Firefighters and First Responders in Multifamily

Firefighters and First Responders in Multifamily

Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes

Any other firefighters and first responders out there in real estate investment?  I work for Los Angeles County Fire Department as a firefighter/paramedic in the West Hollywood area.  Currently invested in over 700 units of multifamily and always looking to connect with fellow first responders.

39Reply
1,381 views

Most Popular Reply

Brian BurkePro Member
Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
6y

I’m a former first responder, 14 years in various roles.  Some as a police officer, some as a 911 dispatcher, some as a firefighter/EMT (FF-I, FF-II, then driver-operator on engine company and truck).  Even did a part-time stint with AMR on a BLS ambulance (I guess I get bored easily, LOL).  Fun times!

Then I decided to turn my side-gig of real estate investing into my full-time focus.  That was almost 20 years ago and while I really loved my former vocation, I’ve never looked back.  Since that time I’ve raised way over $100 million from investors and bought over a half a billion dollars of real estate.  Man, it seems like two completely different lives. 

The difference is I worked for a small city (less than 50K people) and you work for a REAL fire department—I grew up watching squad 51 and engine 51 on my tiny four-channel color TV, LOL.  You see more trauma in a 24 hour shift than I saw in a year.  

See this reply in the discussion

242 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hey Myles.  I lived in Thousand Oaks for about 10 years and did my first volunteering with Ventura County FD. We'll definitely connect soon.

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hi Anthony.  Great to have you with us to represent all areas of first responders.

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hi Wendy.  Another from Washington!  You all are representing strong.  Glad to hear from you.

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hi David. Great to have you.  Where around the country are you investing?  Any specific markets that you like?

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hi Alex.  Thanks for giving back for 16 years as a volunteer fireman!  I started off for LACoFD as a Call Firefighter.  Not badged but we received a small stipend.  Very small.  So I appreciate all the volunteers who give their time and energy.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    Hey everybody!

    I too am a full-time Firefighter/Paramedic in Phoenix, AZ. I've been in the fire service now for 11 years full-time, 17 total, counting volunteer time. I am also a Real Estate Investor in the Columbus/Cincinnati markets of Ohio. Single family and multi. I love me some multi of course. Good to meet you all and hopefully we can work on some future deals together!

  • Rental Property Investor · Florence · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd my wife is a state trooper, and we are house hacking a triplex while renting to a commercial vehicle officer it's been great so far!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Hey Hud! I have about 21 years of service in the Marine Corps (some active duty, some deployments, now part time in the reserves) and I've been working as a police officer in the Los Angeles (West LA area), currently assigned to the Motorcycle unit. I'm also using my VA benefits for an MBA program with Pepperdine University, and just now trying to get started in real estate investment -- looking specifically to get into multi-family units!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2011 · 513 posts · 290 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd Great thread to see all of these first responders present. We just returned from the Best Ever Conference and are considering some passive investing in syndications and have a couple handfuls of single families in San Antonio. I am a Battalion Chief with the San Antonio Fire Department special operations battalion and love my job. I don’t intend to quit but our little portfolio offers options. I’ve got a hundred more replies to read to see who all answered your post but I’m glad you asked the question. Are you syndicating or passive investing? Stay safe.

  • Real Estate Syndicator · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 903 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd I was Firefighter/EMT in the U.S. Airforce 2006-2010 out of Ellsworth AFB, SD. Great job with some solid guys/gals. Plenty of wildland fires, flightline calls and medical midnight soirees. Definitely miss the station nights and camaraderie. Thanks to all those continuing the fight.

    I now co-own a Multifamily Syndication investment firm and invest in multifamily real estate out of state, currently North Carolina. Always happy to network and connect.

  • RodTra SmithPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Red Oak, TX · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    Hello!  I'm a Firefighter in Dallas, Texas and my wife is a Realtor.  We are buy and hold investors and our portfolio only includes single family.  We're actively looking for multifamily properties so we can exponentially grow the portfolio to the point where I can "turn in" my Turn Out gear very soon!

    Rodney Smith

  • Mission Viejo, CA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd Hey my county neighbor! I'm a FF/PM at LA City FS 61. I've probably run into you before at the hospital. I'll keep an eye out for you and say hi if I see you. I'm still trying to get my feet off the ground in REI. Been reading everything I can get my hands on for the past few year and in the middle of obtaining my real estate license. I'm interested in OOS markets which are landlord friendly. I'd love to get into multi-families but I'll most likely be starting the single family route. I'm avoiding turnkey companies because I don't like the thought that most of them are doing the rehab, keep all of the equity and then even charge a slight premium for a rented out property. I'd rather rehab them myself and create that equity.

    Congratulations on what looks like to be a successful venture into Real Estate with your company. I'd love to hear more about it sometime. Take care!

  • Rental Property Investor · New Meadows, ID · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Hey Hud! I live and work in Idaho for the US Forest Service as a forest fire fire fighter with my wife and daughter.  My wife is an elementary teacher and could be counted as a first responder as well. Lol! We live in a beautiful mountain town north of Boise with every imaginable recreational option out there.  In addition to literally building my own home we also have a couple of SFRs.  our goal is to build our portfolio to augment our pensions in the upcoming retirements .  Be Well, and Good Luck!

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Hey there @Hud Floyd

    I was an 11B (infantry) in the army for 7 years as well as a volunteer firefighter, starting as a junior in 2006 and finally leaving the volunteer field in 2015. I also worked in a jail for 4.5 years, I feel like that’d be considered second response? Haha. I’m currently heading into my 4th year as a police officer in Pittsburgh (3rd dept though). After dedicating all my adulthood to the public safety side of things, I’m now focusing on and trying to hustle my way to building my own real estate portfolio.

    I’ve realized this is what I need to do to finally grow a beard 😂. Congratulations on your success, your achievements are truly inspirational. Stay safe out there

  • Rental Property Investor · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Love seeing all the first responders on the same journey!

    6 years in LA county (Torrance PD) and just moved behind the Orange curtain to a new PD. New to the journey, currently under contract on my first SFR in TN and searching for my second deal. I'd love to connect as well!

    Stay safe everyone.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Tyler Knox

    TPD?!! Awesome...SGT Peterson was my on my TAC Staff (LASD Class 371). Still have a couple of friends there too (I’m a Motor). Recently sold our first house in Torrance we bought when we got married. Looking to use the gains on a legitimate rental property. I’ve been looking in TN too. Haven’t hooked anything yet though....

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hi Ryan.  Great to hear from you.  I grew up in Long Beach through grade school and returned to go to CSULB. Worked at the Belmont Athletic Club on 2nd Street during college.  Look forward to connecting.

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hey Joseph.  You are a busy man!  Congrats on your first baby, first house, and first taste of being a landlord.

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd, Deputy Sheriff our of Wisconsin here. My wife and I are just at the beginning stage of our real estate investment careers. I have been a Deputy for the last 3 years and have been grateful and honor to be in the position. I will always remain attached someway to LE but am looking for a new path to create the freedom my family is looking for.

    Would like to thank everyone on this forum for your service to the communities of this great nation! 🇺🇸

  • Bill R.Pro Member
    Investor · Branford, CT · Member since 2014 · 131 posts · 67 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Hud Floyd:

    Hey Bill. Sounds like you're a vet in the Rehabbing space with 16 years.  Ever considered multifamily?  Lot of scalability.

    Have been over past few years. Keep going back and forth on it...... 

  • Rental Property Investor · Succasunna, NJ · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote
    6y

    Hello to all of my first responder family,

    I’m currently a police officer in a small NJ department with 6 years on. Prior to being a police officer I graduated with a Ba of Architecture degree and worked in various Architectural firms and in the construction field.

    I just recently started reading and researching about real estate investing due to another good friend who brought it up to me, also on the job, and found Bigger Pockets. I listened to a good majority of the podcasts and am currently reading How to invest with little or no money.

    I’ve been looking for multi family rental properties to invest in, however, I am also trying to get my wife on board and take the first step.

    Stay safe all!

  • Investor · Jackson, GA · Member since 2011 · 228 posts · 126 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd 15 year firefighter for Clayton County GA. I've got an 8 plex and a 10 lot mobile home park here in Georgia. Glad to see others doing the same. Your numbers are HUGE!

  • Investor · Port Saint Lucie, FL · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd

    Hello Brothers and Sisters,

    My name is Rickey but most call me Rickey Rod. I’m a Battalion Chief with Palm Beach County Fire Rescue, Florida. We are a paid department with 1,600 strong over 49 stations and growing.

    I'm a Realtor, Registered Nurse, and Real Estate Investor. My portfolio is sitting at 17 doors spread out over two states. I buy sfh and mfh. As a matter of fact, I just closed on a Michigan SFH this past Wednesday.

    I absolutely love my career and profession but real estate has allowed me to synergize my overall life. Real estate Investing is also helping me prepare for life after firefighting. Often times, transitioning away from the fire department has been a struggle for many of us because our identities are so defined by what we do.

    I look forward to expanding my knowledge as I continue to growth my investment business.

    Please feel free to reach out for coffee or a chat.

    Take care everyone and keep striving towards your real estate goals.

    Rickey Rod

  • Bronx, NY · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Hello all, 

    I have been a PO for the last five years in the big apple (NY). I got started three years ago with a single family home rental in PA and am now moving forward this year on buying another. It is nice to see that others have been able to be successful in real estate coming from a public service background. It is definitely a pleasure to hear from you and would love to connect with you all and learn all I can from you!

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hey Ty.  Welcome and best of luck on finding your first deal.  Once you jump in you'll never look back.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.