Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Austin Shade
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pomona, CA
Votes |
Rent To Retirement How Does It Really Work?

Austin Shade
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pomona, CA
Posted Jan 26 2021, 10:30

Hi there, My name is Austin I’m new to the Bigger Pockets world and I’m looking to buy my first property this year within the next 6 months if possible. I’m 23 years old I’ve been saving money for a property since I was 17. I live in Southern California where the market is extremely saturated, prices are high, and cash flow is extremely difficult. I have enough money to get something out here but the numbers make more sense out of state and there are more cash flow properties in places like Florida,

Missouri, Ohio, and Alabama etc. So I’ve come to the conclusion that It would be the smartest move to buy a property in another state and continue to live here in California. My question is in regards to the service that Bigger Pockets always promotes on every podcast, Rent to Retirement. So I understand they are turnkey properties and I recently just learned what that means, but I started doing my research on new construction homes in Florida and I really like them I found a good price and it says it would cash flow $359/month or $4,308/annually. I found this to be amazing and I have my sights locked on this property, but then I was on YouTube yesterday on the Bigger Pockets channel looking for a video where they went more in depth over this service. I didn’t find that, but I did find a video basically going over the risks and dangers of getting into turn key real estate. Now I am in no way questioning the integrity of Bigger Pockets, but I’m new into real estate and I’m trying to educate and make informed decisions. So my question is Is Rent To Retirement a smart investment? Or Should I buy a piece of property on my own terms and renovate it and all that? Are they a legit service? Are there hidden fees? Should a turnkey be my first buy? What are the PROS & CONS of using this service? Also am I in charge of getting tenants or do they do that as well? In the video Brandon was saying you can’t trust turnkey companies numbers and I sat down and crunch the numbers and it all came together. I guess all I’m asking for is some guidance. I’m really excited to jump head first into real estate and take it head on but I just don’t want to make a move with a lack of understanding of this specific service. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated

-Austin Shade

Loading replies...