New here, looking to learn all I can and start purchasing real estate.

New here, looking to learn all I can and start purchasing real estate.

Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 16 votes

Hello all, my name is Brittany I am 34 years old from southern California. I am a full time Paramedic, and my husband does heavy equipment among other things! We are ready to start our venture in real estate to secure our retirement. We have the income to purchase properties, but we have absolutely no idea what we're doing! I have been listening to BPP for a long time and decided it was time to make the jump. 

Outside of real estate and work we enjoy our family time, camping in the fall, Havasu in the summer! If anyone has any tips on how to get started please reach out. I am open to all advice! We really are wanting to purchase our first property as soon as possible as long as the numbers are right!

Thank you all for your time and I look forward to learning from everyone!

14Reply
550 views

Most Popular Reply

Nicholas L.Pro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
9mo

@Brittany Grisham

hello, and welcome.  do you have any more specific questions?  and are there particular niches or strategies you're interested in?

for example, I personally invest in long term rentals. I mostly look at single family homes, although I would like to try to buy something larger within the next few years. Others might be interested in short term rentals, or 10-20 unit apartment buildings, or student housing, or rent by the room, or fix and flip, or some other niche.

One of my other criteria is that I only buy deals where I can add value. value add is where the better returns are in real estate. I am not going to buy something overpriced on the MLS that is going to lose me money, and pretend it's not - i'd be better off just putting that money in a savings account.

As you may know, the market is very, very tough right now - interest rates are high, prices are high, and there is tremendous demand for inventory among both investors and primary buyers, who now compete for a lot of the same properties.  so, i'd encourage you to proceed with caution, especially if you're considering investing at a distance.

i would be happy to connect directly and answer any questions you have.  i don't have anything to sell and don't cheerlead for any particular market or niche.

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    9mo
    Quote from @Brittany Grisham:

    Hello all, my name is Brittany I am 34 years old from southern California. I am a full time Paramedic, and my husband does heavy equipment among other things! We are ready to start our venture in real estate to secure our retirement. We have the income to purchase properties, but we have absolutely no idea what we're doing! I have been listening to BPP for a long time and decided it was time to make the jump. 

    Outside of real estate and work we enjoy our family time, camping in the fall, Havasu in the summer! If anyone has any tips on how to get started please reach out. I am open to all advice! We really are wanting to purchase our first property as soon as possible as long as the numbers are right!

    Thank you all for your time and I look forward to learning from everyone!

    Hey @Brittany Grisham, welcome to the BP Forum! What type of properties most interests you, SFR, 2-4 MF, or 5+ MF? What is your price range/down payment amount? Are you looking for turn-key properties or something along the lines of a "fixer upper"? Are you looking for properties in your local market or somewhere else?

    • Brittany GrishamPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 16 votes
      9mo

      @Jaycee Greene I'm interested in single family homes for long term rentals outside of California. But not opposed to to other options. Hoping to keep the price of the home around 200k or under with the ability to add value. We have a good amount in savings for down payments. 

    • Jaycee GreenePro Member
      Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Brittany Grisham:

      @Jaycee Greene I'm interested in single family homes for long term rentals outside of California. But not opposed to to other options. Hoping to keep the price of the home around 200k or under with the ability to add value. We have a good amount in savings for down payments. 

       @Brittany Grisham Do you have any family or friends that live outside of CA? Or is there somewhere you vacation to often?

    • Brittany GrishamPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 16 votes
      9mo

      @Jaycee Greene yes I do! Arizona, Indiana, Nevada, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Utah!

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9mo

    @Brittany Grisham

    hello, and welcome.  do you have any more specific questions?  and are there particular niches or strategies you're interested in?

    for example, I personally invest in long term rentals. I mostly look at single family homes, although I would like to try to buy something larger within the next few years. Others might be interested in short term rentals, or 10-20 unit apartment buildings, or student housing, or rent by the room, or fix and flip, or some other niche.

    One of my other criteria is that I only buy deals where I can add value. value add is where the better returns are in real estate. I am not going to buy something overpriced on the MLS that is going to lose me money, and pretend it's not - i'd be better off just putting that money in a savings account.

    As you may know, the market is very, very tough right now - interest rates are high, prices are high, and there is tremendous demand for inventory among both investors and primary buyers, who now compete for a lot of the same properties.  so, i'd encourage you to proceed with caution, especially if you're considering investing at a distance.

    i would be happy to connect directly and answer any questions you have.  i don't have anything to sell and don't cheerlead for any particular market or niche.

    • Brittany GrishamPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 16 votes
      9mo

      @Nicholas L. 
      I do plan on purchasing out of state due to California being very expensive.

      I would like to focus on single family homes for long term rentals. I also would like to be able to add value by fixing up the home. As you said the housing market seems pretty difficult right now so I am cautious on what to buy. I am trying to learn what is a good deal and what would earn even just a little bit of positive cash flow. 

    • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Brittany Grisham:

      @Nicholas L. 
      I do plan on purchasing out of state due to California being very expensive.

      I would like to focus on single family homes for long term rentals. I also would like to be able to add value by fixing up the home. As you said the housing market seems pretty difficult right now so I am cautious on what to buy. I am trying to learn what is a good deal and what would earn even just a little bit of positive cash flow. 


      Buying a good deal is not that important, buying a good asset is. On most SFRs I have ever bought I have to look up what the purchase price was. I can tell you that at the time on most of them I was cringeing and felt I was paying too much. The 5k or 10k I was wringing my hands about at the time is totally irrelevant 10 years later. What matters today is that I bought them and that they are good properties in good locations. You don't need a real estate investor coaching to pick a good property. My wife and I have developed a rule that we only buy properties we would be okay to move in. The problem is that when you start chasing "good deals" you end up with compromised properties that are cheap for some reason. 

      I am not suggesting to be foolish with the purchase price,  but price should come after property. If new real estate investors would be buying cars, we would see noobs on BP posting about buying a orange Pontiac Aztec with a burnt title - because it's been sitting on the lot and the deal is really motivated to negotiate.

    • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
      Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      9mo

      @Brittany Grisham, Hey Brittney, you have gotten a lot of opinions and suggestions here such as buy in the right location, don't look for a good deal, look for a good property, etc. 

      Everyone will have their own strategy and it may work great for them. The same strategy may not work great for you or it may not appeal to you. And that is okay. Let me share with you my strategy as another option for you.

      I am a buy and hold investor but I only like to hold a property for 3 to 5 years. I also like to buy properties that are priced under market value that I can add value to so that the day I buy the property my net worth goes up. I find most of my properties through wholesalers and I buy in B to C - neighborhoods. I don't like D neighborhoods which would stand for Drug infested, Dangrrous, Dilapidated neighborhoods. However, I also don't usually buy in nicer neighborhoods either because the rent to price ration is low and so I would need to leave more money into the deal to get a loan and it wouldn't produce as high of a return on my money.

      Since my plan is to only keep the property for a few years, it is important that I get a good deal in order to make a profit within a few years. The way I can best estimate making a profit is by underwriting or running the numbers on the property. That would include. 

      1. How much is it going to cost to buy it?

      2. How much is it going to cost to fix it up?

      3. How much is it going to be worth when I'm done fixing it?

      4. How much rent can I charge and how much will the monthly expenses be?

      5. Would this be a good candidate as a rent-to-own or a lease option property so that I can minimize my expenses and selling costs and I can help someone become a home owner. 

      I don't cash flow a lot on the properties that I buy right now, however here are some examples of some of the numbers for the properties that I buy.

      $180,000 - Purchase Price 

      $7,000 - Closing costs (title and hard money fees).

      $50,000 - Rehab 

      $8,000 - Holding costs (hard money payments, utilities, etc. 

      $7,000 - Costs to refinance the house into a long-term loan

      $300,000 - After repair value

      $330,000 - Option strike price

      $5,000 - Option fee I collect upfront. 

      $1,800 - Rent

      $1,600 - Monthly expenses

      $200 Cash flow

      After 3 years I own about $217,000 on the loan. I sell the property to the tenant buyer for $330,000 and when you subtract the $22,000 that I had to leave into the property, my profit is around $86,000 on this deal. Let's say it doesn't go exactly to plan and I only make $66,000 on the deal over 3 years. It is still a 100% return per year over the 3 years. Then I can do a 1031 exchange into another undervalued property. 

      The more you learn to run the numbers, the easier it becomes. 

      I would encourage you to pick a market and get very familiar with the numbers in that market. Then practice running numbers and connect with other investors to ask if they will look over your numbers. Then start making offers that go with your numbers. Of course you will need to pick good people to fix up the property and you will need to be able to manage the rehab from a distance but those are all skills that you can learn along the way. 

      Good luck to you and your husband as you jump into this new venture of real estate.

  • Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2025 · 123 posts · 34 votes
    9mo

    @Brittany Grisham As long as you build a strong team (realtor, lender, appraiser, contractors if rehab) you can target real estate investment deals across the US. South Florida is a great location for real estate investing. Strong rental demand, rent growth and asset appreciation. I help investors finance their real estate construction/acquisition projects in Florida and California and I have great realtor partners in both states. If you'd like to discuss further feel free to DM.

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    Hey @Brittany Grisham, from my experience, the best move is picking one strategy, one market, and analyzing deals daily until the numbers make sense. Focus on building a solid team and don’t be afraid to look out of state if SoCal doesn’t cash flow. Happy to help if you ever want to talk markets or deals.

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate539 Reviews
    • Brittany GrishamPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 16 votes
      9mo

      @Kerlous Tadres my problem is every deal I analyze I feel like the numbers are actually good so I am pretty sure I'm doing something wrong or I'm missing something. 

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9mo
    Quote from @Brittany Grisham:

    Hello all, my name is Brittany I am 34 years old from southern California. I am a full time Paramedic, and my husband does heavy equipment among other things! We are ready to start our venture in real estate to secure our retirement. We have the income to purchase properties, but we have absolutely no idea what we're doing! I have been listening to BPP for a long time and decided it was time to make the jump. 

    Outside of real estate and work we enjoy our family time, camping in the fall, Havasu in the summer! If anyone has any tips on how to get started please reach out. I am open to all advice! We really are wanting to purchase our first property as soon as possible as long as the numbers are right!

    Thank you all for your time and I look forward to learning from everyone!

    Hey Brittany, welcome to BiggerPockets and congrats on taking the first step — that’s honestly the hardest part. A lot of people feel exactly how you do in the beginning, so you’re in good company. Since you’re looking to get your first property soon as long as the numbers make sense, I’d definitely suggest looking at markets that are still affordable but have strong long-term fundamentals. Columbus, Ohio is one of those places that has been blowing up in a good way. When I moved from Portland to Columbus in 2020 to start investing, I was shocked at how strong the macroeconomics were — tons of population growth, major job growth, and huge companies moving or expanding here like Intel, Amazon, Facebook, Google, Honda, Microsoft, LG, Anduril, and more. Even with all that growth, you can still find properties in the $120–180k range that hit the 1% rule and positive cash flow, which is rare in today’s market. It’s also super landlord-friendly, making it easier for beginners to get started. If you’re just getting going, take your time to learn how to analyze deals, build a local team if you’re considering long-distance investing, and lean on the BP community because everyone here remembers being in your shoes. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!

  • Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    9mo
    Quote from @Brittany Grisham:

    Hello all, my name is Brittany I am 34 years old from southern California. I am a full time Paramedic, and my husband does heavy equipment among other things! We are ready to start our venture in real estate to secure our retirement. We have the income to purchase properties, but we have absolutely no idea what we're doing! I have been listening to BPP for a long time and decided it was time to make the jump. 

    Outside of real estate and work we enjoy our family time, camping in the fall, Havasu in the summer! If anyone has any tips on how to get started please reach out. I am open to all advice! We really are wanting to purchase our first property as soon as possible as long as the numbers are right!

    Thank you all for your time and I look forward to learning from everyone!


     Hey Brittany! Let me know if you decide to start investing in the Arizona Market! Would love to connect if that time comes!

    All the best, 

    Erik New Western

    • Brittany GrishamPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 16 votes
      9mo

      @Erik Middendorf would 100% love an Airbnb in AZ in the future. That is a dream of mine, but I want one in Havasu and I fear we will lose money on that one so it is a far off dream of mine, once we are cash flowing more. 

  • Homeowner · Western Slope, CO · Member since 2023 · 42 posts · 21 votes
    9mo

    Hi, @Brittany Grisham!

    Thanks for the work you do! Very admirable and I am sure it is much appreciated in your community.

    There will never be a time when all the numbers make perfect sense for your first property. Be ready to take on some risk, as they say wealth is never made inside your comfort zone. Between you & your husband, assess the appropriate risk for the two of you and go for it! To help with limiting the shiny objects in your endeavor, I would strongly consider creating your Buy Box. This includes criteria like Risk, Financing, Location, and Purchase Price as you assess various opportunities. I would strongly encourage you to understand the investment you get into, otherwise everyone will make money except you. We do not want that happening :)

    Given that you are in SoCal, there is a very good chance a local meetup is near you. Check one out and get connected with some like-minded folks. By bringing positive energy and curiosity, you might find this very insightful as you continue to learn along the way.

    Good luck and have fun!

    • Brittany GrishamPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 16 votes
      9mo

      @Austin Plough thank you so much for the advise, I will look into a local meet up. And I will learn how to create a buy box, we are excited to get started on this journey, it's definitely a lot to learn and a lot to get through but we're hopeful we will figure it out!

  • Member since 2025 · 29 posts · 13 votes
    9mo

    Hey @Brittany Grisham, I'd recommend you reach out to @Jeremy Holden. He's an agent but acts more like a coach to first time investors. He helped me with my first and we've since worked on multiple together for new investors!

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 917 votes
    9mo

    @Brittany Grisham

    Hi Brittany, welcome! It sounds like you and your husband have a solid foundation to start investing. If you’re open to looking outside of California, the Midwest offers lower entry prices, strong cashflow, and easier scaling, which is great for first-time investors. Focus on learning the numbers, analyzing neighborhoods, and connecting with investor-friendly agents—having boots on the ground and systems in place makes a huge difference when starting out.

    • Brittany GrishamPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 16 votes
      9mo

      @Arman Ahmed Yes we definitely want to find homes out of state due to California housing being so inflated. I am learning how to analyze deals, but other than doing research on FB I'm not sure how to find what the median rental rate is for an area, and whether or not the area is in need of homes to rent. 

  • Homeowner · Western Slope, CO · Member since 2023 · 42 posts · 21 votes
    9mo

    @Brittany Grisham, do keep in mind that your Buy Box will likely change over time. Be willing to revisit and restructure as your interested markets change, your financial landscape improves, and goals evolve!

  • James JonesPro Member
    Investor · Collierville, TN 38017 · Member since 2017 · 597 posts · 448 votes
    9mo

    Brittany, welcome you’re in a great spot to start. The biggest advantage you have right now is stable income and a clear reason why you want to invest. Most people jump into real estate without either of those, so you’re already ahead.

    If I could simplify the entire “getting started” process into a clean roadmap, it would be this:

    1. Pick one strategy and ignore everything else at first.
    BRRRR, flips, mid-term rentals, short-term rentals, out-of-state rentals, they all work. But trying to learn them all at once creates overwhelm. Choose one lane and learn it deeply before adding anything else.

    2. Find the market that matches your budget and goals.
    Southern California is tough for cash flow, but there are plenty of landlord-friendly, affordable markets around the country. The right market will make learning feel much easier because the numbers actually work.

    3. Run the numbers the same way every time.
    A simple deal analyzer is your best friend. Once you know your buy box (price range, neighborhood criteria, minimum cash flow), the bad deals eliminate themselves.

    4. Start with something boring and predictable.
    Your first property should be a layup: rent-ready or light rehab, long-term tenant demand, and straightforward financing. You don’t need a home-run deal, you need the first one to be educational and stable.

    5. Build a small team early.
    Agent, lender, property manager (if out of state), and an inspector. You don’t need a huge network, you just need the right 3–5 people who’ve already done what you’re trying to do.

    The truth is, everyone starts out feeling unsure. The confidence comes after you close that first deal and realize it’s just a series of steps, not a mystery.

    If you ever want help breaking down markets or analyzing your first deal, happy to share what we’ve learned from running Section 8 rentals and rehabs at scale.

    You’re doing the right thing by getting educated first. Keep going, the first deal is closer than you think.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo
    Quote from @Brittany Grisham:

    Hello all, my name is Brittany I am 34 years old from southern California. I am a full time Paramedic, and my husband does heavy equipment among other things! We are ready to start our venture in real estate to secure our retirement. We have the income to purchase properties, but we have absolutely no idea what we're doing! I have been listening to BPP for a long time and decided it was time to make the jump. 

    Outside of real estate and work we enjoy our family time, camping in the fall, Havasu in the summer! If anyone has any tips on how to get started please reach out. I am open to all advice! We really are wanting to purchase our first property as soon as possible as long as the numbers are right!

    Thank you all for your time and I look forward to learning from everyone!

    Hi Brittany, welcome to real estate investing! Jumping into your first deal can be a little terrifying, which is why investing in or near your own area is often ideal. But if you plan to invest out of state, the most important thing I'd recommend is to build a strong team. Start by finding an investor-friendly agent who knows the local neighborhoods well, as they can connect you with the rest of your team, including property management, lenders, contractors, etc. Having the right team on the ground can make a huge difference in your real estate journey. For properties, I'd recommend you go for turnkey properties to get your feet wet while you focus on learning the ropes of real estate investing as you explore other strategies.
  • Todd AndersonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2023 · 392 posts · 175 votes
    9mo

    @Brittany Grisham,

    Welcome to the BP community.  With the type of post you made you will get a lot of differing strategies and different markets to look in.

    I would suggest to look into a market that you know something about.  Make sure it is a market that is growing in population and employment.  This way you are able to get in the way of appreciation.  Also make sure the market you look at is landlord friendly in its laws and taxation.  

    I suggest to investors in your position to look into New Construction investing.  This can manytimes make things easier from a distance.  A build to rent property can get you up and running faster and lower the maintenance costs that you would normally find.  Another thing that many people don't know is that the cost of new construction is for the first time in over 30 years less than existing homes.  and on top of that many of the builders that I have worked with are willing to add incentives that existing homes can't, like rate buydowns and free property management.

    Whatever strategy you use make sure you pick the right market.

    Best of luck getting started.  let me know if I could be of help.

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9mo
    Quote from @Brittany Grisham:

    Hello all, my name is Brittany I am 34 years old from southern California. I am a full time Paramedic, and my husband does heavy equipment among other things! We are ready to start our venture in real estate to secure our retirement. We have the income to purchase properties, but we have absolutely no idea what we're doing! I have been listening to BPP for a long time and decided it was time to make the jump. 

    Outside of real estate and work we enjoy our family time, camping in the fall, Havasu in the summer! If anyone has any tips on how to get started please reach out. I am open to all advice! We really are wanting to purchase our first property as soon as possible as long as the numbers are right!

    Thank you all for your time and I look forward to learning from everyone!


     Welcome to the BP community!

  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    Hi Brittany, welcome! 🙌 Next step is really just applying what you’ve picked up from the podcast. I’d start by analyzing a few deals. BP has calculators that you can use.  You can also check out Rentometer or Zillow Rentals to get an idea of market rents. It also helps to put together your buy box (price range, areas you like, property type) so you know what you’re actually targeting. And talking to a lender early will be helpful as well as  they’ll help you figure out what you’re pre-approved for, which makes it way easier to narrow down markets and properties. Hope this helps and best of luck on your journey!

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9mo

    @Brittany Grisham

    How much do you know about Property Classes?

    Recommend you spend some time learning about them, so you don’t mistakenly buy a property that will NEVER meet your expectations!

    Why is Property Class so important for investors to understand and apply in their investing strategies?

    Because the Property Class dictates the Class of the tenant pool that the property will attract.

    The Tenant Class greatly impacts rental income stability and property maintenance/damage by tenants.

    Both Property Class and Tenant Class will affect what type of contractors, handymen and property management companies you should target and be willing to deal with a property.

    The Property Class will also impact the maintenance & renovations you do to, “Maintain to the Neighborhood”.

    Why is that important?

    Well, if you buy & renovate a property in Class D area to Class A standards, what Tenant Class will actually rent it?

    Or, if you put several Class D tenants in a Class A four-plex, what do you think will happen to the property?

    So, if you fail to apply the correct assumptions to a property, your expectations won’t be met, and it may even be a financial disaster.

    We use the following to rank Property Classes, in order of importance:

    • Property Tenant Pool: closely linked to location, but not always.
    • Property Location: closely linked to tenant pool, but not always.
    • Property Condition & Amenities: it’s important to, “Maintain to the Neighborhood.”

    Key metrics for each Property Class:

    Class A Properties:
    Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 680+, no convictions/evictions in last 7 years.
    Tenant Default: 0-5% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
    Section 8: Class A rents are too high and won’t be approved.
    Vacancies: 5-10%, depending on market conditions.
    Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, 3-5 years for positive cashflow, but you get highest relative rent & value appreciation.

    Class B Properties:
    Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 620-680, some blemishes, no convictions/evictions in last 5 years.
    Tenant Default
    : 5-10% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
    Vacancies
    : 10-15%, depending on market conditions.
    Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, 1-3 years for positive cashflow, balanced amounts of relative rent & value appreciation.
    Section 8: Class B rents are usually too high for the Section 8 program.

    Class C Properties:
    Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 560-620, many blemishes, but should have no convictions/evictions in last 3 years. Verifying recent 2-years of rental history very important! Same for 2-years of job/income stability.
    Tenant Default: 10-20% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
    Section 8: Class C rents usually meet program requirements, proper screening still recommended.
    Vacancies: 10-20%, depending on market conditions and tenant screening.
    Cashflow vs Appreciation: Should cashflow immediately, at the lower end of relative rent & value appreciation.

    Class D Properties:
    Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores under 560, little to no good tradelines, lots of collections & chargeoffs, but should have no convictions/evictions in last 12 months. Verifying last 2-years of rental history and income/employment extremely important to find the “best of the worst”.
    Tenant Default: 20-30% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
    Section 8: Class D rents meet program requirements, often challenges to pass Section 8 inspection.
    Vacancies: 20%+, depending on market conditions and tenant screening.
    Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, all cashflow with little, maybe even negative, relative rent & value appreciation.

    Where did we get our FICO credit score information from?

    Check out this chart:

    FICO Score

    Pct of Population

    Default Probability

    800 or more

    13.00%

    1.00%

    750-799

    27.00%

    1.00%

    700-749

    18.00%

    4.40%

    650-699

    15.00%

    8.90%

    600-649

    12.00%

    15.80%

    550-599

    8.00%

    22.50%

    500-549

    5.00%

    28.40%

    Less than 499

    2.00%

    41.00%

    Source: Fair Isaac Company

    Make sure you understand the Class of properties you are looking at and the corresponding results to expect.

    Metro Detroit has 132 cities, the City of Detroit 183 Neighborhoods, which we’re analyzing and classifying. 

    Horror Stories from those that did NOT Understand What they were Buying:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1137397-baltimore-a-path-to-never-ending-pain

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/432/topics/1231840-sell-at-a-loss-or-rent-at-a-loss

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/840134-memphis-turnkey-tenant-turnover-costs

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/963/topics/1195280-experience-of-oos-investing-in-cleveland-after-15-years

    Logical Property Management4.9446 Reviews
  • Frankie VozziBusiness Member
    Member since 2025 · 335 posts · 82 votes
    9mo

    Welcome aboard Brittany! I sent you a dm happy to connect!

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9mo

    One thing I strongly encourage you to consider is that the 3 golden rules in real estate are location, location and location. 

    If you buy in a good location, you will be much more likely to succeed. If you buy in a bad location, you will more than likely hemorrhage cash for a few years then sell at a loss. Your spreadsheets and deal analysis tools are not going to be accurate in real life, so don’t give them much credit. Location is the one thing that what will make or break you. 

    What makes a good location? Somewhere with low supply and high demand, population growth, a diverse and robust job market (even better if there are a lot of recession-proof jobs such as in government, education, etc as opposed to boom and bust jobs like energy and tech), high appreciation of both values and rent, desirability (somewhere people choose to live, not cheap locations where people live because it’s all they can afford but don’t really choose to live), and ideally within 20-30 minutes of where you live, but up to an hour away is acceptable if you’re just getting started, or farther if you know the location on a house by house level and have personal connections there. Landlord/ tenant laws are irrelevant if you buy in a good location. What makes expensive locations expensive and cheap locations cheap? Also I would work a value add component into your strategy. Being able to force appreciation through value add and the use of leverage are the two main things that make real estate have higher returns than other investment vehicles. Real estate is almost never passive, its very hands on. Good luck! 

  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo
    Quote from @Brittany Grisham:

    Hello all, my name is Brittany I am 34 years old from southern California. I am a full time Paramedic, and my husband does heavy equipment among other things! We are ready to start our venture in real estate to secure our retirement. We have the income to purchase properties, but we have absolutely no idea what we're doing! I have been listening to BPP for a long time and decided it was time to make the jump. 

    Outside of real estate and work we enjoy our family time, camping in the fall, Havasu in the summer! If anyone has any tips on how to get started please reach out. I am open to all advice! We really are wanting to purchase our first property as soon as possible as long as the numbers are right!

    Thank you all for your time and I look forward to learning from everyone!


     That's awesome. Congrats on getting started. Your best bet is to find a good market in the Midwest that is landlord friendly and has a ton of tech investments going on. You guys can look into a couple different states.

    BP has the agent finder tool to connect with investor agents. They should be able to educate you on the market, give you good lenders, property managers, and contractors. They will give you off-market deals that have equity and cashflow day 1.

    Goodluck!

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    Hey Brittany,

    There are so many ways to get started! I suggest connecting with local real estate brokers/agents, lenders, etc. in your area. You might be able to find someone who can mentor and guide you on your first deal.

    You can start by doing a quick Google search for local real estate investor group, or you can use the Meetup app.

    If you have any more questions, please PM me! And best of luck in your real estate journey!

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    Hey Brittany,

    There are so many ways to get started! I suggest connecting with local real estate brokers/agents, lenders, etc. in your area. You might be able to find someone who can mentor and guide you on your first deal.

    You can start by doing a quick Google search for local real estate investor group, or you can use the Meetup app.

    If you have any more questions, please PM me! And best of luck in your real estate journey!

  • Specialist · Member since 2025 · 483 posts · 270 votes
    9mo

    Brittany, love the urgency and that you're ready to buy as soon as the numbers work. Two quick wins: pick one simple first play (owner‑occ duplex/triplex or a rent‑ready SFR) and set a tight buy box so you can analyze real listings weekly; then talk to a lender about owner‑occupied 2–4 unit options so your target price and down payment are clear.

    Are you leaning toward house hacking locally in SoCal, or buying a lower‑cost rental out of state with a PM?

  • Real Estate Coach · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 171 posts · 64 votes
    9mo
    Hey Brittany! Welcome! The first investment property is always the scariest but with the right guidance you and your husband can lock one up in no time!
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9mo

    Welcome @Brittany Grisham! You’re in a great spot to get started, and it’s awesome that you’re already deep into BPP. From the tax side, a couple things to keep in mind as you buy your first place.

    If you go with a long-term rental, you’ll get steady depreciation, but most of the losses will stay passive. If you choose a short-term rental, the rules are a little different, and with the right material participation, a lot of people end up getting big first-year tax savings that can offset their W2 income. It’s one of the most common starter strategies for new investors.

    Also, track every startup and rehab cost from day one, and keep your structure simple, rentals usually don't need an S Corp. An LLC for protection and filing everything on your personal return works just fine in the beginning.

    You’re definitely in a strong place to take that first step. Goodluck and happy to connect!

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD™ | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Memphis, TN · Member since 2024 · 180 posts · 223 votes
    9mo

    Hey Brittany, welcome! Love that you and your husband are jumping into real estate together and that’s exactly how a lot of my clients got started. If you’re looking for an easy entry point, you might want to check out markets like Memphis. We see lower price points, strong rent-to-price ratios, and landlord-friendly laws that make it a solid place for first-time investors to get their footing without overextending.

    Best of luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.