Complete noob from Milwaukee, WI.

Complete noob from Milwaukee, WI.

Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 5 votes
Hi, 
completely new here. Born and raised in the Milwaukee, Waukesha, etc... area. Interested in learning as much as I can. 
I currently work as a maintenance technician and have held various jobs in the building trades, I'm married to a wonderful women with almost 20 years experience in the mortgage/real estate industry. She has worked for banks, insurance companies, as a realtor doing corporate relocations, etc... Between the two of us I feel we may stand a chance out there. 
Thanks for having me!
1Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Appleton, WI · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 4 votes
9y

Welcome aboard,

I'm from the Appleton area, nice to see some Wisconsin action. 

Getting the first property started is the hardest part of the journey. But if I can do it you can too. 

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Appleton, WI · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Welcome aboard,

    I'm from the Appleton area, nice to see some Wisconsin action. 

    Getting the first property started is the hardest part of the journey. But if I can do it you can too. 

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    Hey, @norm! I appreciate the encouragement. Appleton? I've spent a few days as a youth skateboarding in appleton all those years ago. I'd love to hear your experience getting your first property and or any tips you may have.
  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Darren Liedtke welcome to BP!!  There is a ton of opportunity in the Milwaukee market.   Be sure to listen to the podcasts as thare are at least 3 that discuss the Milwaukke market directly. All the best to you. Always remember to persist and you will WIN!!!

  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Darren Liedtke Welcome to BP! I highly recommend the biweekly BP meetup in Tosa. There is one tomorrow night. Sam Erickson is spearheading it. Shawn Ackerman Do you happen to know which podcasts discuss MKE?
    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 338 posts · 129 votes
    9y

    @Daniel Hyman thanks for the mention.  @Darren Liedtke we do have a meet up tomorrow night at Hoyt Park in Tosa.  It starts at 6pm and just goes till whenever really, so feel free to come and leave when ever you'd like.  Hope to see you there.

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Daniel Hyman search @Brie Schmidt annd @Dawn Anastasi there podcast numbers should come up.  There's actually a 4th but ai can't remember the interviewees name. 

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Sam Erickson let me know when you start doing a FB or IG live at the events. There are alot of oos investors that I work with who invest in the MKE market

  • Real Estate Broker · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 338 posts · 129 votes
    9y

    @Shawn Ackerman Definitely on our list to get set up.  I would say half of my client base is also out of state and have expressed interest.  As soon as we stream them I'll let you know.  In all honesty at this point there isn't much to stream as most of the meeting is just investors talking with one another and you would just be seeing a group of people having a dozen different conversations.  We are working towards it though.

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Yes. I was pleased to hear Milwaukee mentioned on the very first podcast. I'd love to come out and meet everyone. Unfortunately  I currently work 2nd shift. Yet another reason real estate sounds like the right move. I'd love to set my own hours. Also I'm on the east side, when's the weekend meet up at the estabrook or Hubbard lodge beer garden meet up? Just kidding. I'm sure if I stay as interested as I am now I'll make my way out that far west.  Again, thanks for the warm welcome.

    @Sam Erickson

    @Shawn Ackerman

    @Daniel Hyman

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Sam Erickson rome was not built in a day my friend.  Just a suggestion.  I think I'll find a way to incorporate it into my upcoming meet up here in NY. 

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 887 posts · 323 votes
    9y

    @Darren Liedtke welcome to BP! Great people here that invest in Milwaukee as I too am pursuing my first deal with a potential partner who is in the Milwaukee area (I'm in Los Angeles). All the best to you!

    Jorge 

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    Thanks Jorge Ruiz ! I'm really glad I found big pockets. The amount of information without the sham wow presentation is really refreshing. Good to meet you and best of luck. See you around.
  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    Jorge Ruiz for some reason it doesn't seem like my tag worked in the comment above. Well, anyway, the sentiment still stands. Cheers.
  • Real Estate Consultant · Brookfield, WI · Member since 2014 · 873 posts · 350 votes
    9y

    @Darren Liedtke welcome to BP and don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions.  

  • Rebecca KnoxBusiness Member
    Specialist · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Hi Darren, 

    Welcome to BP. It sounds like you and your wife have the skills to be an REI power couple.

    Along with the other meetup mentioned, there is also Brew City REI and has meetups the last Saturday of each month as well as Milwaukee REIA which has weekly events. If you are interested in rentals, than Apartment Association of SE WI is another good one. Networking is a great way to fast forward your journey and learn a wealth of information from people actively in the Wisconsin market.

    I hope to see you around one of the meetups. Good luck on your REI adventure.

    ~Rebecca

    Captain Save-A-Home LLC
  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    @rebecca @rebeccaholmes @rebecca... doesn't seem to want to auto populate a tag? I am on the mobile app...? Sorry. If anyone sees this could they tag Rebecca and tell her I say thanks for the welcome. I'm slowly convincing my wife this should be a priority in our life. We definitely dream about it often enough but her nose is to the grind stone with work and raising our child making it difficult for her to raise her eyes up and look down the road a bit. Heck, some of the people on here may have spoke to her if they ever bought REO from MGIC. Regardless, I mentioned the meet up today out in tosa and how much support there seems to be here on BP for the Milwaukee area and she may even log in and make her own account soon! It seemed to peak her interest the warm welcome I'm receiving. She's really an amazing woman and I'd love to have her meet everyone here. We are busy parents definitely in the build knowledge and possibly investment funds part of our process, but perhaps we can get out and say hello face to face one of these times. Again, thanks for the welcome everyone!
  • Rebecca KnoxBusiness Member
    Specialist · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    You're welcome Darren. 

    In your BP account, you can set up alerts whenever Milwaukee or Wisconsin come up in a discussion:)

    Captain Save-A-Home LLC
  • Rebecca KnoxBusiness Member
    Specialist · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Also, if your wife should check out the WINGS group--it's a women's REI group.

    Captain Save-A-Home LLC
  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    Michael Henry , I've been able to get most of the questions I have answered through old posts, YouTube, and the podcasts at this point. But I'm sure I don't even know what the right questions to ask are at this point. That being said, I guess I'll pose my first question directly to you and ask, what questions are the right questions to be asked as someone with little to no experience investing in real estate?
  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    @Rebecca... still no tag? I'm guessing I'm going to have to log on to PC to get more in depth here on BP. Upload a photo, set some alerts, write up the bio, all that good stuff. Speaking of... being that it won't tag you for some reason I'm guessing you only received an alert through my mentions of Milwaukee, so... Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Milwaukee. Cheers! And thanks again Rebecca.
  • Real Estate Consultant · Brookfield, WI · Member since 2014 · 873 posts · 350 votes
    9y

    @Darren Liedtke good one. Q: What activities should I be doing every day to become successful in real estate (investor, wholesaler, or rehabber,etc.)?  

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    Michael Henry and now for my second every question, what's the A: to your Q:?
  • Rebecca KnoxBusiness Member
    Specialist · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Hey Darren, have you and your wife discussed or laid out your real estate investing plan or what are the goals you are trying to accomplish through Real Estate Investing? Are you going to be rehabbing or focusing on buy & hold or both? Once you identify your end game, then you can make short term and long term goals to achieve it, re-evaluating and tweaking along the way. I think the greatest thing about working with your significant other is that you have an instant accountability partner.  The daily activities of an investor vary dependent on their investment goals but once the goals, are identified, then you can make a daily schedule to achieve them. 

    I know we mentioned REI groups, but I find it helpful to go to the actual neighborhood city meetings. You find out a lot of information about their plans for the neighborhood. For instance, I've gone to the Clarke Square Landlord Meetup run by a non-profit and learned a lot about the demographics of that neighborhood that I didn't know. I've also gone to several Bronzeville meetings (over by Riverwest and Ald Milele Coggs usually heads them). I saw your other post about selecting the 'right' neighborhoods to invest in and thought that might be helpful. You can go on Milwaukee.gov and also set up alerts so you will be notified of these meetings.

    Captain Save-A-Home LLC
  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Shawn Ackerman:

    @Daniel Hyman search @Brie Schmidt annd @Dawn Anastasi there podcast numbers should come up.  There's actually a 4th but ai can't remember the interviewees name. 

    My podcast reference is in my signature.  J Scott also worked in Milwaukee for a while doing flips. Mehran's podcast was #73 and he invests in Milwaukee too. Those are probably the others you are thinking of.

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @Rebecca Knox No business plan as of yet. Very much just building my knowledge base and capital at this point. Paper trading as it were.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.