Choosing The Right Market For Me

Choosing The Right Market For Me

Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 8 votes

Hi All,

I'm new to BiggerPockets. I live in the Sonoma county North of San Francisco, have lived here my whole life. I've been investing since 2013 when I bought my first single family which I then turned into a 2 unit home. I have since bought two more investment properties, one of which I just sold for a great profit. I'm looking to reinvest into multi family either a nice quadplex or two duplexes. I really want to stay local within Sonoma county as my wife and I have a lot to contribute to the properties, renovation skills, a network of subs for when we don't want to do certain jobs, and management skills. as well as knowing the area incredibly well. We are torn though as properties and real estate in general is so expensive here in Sonoma county. Every purchase when financed traditionally is very cash intensive. We have quite a bit to invest from the recent sale of our property but it would go so much father in other markets. That said we would not have access to all the tools and resources that we currently have locally. I would love to hear the communities opinion on how to priorities where to invest and what you all think would be the smartest move.

- Galen

4Reply
163 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael SmytheBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8mo
Quote from @Jade Miali Everett:

As a property manager that performs a lot of her own maintenance let me just say that it can get overwhelming at times. It depends on the condition of the property, but with California becoming a state that I personally feel is reaching too far into the business affairs of property owners, I would say investing out of state is a much better idea if you have a pair of reliable boots on the ground. 

You will almost certainly get tired of managing yourself. Given that this post was so long ago, I am curious to hear what you and your wife decided to do. 


Why are you responding to a thread that's 3+ years old?

Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · CO CA TX WA ID OR · Member since 2020 · 419 posts · 542 votes
    4y

    Hi @Galen Heckathorn I'm also in Sonoma County, I work as a lender but I have investment properties out of state. You should come to our local meetup each month and meet other investors in the area, there may be a connection you can make at the meetup that can help you with an off market property.

    Feel free to send me a message when you click on my name and I'll send you the details.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    I sent you a connection request, I’m also in Sonoma county and would love to talk. I also invest locally 

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    @Galen Heckathorn you have to ask yourself what values all those local tools and resources available to you add to your bottom line. It's nice to have them but are they really contributing to your bottom line enough to offest the much stronger returns you can get somewhere else? I suspect it's a comfort issue more than it is a financial issue.

  • Member since 2021 · 46 posts · 29 votes
    4y

    @Galen Heckathorn welcome to BiggerPockets!  I sold in Sonoma county last year and purchased in Nashville, TN. Due to the lower costs in TN I was able to purchase a newer house, so less maintenance to worry about. The numbers are looking good as a Short-Term Rental and passive as I have a great property Manager. The distance is not as much of an issue nowadays with home automation and ease of travel. Lastly, are you Robin's brother???

  • Specialist · Member since 2021 · 322 posts · 273 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Galen Heckathorn:

    Hi All,

    I'm new to BiggerPockets. I live in the Sonoma county North of San Francisco, have lived here my whole life. I've been investing since 2013 when I bought my first single family which I then turned into a 2 unit home. I have since bought two more investment properties, one of which I just sold for a great profit. I'm looking to reinvest into multi family either a nice quadplex or two duplexes. I really want to stay local within Sonoma county as my wife and I have a lot to contribute to the properties, renovation skills, a network of subs for when we don't want to do certain jobs, and management skills. as well as knowing the area incredibly well. We are torn though as properties and real estate in general is so expensive here in Sonoma county. Every purchase when financed traditionally is very cash intensive. We have quite a bit to invest from the recent sale of our property but it would go so much father in other markets. That said we would not have access to all the tools and resources that we currently have locally. I would love to hear the communities opinion on how to priorities where to invest and what you all think would be the smartest move.

    - Galen


     Can't pick a market for you but we target areas in the midwest with particular markers for future success. Areas like Ft Wayne or Des Moines are areas that we really believe in. Great for cash flow and high confidence for appreciation as well :)

  • Jade Miali EverettBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Sebastopol, CA · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 17 votes
    8mo

    As a property manager that performs a lot of her own maintenance let me just say that it can get overwhelming at times. It depends on the condition of the property, but with California becoming a state that I personally feel is reaching too far into the business affairs of property owners, I would say investing out of state is a much better idea if you have a pair of reliable boots on the ground. 

    You will almost certainly get tired of managing yourself. Given that this post was so long ago, I am curious to hear what you and your wife decided to do. 

    Intuitive Property Consulting.
    • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Jade Miali Everett:

      As a property manager that performs a lot of her own maintenance let me just say that it can get overwhelming at times. It depends on the condition of the property, but with California becoming a state that I personally feel is reaching too far into the business affairs of property owners, I would say investing out of state is a much better idea if you have a pair of reliable boots on the ground. 

      You will almost certainly get tired of managing yourself. Given that this post was so long ago, I am curious to hear what you and your wife decided to do. 


      Why are you responding to a thread that's 3+ years old?

      Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Galen Heckathorn:

    Hi All,

    I'm new to BiggerPockets. I live in the Sonoma county North of San Francisco, have lived here my whole life. I've been investing since 2013 when I bought my first single family which I then turned into a 2 unit home. I have since bought two more investment properties, one of which I just sold for a great profit. I'm looking to reinvest into multi family either a nice quadplex or two duplexes. I really want to stay local within Sonoma county as my wife and I have a lot to contribute to the properties, renovation skills, a network of subs for when we don't want to do certain jobs, and management skills. as well as knowing the area incredibly well. We are torn though as properties and real estate in general is so expensive here in Sonoma county. Every purchase when financed traditionally is very cash intensive. We have quite a bit to invest from the recent sale of our property but it would go so much father in other markets. That said we would not have access to all the tools and resources that we currently have locally. I would love to hear the communities opinion on how to priorities where to invest and what you all think would be the smartest move.

    - Galen


     A lot of people from CA are investing in the midwest

  • Inland Empire, CA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 79 votes
    8mo

    Yeah, while I enjoy living here on SoCal, investing here is a different story. One of my partners owns apartments here, but he's often shared with me how the red tape makes things much more challenging. So we invest and actively looking for large multifamily out of state. On the flip side, I know a handful of other operators who like investing here and have said that due to many investors looking out of state, there's less competition for them. To each their own. 

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 917 votes
    8mo

    @Galen Heckathorn

    Hi Galen, even though this post is a few years old, your situation is still very familiar to many investors weighing high-cost local markets vs. more affordable areas. Staying local has huge advantages — you know the neighborhoods, have trusted subs, and can manage hands-on, which often reduces risk and surprises. On the other hand, moving to the Midwest lets your capital stretch further, potentially allowing you to acquire multiple properties, scale faster, and see stronger cash flow, though you’ll need to rely more on remote management or local partners. Many investors in your position choose a hybrid approach: keep one property local to maintain hands-on control and familiarity, while adding one or two Midwest deals to diversify, increase cash flow, and test new markets. It really comes down to your risk tolerance, goals, and willingness to manage remotely.

  • Memphis, TN · Member since 2024 · 234 posts · 100 votes
    8mo

    Hey @Galen Heckathorn! Welcome to BP, and congrats on the progress you've already made. Turning an SFR into a 2-unit and cycling capital from a profitable sale is exactly how a lot of strong portfolios get built.

    You’re wrestling with a very real (and common) fork in the road:

    Leverage local advantages vs. deploy capital more efficiently elsewhere.

    A few thoughts to consider:

    1. Your local advantage is real, and valuable

    Having renovation skills, trusted subs, and management experience in-market is a huge edge. That often offsets thinner margins because:

    You control rehab costs better

    You move faster than most buyers

    You reduce management friction

    Many investors pay for what you already have baked in.

    2. But opportunity cost matters

    High-cost markets like Sonoma tend to be:

    Equity + appreciation plays

    Capital intensive

    Slower to scale unless you’re recycling equity aggressively

    If your goal is unit count and cash flow growth, your capital will go much further in other markets. Even if you outsource management.

    3. This doesn’t have to be an “either/or” decision

    A lot of investors in your position do well with a hybrid approach:

    Keep 1–2 strong local properties where your hands-on value adds the most

    Deploy new capital or sale proceeds into out-of-state markets for cash flow and scale

    Let appreciation + refis locally fuel growth elsewhere

    4. Ask yourself what this next phase is optimizing for

    If it’s:

    Lifestyle + control → local makes sense

    Scale + income replacement → secondary markets often win

    Long-term wealth → a mix of both tends to perform best

    I work as a real estate agent in Memphis, TN, and help a lot of California investors make this exact transition. Using markets like Memphis for cash flow while keeping higher-end assets at home. If you ever want to sanity-check numbers or talk through how others structure that balance, happy to help.

    Either way, you’re asking the right questions! That’s usually the sign someone is about to level up.

  • James WachobBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 887 votes
    8mo

    Welcome to BiggerPockets! Sounds like you and your wife know your stuff. I get the Sonoma struggle though, prices are nuts and buying with traditional financing can take a ton of cash.

    Honestly it comes down to what matters most to you. If you want to be hands on and use your local knowledge and network, staying local makes sense even if growth is slower. A duplex or quad in a spot you know well could be solid. If you want to grow fast, other markets will stretch your money more but then you lose that hands on control and local connections.

    Some people do a mix, keep one property local where they can add real value and maybe try another market for bigger returns.

    I also work with investors looking for hands off cash flowing stuff in Memphis, so if you’re curious about that market feel free to reach out.

    At the end of the day it’s just about what you want, hands on and local or bigger growth and more hands off. Both can work.

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 917 votes
    8mo

    @Galen Heckathorn

    Hey Galen, even though your post is a few years old, your situation is familiar to many—strong local knowledge and hands-on skills are huge advantages, but high prices can limit growth. For multi-family investing, sometimes the smartest move is looking at Midwest markets where entry costs are lower, cash flow is stronger, and appreciation is steady. You can still leverage your renovation and management skills with local support—property managers, contractors, and lenders—so your investment runs smoothly without being on-site full time.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.