

    https://www.dispatch.com/story/business/2022/01/21/intel-ohio-building-computer-chip-factories-licking-county-jersey-township/9173472002/

    Another example of economic growth is the upcoming Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Inpatient Hospital which is a 1.9million square foot hospital that will bring over 800 new beds and a thousand new jobs.

    https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/new-osu-hospital-expected-to-transform-health-care

    Here are a few more recent investments

    https://www.10tv.com/article/money/business/hydrogen-power-company-hyperion-bringing-700-jobs-to-columbus/530-25907aab-5517-4661-a9f3-d2ed2d5be6b0

    https://news.wosu.org/news/2022-02-08/rumpke-to-build-50-million-recycling-facility-in-columbus


    Check out The Complete Guide to the Columbus, Ohio Real Estate Market which goes through the Columbus, Ohio market in depth and will give you a better scope of where the highest levels of growth are taking place and where to look to invest.
    Thank you Joshua for the great information  . Looks like Columbus is on the rise ! Let me do my research and if I have any questions I would DM you . 
  • Joshua JanusBusiness Member
    Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Anissa Allen:
    Quote from @Joshua Janus:
    Quote from @Anissa Allen:

    Hello , 

    My name is Anissa and I currently live in California . I started my real estate journey at the towards the end of 2022. My goal for 2023 is to purchase my first investment property. I have put in a few offers in Toledo and Cleveland Ohio but unfortunately none of the offers went through. I am looking for a new market at this time and would like to know any areas I should do look into ? Any recommendations?  




    Columbus, Ohio is a great market to invest in. The population has been growing here year over year over the last decade, it is home to The Ohio State University which has over 50,000 students that live here along with those that visit, and it also holds a diverse range of young professionals and traveling nurses to fill the demand of the multiple business corporations and hospitals stationed here. The appreciation rate in Columbus has been 8% higher than the national average over the last year. Tech companies are continuously moving here and establishing a footprint in Columbus as well. Intel is a great example, who is building the largest chip manufacturing plant in the US right here, and it will be a $20 billion dollar investment that brings a few new thousand jobs.

    https://www.dispatch.com/story/business/2022/01/21/intel-ohio-building-computer-chip-factories-licking-county-jersey-township/9173472002/

    Another example of economic growth is the upcoming Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Inpatient Hospital which is a 1.9million square foot hospital that will bring over 800 new beds and a thousand new jobs.

    https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/new-osu-hospital-expected-to-transform-health-care

    Here are a few more recent investments

    https://www.10tv.com/article/money/business/hydrogen-power-company-hyperion-bringing-700-jobs-to-columbus/530-25907aab-5517-4661-a9f3-d2ed2d5be6b0

    https://news.wosu.org/news/2022-02-08/rumpke-to-build-50-million-recycling-facility-in-columbus


    Check out The Complete Guide to the Columbus, Ohio Real Estate Market which goes through the Columbus, Ohio market in depth and will give you a better scope of where the highest levels of growth are taking place and where to look to invest.
    Thank you Joshua for the great information  . Looks like Columbus is on the rise ! Let me do my research and if I have any questions I would DM you . 

     Ok great! 

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Anissa Allen:

    Hello , 

    My name is Anissa and I currently live in California . I started my real estate journey at the towards the end of 2022. My goal for 2023 is to purchase my first investment property. I have put in a few offers in Toledo and Cleveland Ohio but unfortunately none of the offers went through. I am looking for a new market at this time and would like to know any areas I should do look into ? Any recommendations?  

    Hi Anissa, I personally love Columbus Ohio and as someone who works with a lot of out of state investors - there's so many catalysts for why you should invest here. Specifically, there's job growth (Intel, Honda, Amazon, Nationwide, etc) and the population is growing (unlike Cleveland or Cincy). I really see Columbus Ohio as an extremely safe bet for the next 10-20 years. Plus, there's still so many positive cash flowing and 1% deals here in Columbus Ohio. As a local investor and agent here in Columbus, let me know if you have any questions or want to connect!

  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Anissa Allen
    I would recommend Columbus, OH. It's a solid hybrid market of cash flow and appreciation. Columbus has lots of job opportunities and population growth. It’s great for investing from out of state since it’s landlord-friendly and has a low barrier of entry and cash flows.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Anissa Allen:

    Hello , 

    My name is Anissa and I currently live in California . I started my real estate journey at the towards the end of 2022. My goal for 2023 is to purchase my first investment property. I have put in a few offers in Toledo and Cleveland Ohio but unfortunately none of the offers went through. I am looking for a new market at this time and would like to know any areas I should do look into ? Any recommendations?  


     Well if you're buying you actually want a cold market. A hot market is going to favor sellers.

  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Central IN!

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Happy to chat on Kansas City. It is a great cashflow and appreciation market. Very HOT :)

  • Member since 2020 · 36 posts · 13 votes
    3y

    If you have your buy box dialed in I can help you in Buffalo, NY!

    Happy to connect

  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 492 votes
    3y

    Hey Anissa!

    I'd be happy to connect and discuss the Kansas City market with you. 

    Lots of great options and opportunities! 

  • Specialist · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2023 · 33 posts · 20 votes
    3y

    Hey Anissa, 

    I work with many investors all around the country. I would love to connect with you to see if I can help you!

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2020 · 150 posts · 68 votes
    3y

    I am going to throw a vote in for Detroit Michigan. Returns are solid and I believe there is a still a lot of room for growth in Detroit. 

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    @Anissa Allen

    You might want to follow the "Deep Dive" series we're doing on our BiggerPockets blog about Metro Detroit cities, City of Detroit Neighborhoods and comparing Metro Detroit to other hotspots investors usually consider:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/3094/99854-deep-dive-into-metro-detroit-cities-ecorse

    Our analysis is a template you can follow for any city. Doubt you'll find this much info for any other market in the US. So, why would you invest remotely anywhere else?

    Logical Property Management4.9446 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2018 · 380 posts · 244 votes
    3y

    @Anissa Allen I would recommend Detroit. Since you are open to areas like Toledo and Cleveland, I would then take a look at Detroit or Metro Detroit. As you research know this is not an easy market to invest in but if you have a great team, trusted party to talk things out, and willing to learn. You can do well here. 

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Anissa Allen:

    Hello , 

    My name is Anissa and I currently live in California . I started my real estate journey at the towards the end of 2022. My goal for 2023 is to purchase my first investment property. I have put in a few offers in Toledo and Cleveland Ohio but unfortunately none of the offers went through. I am looking for a new market at this time and would like to know any areas I should do look into ? Any recommendations?  



    Hi Anissa,

    Congratulations on taking the plunge into real estate investing 👍

    Stick with the Midwest for cashflow.

    I've always liked Ohio, Indiana and Michigan.

    Just make sure you have a "growth mindset" when it comes to these cash-flowing markets.

    Most tend to be tertiary markets in somewhat lower socio economic areas.

    To achieve a nice return on investment you will need to build a larger portfolio.

    Over the years, I have witnessed many investors getting frustrated in not achieving desirable enough returns when owning 1-2 properties.

    Find the right team first before looking for deals.

    The team can either make or break your investment.

    Wishing you much success.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.