The Dark Side Of The Eviction Moratorium

6 Replies

Even if you agree with an eviction moratorium for rent, the courts should have stayed open for eviction of other lease violations. Instead, courts across the country have refused to protect owners from these criminals. Just one example:

https://wjla.com/news/local/he...

I guess because i read them, google news sends me a handful of awful stories like this almost every day.  There's so many awful stories of the abuse that's happening.  Sadly no one cares, and none of the court cases seem to be going anywhere.  Landlords have lost this round badly it seems.  

I just wish the tables could be turned and these tenants that are commiting all kinds of crimes beyond just overstaying would finally be facing charges like fraud, extortion, terroristic threats, assault, etc...you know, the kinds of things that landlords get threatened with when they want to throw the book at one, but somehow tenants seem to be immune from.

Here's another interesting one.

Someone sold a house in California for $560,000 but then refused to move out after the sale. They claim they are unable to move due to COVID, even though they sold the house for a profit! The new owners haven't been able to move into the home for almost a year and the courts won't do anything about it.

Our judicial system is a farce, focused more on politics than justice.

A broken window during the cold season.

A washer made unusable by the "poor" residents by one of their own "Guests".

A physical attack by a residents "Guest" (neighborhood youth) upon the owner....

Police involved in the indecent.

Class "D" area (some might call it Class F)...

Seems about Par for the Course in a Class "D" area.

At least they didn't steal his furnaces and copper pipes.

This guy seems surprised by this--

Know your tenant base.....

Originally posted by @Scott Mac :

A broken window during the cold season.

A washer made unusable by the "poor" residents by one of their own "Guests".

A physical attack by a residents "Guest" (neighborhood youth) upon the owner....

Police involved in the indecent.

Class "D" area (some might call it Class F)...

Seems about Par for the Course in a Class "D" area.

At least they didn't steal his furnaces and copper pipes.

This guy seems surprised by this--

Know your tenant base.....

I had the same thought but there's a very good chance the Landlord grew up in an area like this and it's what he knows and understands. I would never invest in an area like that because I'm a total outsider that doesn't know the market or the people. 

I agree that courts have been lenient on the tenants who are just using COVID as an excuse and providing any explanation on why they are not paying rent. Also, there isn't much clarity for landlords to use the rental assistance programs that the govt launched.