Any way to get the zestimate changed?

26 Replies

Originally posted by @Anthony Dooley :

@Michael Plante if you are not using a Realtor to sell your property, you will not get full market price for it and you will be dealing with unqualified buyers who may not be able to close. Agents will not show your house to their buyers if you are a FSBO.

Actually we are offering 33% higher commission to selling agent than if they were to sell a property listed by a agent.    :)

So yes we do have agents showing our house and pushing it harder than a neighboring house which is for sale. 

As far as not getting full price not using a realtor, having been doing this for 30 years and having passed the real estate exam in NY, NC and FL  five years ago I would've agreed with you 

But in this digital age I hundred percent disagree with your statement 

@Michael Plante   We can agree to disagree, but you are getting low ball offers from a Zillow listing. The digital age doesn't seem to be working. If you are offering a higher commission, why not just list it with an agent with a normal commission? You could also get an appraisal and put that number in your listing to validate your asking price.

Originally posted by @Anthony Dooley :

@Michael Plante  We can agree to disagree, but you are getting low ball offers from a Zillow listing. The digital age doesn't seem to be working. If you are offering a higher commission, why not just list it with an agent with a normal commission? You could also get an appraisal and put that number in your listing to validate your asking price.

Actually had it listed through an agent for 6 Months at the price they said it should be listed at

Dropped the price 10 k went another 3 months with a realtor 

THEY are the ones who told me the zestimate was killing the lack of offers as told to then by their clients. 

So  now we are back to what this thread is suppose to actually be about 

If you don't know how to get the zestimate changed that's fine but that's what this thread is intended for. 

@Michael Plante It sounds like you're bumping up against a limitation of Zillow. I have no idea how they would algorithmically compute the value of a dock, tennis court, RV parking, or really any other high dollar added feature. I will posit that putting in a dock for $100K really does limit the buyer pool if you want to get anything close to a dollar-for-dollar return. I run into the same thing where I invest where some people have built enclosed boat storage buildings as an add-on to their garage. It will never, ever, appraise out "properly" (in their eyes) but it has disproportionally high value to boat owners that see it as a way to "save $200 per month on boat storage!" But then you limit the rental/buyer pool to that narrow niche. Consequently, vacancy rates and days-on-market are way, way longer than average.

Originally posted by @Federico Gutierrez :

Just curious why You would want to show your home is worth more? City will raise your taxes

We are selling the house.  Real estate agent said a few people told them asking price is too high compared to the zestimate 

Zestimate isn't taking into consideration the $100,000 dock that was installed Even though it was done with all necessary permits 

Originally posted by @Michael Plante :
Originally posted by @Federico Gutierrez:

Just curious why You would want to show your home is worth more? City will raise your taxes

We are selling the house.  Real estate agent said a few people told them asking price is too high compared to the zestimate 

Zestimate isn't taking into consideration the $100,000 dock that was installed Even though it was done with all necessary permits 

Real estate agent must know how to address these Zestmate objections - they know better that Zillow is nothing but average of the prices in some radius without consideration of the interior, updates etc. 

Since you are FSBO, you should counter the selling agent words - he/she just trying to make a deal.

Do not increase your property value at the county auditor  - it will raise your taxes.

Zillow is not a valid source of info: it's a marketing tool. They have properties look like listings when they are not for sale, they have absurd rent zestimate or for sale. Don't get fooled by these comments - the agents must educate their clients and not push you to look for solutions with Zillow. 

Tell them go to Realtor.com and get real comps if they don't have an access to MLS :)

Have you looked at other properties with and without the docks and determined what value it adds?  Not what you paid, very few big home improvements add value equal to their costs.  And a specialized one like a dock even less so.  Try getting actual sales prices for similar, nearby properties with and without docks and see what (if any) difference it makes.