Firefighters and First Responders in Multifamily

Firefighters and First Responders in Multifamily

Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes

Any other firefighters and first responders out there in real estate investment?  I work for Los Angeles County Fire Department as a firefighter/paramedic in the West Hollywood area.  Currently invested in over 700 units of multifamily and always looking to connect with fellow first responders.

39Reply
1,372 views

Most Popular Reply

Brian BurkePro Member
Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
6y

I’m a former first responder, 14 years in various roles.  Some as a police officer, some as a 911 dispatcher, some as a firefighter/EMT (FF-I, FF-II, then driver-operator on engine company and truck).  Even did a part-time stint with AMR on a BLS ambulance (I guess I get bored easily, LOL).  Fun times!

Then I decided to turn my side-gig of real estate investing into my full-time focus.  That was almost 20 years ago and while I really loved my former vocation, I’ve never looked back.  Since that time I’ve raised way over $100 million from investors and bought over a half a billion dollars of real estate.  Man, it seems like two completely different lives. 

The difference is I worked for a small city (less than 50K people) and you work for a REAL fire department—I grew up watching squad 51 and engine 51 on my tiny four-channel color TV, LOL.  You see more trauma in a 24 hour shift than I saw in a year.  

See this reply in the discussion

242 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Reno NV · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Hi everyone! I'm a former Medic/ff and former flight medic now teaching medics /ACLS/PALS at community college in Sacramento area. Looking to get into RE to help my two kids on their journey and build a little extra cash flow on the side..Thanks HUD f post!!

  • Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Hud Floyd Hey guys, currently working as a Customs and Border Protection officer in Buffalo,NY. Still pretty new to investing; I currently own one duplex that I’m house hacking and plan on purchasing another property this summer after I save up some more money. Nice to meet you all!

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hey Mike Terranova.  Great having you.  Yes, let's find some great MF deals!

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hey Erik D.  Denver is a crazy, great market.  You've got the SoCal connection.  I'm in Marina Del Rey as of last year.  Love it.  And yes testing for County is also crazy.  Took me nine years before I got on.  

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hey Matt E. Welcome to the RE world of investing.  You live in a great market and a great city.  Good luck on your closing.

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hey Eric Martin.  RE can be a great way to build that cash flow and leave something for the kids.  Sacramento is a strong market right now.

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hey Jon.  Welcome to I believe our first Customs and Border Protection!  Sounds like you're starting to build your momentum in RE.  Great to meet you.

  • Lender · Thornton, PA · Member since 2014 · 106 posts · 56 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd

    Hi - worked as a volunteer F/F and paid position on weekends for 20 plus years while a full time PD motor cycle officer 15 years next to neighboring Philly and a corrections officer for 3 years prior to full time PD... whew fun times in another life. I have actively been in residential/ commercial RE for over 25years, currently with small resi portfolio and partnered with industrial group. I am a commercial finance broker for small cap balance investors. Enjoy linking up with like minded individuals plus not many people out there understand First Responders and the crazy lifestyle. Thank all of you for services.

  • Joshua KempPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · San Angelo, TX · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    Fire Fighter/Paramedic here in San Angelo, Texas. Not in the multi family business yet, but we do have a couple of SFH in my area, 100k population.

  • Rental Property Investor · Virginia Beach, VA (Virginia Beach) · Member since 2019 · 173 posts · 129 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd I am active duty Navy, my partner is a 10 year veteran of NYPD and a retired member of FDNY. We are currently investing in Multi-Family in the Hampton Roads region of Virginia.

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd I am a firefighter for Ventura County Fire Department. I currently work in Newbury Park. I have a single family home in Idaho that I rent, but I am looking to expand my real estate portfolio. I have a one month old son and am hoping to be able to provide for him in the future. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2018 · 244 posts · 140 votes
    6y

    @Wendy Carpenter

    Thought you should be in this post. If you aren’t already 😀

  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd

    I’m a federal agent and have been investing for 6 years.

  • Yelm, WA · Member since 2017 · 120 posts · 84 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Justin Frank:

    @Wendy Carpenter

    Thought you should be in this post. If you aren’t already 😀

    Thanks, Justin! 

    Hi everyone, I’ve been a professional firefighter/EMT in Thurston County, WA for 10 years. I have 5 residential doors and 3 mini storage locations. 

  • Investor · Harrison, AR · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd

    Hi Hud!!

    I'm a fire fighter/Emt from north Arkansas!! Been investing for 4 years around the country! Always looking to connect to like minded investors!!

  • Alex AllevaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Mamaroneck, NY · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd

    Hello everyone

    I’ve been a volunteer fireman in westchester county NY for the last 16 years. Currently own and rent a quadplex in lower westchester but looking for more multi families to buy.

  • Lender · Kalispell, MT · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd

    This is a great post and it has been interesting to see all of the first responders who invest!

    I am currently a police officer for Los Angeles for 9 years.

    My wife and I purchased a triplex in Long Beach in 2015. We house hacked it and ended up selling it in late 2019. With the new laws in place we decided to sell and take our profits and roll it into a 1031 exchange. We are still working through the 1031, but have officially closed on 2 properties in Kansas City and hopefully soon 1 in Alabama. We decided to go with a turnkey company just based on our timeline for identifying properties.

    We would like to branch out of turnkey and get into Multifamily eventually.

    It was a pleasure to meet you and congratulations on your huge success in the investing world.

  • Lender · Kalispell, MT · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Alexander Lim

    Congratulations on your first investment! Would like to hear more about your property and location. Send me a direct message if you want!

    We are in the same department! Stay safe!

  • Real Estate Broker · Staten Island, NY · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 43 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd

    Awesome! I’m an NYPD Narcotics Detective. Just bought my first house, has a studio apartment in it as well that I have rented out so I have my first taste of being a landlord. We also just had our first baby so I’m just trying to get everything settled in, recoup and then finally get my first investment property and blow up from there!

    It’s very difficult to do anything else (yet I also am a real estate agent and assistant financial planner) because I’m at work at least 60 hours a week, and extremely busy for every minute that I’m working.

    Pleasure to meet you and everyone else in this thread, great topic!

  • Rental Property Investor · n/a · Member since 2019 · 143 posts · 117 votes
    6y

    Former volunteer firefighter of 4 years.  Decided to resign, go back to school for my MBA, and move about a half hour south of where I grew up.  Lot of great memories and even greater friends along the way.  Very happy to have that service as a chapter in my life.  Only have one property right now, but hoping to have another by the end of this year.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Farmville, VA · Member since 2018 · 280 posts · 171 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd firefighter/paramedic for Henrico County Virginia here. Been a contractor for almost ten years but seriously got into real estate over the last seven or so.

  • Realtor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd

    Hey man! Career FF for a city in NC and also a volunteer. I’m looking to do my first deal still! I am itching but gotta get over some fear to pull the trigger on the first one and trying to convince the wife to get on board! Thanks for the inspiration

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hi Kevin D.  Sounds like you just about covered all areas of first responding! Great to hear from you.

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hey Josh K.  Great to hear from you.  Sounds like you're considering multifamily.  You're in one of the best states for it.

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hey Douglas.  Thanks for your service and thank your partner.  Working both fire and law!  How's the Virginia market treating you?  Not too familiar with it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.