Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
I find myself browsing these forums less and less as times passes. Biggerpockets is such a machine now and while there is lots of useful advice, it's primarily aimed at newbies (who can't use the search function mind you). It's difficult to find worthwhile discussions or more advanced discussions and it wasn't that way a few years ago. The podcasts feel mostly the same (hey, I pyramided my way to 50 doors!). Anyone else feel this way? I've considered upgrading just so I can post in the forums with more serious folks but it's getting tougher to come on here and have discussions IMO. So many tire kickers or people asking ridiculous questions.
Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 202 votes
6y
So this is going to sound odd. You've become one of the 'village elders' here on BP based on the fact that you've seen and heard most of what's been posted; and you've posted over 1200 times yourself, so you've obviously been party to some great conversations.
Based on my experience on other forums (for wildly differing subjects than this) my transition into the known voice position put me in the same situation, I felt like I wasn't getting anything out of the forum anymore... but the reality was that I was the one now putting back into the forum what I had taken out earlier. It was my obligation to go back through and help all the people who were 'new' figure it all out; and faster than I did because now I had the forum information and ability to easily pinpoint valuable discussions for others.
You may not be getting much out of BP, but I can assure you that others are probably getting much out of you. So please don't leave or get discouraged... it's all part of the cycle!
Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
When I first found BP about a year and half ago, I was in heaven. My wife called it my “girlfriend”
I have gained a wealth of knowledge on here, and gotten a chance to chat with some great people. I don’t look on here nearly as much as I used to, but definitely make a point to at least once or twice a day (or 20). I do thoroughly enjoy the “I have $100 and a 500 credit score” posts.
Thanks for all the help and insight @Jim K. @Jay Hinrichs @JD Martin @Jonathan Greene @Syed H. @Chad Jarrah and everyone else that has provided me with their knowledge and advice. Can’t forget good ol Dennis M!
Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2019 · 471 posts · 342 votes
6y
@Peter T.
The value of the forums holds firm and is strong!
Your lack of appreciation for the forums does tell me something. It tells me that you are stuck, and don't seem to see a way out.
This is not a slam on you, but an observation of sorts.
You are bored. Understandable as this is,
you also could be much better prepared as those peopke the forums seem firected to.
I just attended another lengthy meeting with a well known RE education group that sells very expensive coaching and availability of systems.
I enjoy these meetings because I refresh my motivation this way. I love to hear about success!
The BP forums are there for you to add to as well as gkeen information from. I add to the discussions once in a while. But really enjoy the insights of others that have different opinions.
The value to me is good.
I can read the forums free too, which is a greT value!
If the forums bore you, I would read and contemplate your experience as I do the others.
I suppose, when I end up on Maui, I will probably buy the house Brandon lives in. Its because I move so slow that he will be a very old man before I get that good!
But, as I learn, I will post. I love the reading of other ideas too!
Rental Property Investor · Bay Area CA | Maui HI · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 47 votes
6y
I'm still surprised how often a BP forum thread comes up first when I do Google searches for niche real estate queries. If you're not sure why you'd use a warranty deed instead of a quitclaim, wondering how best to compare 1031 exchange providers, or have any one of 1,000 other obscure questions, the BP forums still seem to be the most reliable (free) source for answers.
I find that my annual "Pro" subscription fee is more than covered by the amount of free legal and accounting advice I pick up across the forums in any given year. As time goes by, it's true that I have fewer and fewer open questions, but markets and regulations are always changing. The BP forums are still a great place to cross-check what you think you know against the wisdom of the herd.
I contemplated shutting this down - this is the generic version of "I've had it here, I'm leaving" post which isn't allowed per the rules, but it might be useful to head this off once.
I'm sorry you don't find value here. If not, why does it matter if anyone else feels that way? Why do you need confirmation that BP isn't what it used to be? And if you find the forums droll, there are other outlets on the internet. You should take advantage of them. You don't have to pay to be here.
The bottom line is that the population has voted, with their fingers, and BP far and away is the best and most populated real estate forums on the internet. Yes, sometimes that means "old-timers" have to wade through a lot of new questions. I still find plenty of value here, from newbies and old-timers, but maybe I'm not a glass half-empty guy. I see no point in ruminating on the changing composition of forum members, and especially no point looking for public confirmation of my position.
In my own life, I have found that when things seems unsatisfactory to me, the problem is usually me rather than some external force.
See, this is the problem. You should be thrilled with my post. It's contrarian and gives you guys real feedback and apparently plenty of people agree with me. I call balls and strikes. I still enjoy this forum but let's not pretend it hasn't morphed into a totally different animal the last few years.
At the end of the day BP is a business. Like most platform or social media companies the users are the product, not the customer. The average paying member is working some sort of networking or marketing angle to get more clients, sales, deals etc. Look at all of the premium member realtors that pop up when you ask about your nearest big city. I'm sure that the gals and guys at BP are nice people, but they're not running a charity. They're here to make money. That means selling more product, which means new users without experience. It is what it is.......
Where your right, yes, their is people who come on here just for the "pump" of trying to get some kind of "sale" of some kind BUT the point is they are obvious 98% of the time, and it is the very design of Bigger Pockets that allows for quickly identifying them.
The make a post or hop on a post almost answering something but it's all about the redirect to some contact. AND then you see their contribution count, their votes right next to their post. You can click on them and go read their bio (for those not in the know, empty bio = empty authority). Their is their professional affiliations, licenses and so on. You can see posts they have made, easily click to read them. Is it a big giant 1-10 scale of quality, of course not but with some very simple quick effort a person can be vet'd on here and that is darn unique and worth it's weight in gold.
Myself personally, yup your darn right I do real estate investing for a living, it is my career and passion. I have my fingers in PM, consulting, agency, wholesaling, rehabs, sfh, mfh, and soon coming turn-key and syndication and guess what, I don't need to schlep for business, I am a rain maker just by fact of being so damn good at it for so darn long and I actually legitimate do strive to help people on here, I do believe in everything I post and reply. I give, freely, and if someone see's that and goes "hey, I'd like to work with that guy, he could really help me", well isn't help itself as well?
So the whole thing that it's just all about the $ i call BS because if it was just about maximizing revenues BP could definitely "squeeze" a whole lot more, and get it. Do they need $ to keep the lights on and deserve to make something for it, your darn right but give credit where credit is due that this thing is beyond any other REI site, meetup or group of any kind, and there is a massive mountain of value for all involved.
Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
6y
Love it or hate it, fact and truth is Bigger Pockets has had a positive impact on a lot of lives.
How many have been helped from what they found here? How many were stuck, at a dead end and just couldn't find that way forward and found the answer, a tip, trick or just inspiration to keep going and push on from others who had the same happen.....
Rental Property Investor · Escondido, CA · Member since 2018 · 268 posts · 137 votes
6y
I planned on starting homework for my Master's program, and here I am, 45 minutes later having rabbit-trailed to the end of this thread. See @Peter Tverdov, you're creating value right there. In all seriousness, I am very grateful for members like @Russell Brazil, @Joe Villeneuve and @Joe Scaparra (both of whom was nice enough to talk to me at different points), @Jay Hinrichs, and many others who continue to post and chime in on posts here. So far, I only own one property, but I owe that to BP and have begun making Phase 2 connections that I am hopeful will connect and motivate me on to further REI adventures. I look forward to the day, I feel the tipping point towards knowing more than I can glean and then being able to give back.
That's part of it but I've been on other forums nearly 20 years and still get lots of value. This place is becoming more watered down and to get a better discussion I basically have to pay $500 a year lol cmon.
Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 48 posts · 23 votes
6y
@Ian Jaeger very true! As a newbie investor, I can’t agree more with Ian on this.
My daily routine as part of learning/education is going through the forums and my keyword alerts and it’s been super valuable so far to learn more and also to network and make connections with other investors/agents/PMs in the local market.
Rental Property Investor · Dover, DE · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 14 votes
6y
@Peter T. I’m pretty new when it comes to investing, so I get tons of value from you guys . I can understand from your point of view being an experienced investor knowing majority of the stuff on here. But I’d like to say even though you know majority of the stuff thank you guys for taking the time to add value to newbies like me!
Investor · Verona, NJ · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 832 votes
6y
It all depends on what you are looking for.... there are times where questions get redundant, but there is still information and connections out there to help you. I posted about a year ago on a topic, one month ago I found myself in a similar situation as the post, I re-posted to that and referenced a couple of the Members that had posted on that for their opinions:
, and they helped me based on their experience, along with other members.
You get out of the forums what you put into them, if you need answers, post your question.the "Lack" of material will stay that way if one is not active and does not post what they would like to find out about. I have had questions I posted that did not get answered, has not changed my mind about the site, feel there is still ways and enough content to learn here.
When I first found BP about a year and half ago, I was in heaven. My wife called it my “girlfriend”
I have gained a wealth of knowledge on here, and gotten a chance to chat with some great people. I don’t look on here nearly as much as I used to, but definitely make a point to at least once or twice a day (or 20). I do thoroughly enjoy the “I have $100 and a 500 credit score” posts.
Thanks for all the help and insight @Jim K. @Jay Hinrichs @JD Martin @Jonathan Greene @Syed H. @Chad Jarrah and everyone else that has provided me with their knowledge and advice. Can’t forget good ol Dennis M!
ya what ever happened to Dennis M he was one of my favorites as well neck and neck with Jim K. they post in the no spin zone.
Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 807 posts · 475 votes
6y
@Peter T.
I’ve been on BiggerPockets since 2013 and at that time it was a much smaller community and I feel it was much better back then. With the higher quantity of people, there’s come a lower quality.
There were some highly experienced and qualified professionals who used to be active almost daily, who are now inactive. I’ve spoken to some of those members and they basically said the high standard of the forums is no longer there.
There is still some exceptional talent and expertise on here and there’s been many new additions which we are lucky to have. But at the same time, I feel the rookies and wannabes are far outnumbering the experienced professionals.
Rental Property Investor · Boise/Portland · Member since 2017 · 709 posts · 742 votes
6y
Sometimes I find posts regarding LLC questions, for example, have been asked and answered ad nauseum. I wonder if people know there's a search button. HOWEVER, many of the newbies asking those types of questions are looking for CONNECTION and they value the personal attention they're receiving and deserve as fellow members of this BP family. I'm counted among those who really needed what the seasoned experts were patiently offering when I walked in the shoes of someone who valued any input or advice I could get; even if I didn't realize there was a search option. Thanks BP!
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
6y
Oh boy I feel old on the site...lol
If you want to go way, way back I first found Bigger Pockets when it was one website page with a few bank foreclosure links in the middle. I can't remember but might have been 13 years ago? I know I am off it's been so long. I joined and then didn't look at the site much. Fast forward a few years and then I heard they had a forum so went back. Old people that signed up many were purged when the forum was created so I signed up again.
It was just Josh back then there were no other employees with BP. He was a one man show. There were some really old timers on there people who had been investing 30 to 40 years or more. There were a couple moderators and I was asked to come on as one.
There weren't many members on there back then I think sub 50k or maybe even less. I have lost count but think maybe 1.5 million members on the site now worldwide or something like that.
As a business reaches scale it can change with systems and practices. The site is heavily toward being monetized now. It can be a fine line between growing revenue for any business and being over the top selling versus providing valuable content. YouTube for instance keeps pushing more and more ads and I can't stand it. I am fixing to switch to their no ad option.
BP has so many employees now many do not even know who has been on here for awhile. BP still to me provides tons of value. These days there is just not much for me to comment on anymore. I have a specialty and not many people ask questions about that because you have to have a lot of money to buy in that space.
It's just a reality that a big majority on the site will be the newer investor who has maybe 20,000 grand in their pocket to buy their first rental etc. versus the person sitting on tens of millions already looking at bigger stuff. They are on here but tend to lurk in the background and contact privately.
Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
Interesting thread.
I really ratcheted back my posting several years ago. Some of the more ridiculous posters I think stopped posting at some point in the last 3 years. That's quite refreshing and a plus.
Now I have a decent set of alerts set up so I mostly invest time there. The new functionality that allows you to follow select forums is helpful too so I invest any additional time there. This allows me to filter the content for what I really care the most about. You can only answer the same post so many times before the debates get old and you realize that people are defending their biases or ego more than trying to offer helpful information.
Overall the site has attracted a higher caliber ilk in the last several years. I've been posting for over 10 years now and it is noticeably different here than it was in the early days. You'll mature as an investor over time so if you're not getting the right value out of the site it probably means you're not rationing your time properly, setting the alerts up well, or filtering on content that fits with your overall needs from the site. The content on the site has always been really good, but I'd argue it is much better now than it used to be.
Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 71 votes
6y
I think Bigger Pockets can do free viewing but $5 annually for posting- this will ensure that people read the posts first before asking the same questions! Even a small annual monetary fee would ensure that only serious people are posting relevant questions
Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
BP is more than just forums. This is a community and like any community, you need to find out where you belong. For me, BP has allowed me to expand my knowledge, but more importantly, expand my networks. I have been able to create valuable relationships, which has created business opportunity for me.
As for the forums themselves, there are a lot of basic, elementary questions, but the beauty is that you don't need to answer them. Move on to the more sophisticated questions and provide insight or value to those. Interact on the blogs or post blogs, use the networking tools, etc. You don't need to pay money to get value, you just need to put some effort into it.