Buffalo, NY · Member since 2014 · 82 posts · 75 votes
I'm looking to form a networking group of people who specialize in under 30k properties for cash flow. I propose we share ideas to help each other maximize our success!
Real Estate Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2013 · 168 posts · 78 votes
12y
I buy houses in the $18,000-$23,000 range, typically put $3,000-$5,000 in them and then rent them for $650 a month. @Matt R. is right about the roof and furnace, they are profit delayers.
The key is to know the area or work with someone who does.
There is more to investing in any house than just working the numbers ahead of time to see if it will have positive cash flow and those are the factors that will kill you.
1. Contractors that you can trust, that do the job correctly and go above and beyond for you since you're not around.
2. A property manager who can rent the house to good people and make sure they are holding up their end of the contract.
People who buy expensive houses have the same issues, their tenants just drive nicer cars. It's all a process, just jump in and learn the lessons good and bad.
Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 1 vote
8y
Capital One finances these properties. It didn't really want to offer me 30k, but was ok with 40k. I purchased the property for 17k, it values now about 60-70k.
Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 1 vote
8y
well, apparently I cannot post a phone number or an email, so email me, or connect with me ( not sure how it's done here) and I will give you the phone and the email of my contact in capital one.
well, apparently I cannot post a phone number or an email, so email me, or connect with me ( not sure how it's done here) and I will give you the phone and the email of my contact in capital one.
You can show your (only-used-here?) email address in your profile. But, whoops, you deliberately hid yours...
Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 130 votes
8y
I've had success wholesaling in 13K-25K range. Some of those properties were also good rentals if you don't have big ticket repairs and can find someone decent to do the work.
I've had success wholesaling in 13K-25K range. Some of those properties were also good rentals if you don't have big ticket repairs and can find someone decent to do the work.
Aah, but, have you had success HOLDING and renting those same type of properties for lots of years? [If not, why not?]
(Or, wouldn't you be seen holding onto those properties - with a barge pole?) Welcome to BP...
Anybody know a realtor in Peoria, IL to recommend. My house is a 3 bed and would be in the 30k range. Every realtor seems to want to do only deals over 50k...
I've had success wholesaling in 13K-25K range. Some of those properties were also good rentals if you don't have big ticket repairs and can find someone decent to do the work.
Aah, but, have you had success HOLDING and renting those same type of properties for lots of years? [If not, why not?]
(Or, wouldn't you be seen holding onto those properties - with a barge pole?) Welcome to BP...
I'm more of a fan of wholesaling these than I am holding on to them, even though they can cash flow nicely. Just my preference. I had the perfect scenario for these type of properties; bought a double for $12.5K with each side rented by two long term tenants that wanted to live the rest of their lives there, pay on time and were very low maintenance. I got the the rent up to $610 a month. After several months I realized it wasn't it wasn't really for me and I would rather have a nicer property nearby than one that cashflows more far away in a run down part of the city. So I sold it for 19.5k and the buyer didn't even bother to look inside, lol.
Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 16 votes
8y
Are these 30k and under properties actual homes or apartment units? I can't find any single family homes in my area under 30k. I'm in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Are these 30k and under properties actual homes or apartment units? I can't find any single family homes in my area under 30k. I'm in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Homes. You need to get out more. Explore the 'hoods, all over the country. (If scared, just look online). Welcome to BP!
Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 893 votes
8y
I mean if the problem with sub 30k properties are taxes and capex being disproportionately high... I would say the way to get around that is to be multi-family at around the 20k/unit price point. Economies of scale will counterbalance the risks of high capex (for a 4plex, 1 roof at 8k vs 4 roofs at 5k).
If you go 5+ units and find a local bank they can give you a commercial loan! If you're not in a TERRIBLE D class neighborhood and go 5+ units you can go to a conventional lender and get an FHA low-balance multifamily loan and only put 25% down. 40k down + closing costs will get you 10 units at 20k/unit... 30 year amortization, 7 year balloon, 4.75% interest, NON RECOURSE.
I know this is an old post, but this is something that I have also been thinking about lately. If anyone has any good ideas to share, please let me know.
Conyers, GA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
8y
I'm in Georgia and 30k or less properties is what I'm learning to work with and wholesale. I'm about 30 mins away from Atlanta. The properties are out here and some have a good amount of land.
Rental Property Investor · Metro Atlanta Area · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
7y
@Douglas B. Can you add me as well? I'm new to the real estate investment world and I think this would be a great place to start. Metro Atlanta Area Thanks!