No matter how you’re selling a home–whether it’s through the cost of a realtor, by auction or using my preferred method of selling “for sale by owner”–your #1 goal is getting the property seen. If no one sees a home, no one will make an offer on a home.
So how can you get your property publicized?
- Word of mouth: Tell everyone you know that you’re selling. Encourage them to pass on the info—if you have homemade marketing materials, use them.
- Post everywhere: Leave information about your home on grocery store bulletin boards, at your company postings, at the library, in the school district, you name it!
- Market it well: Be thinking about the absolutely best way to make your property stand out.
In my opinion, your best bet is to combine your efforts with a FSBO Company. There are many established real estate marketing companies out there. I’ve found one to be most helpful, and I found it by trial and error. A good marketing real estate company (i.e., one worth paying money to) should be able to help you with the next steps:
- Create a brochure/flyer: You want something professional-looking, if at all possible. Think good design and highlighted features.
- Use professional photographs: Taken with the best lighting, maximizing the look of space and style, the photos should show your home at its best.
- Virtual tours: These are becoming more and more popular—so much so, in fact, that you really need them. Especially today with so many people relocating and transferring, potential buyers may be out of state or even out of the country. You want them to be able to learn about your home anywhere.
- Focus on features: Your advertising must highlight the positive aspects of your home. You want to make it easy for potential buyers to see why they should be interested.
- Overall service: If you are going to go with a FSBO company, it should provide service to assist you with the overall process.