Mortgages & Creative Financing

Private Money Lenders: Who They Are & 3 Feasible Ways to Find Them

Expertise: Mortgages & Creative Financing, Real Estate News & Commentary, Real Estate Investing Basics
private-money-fund-deals

Real estate investors spend days, hours, weeks and months finding the next deal. Some get lucky and find their deal within the first few prospects but for others it make months viewing prospect after prospect to finally find The Deal. Now comes the second part of the real estate investment equation:

Deal + Money = Investment

Without money the real estate investment equation is incomplete. Real Estate Investors need to actively work on bringing in private money lenders to both tie up their deal and fund their real estate investment opportunities.

Private Money Lenders(Before we get too deep in this post, we want to invite you to download our book “The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Real Estate Investing” which will help you build a solid foundation for your financial future. In other words – you are going to learn exactly how to get started building wealth with real estate! To get the book, just click here and join BiggerPockets, the free real estate investing social network!)

What is a Private Money Lender?

Definition: A private money lender is a non-institutional (non-bank) individual or company that loans money, generally secured by a note and deed of trust, for the purpose of funding a real estate transaction. Private money lenders are generally considered more relationship-based than hard money lenders.

Check out the Web’s Largest Directory of Hard Money Lenders Right Now, For Free! Visit The BiggerPockets Hard Money Lender Directory!

Why Private Money Lenders?

One of the biggest mistakes that  new real estate investors make is that they spend an inordinate amount of time learning about finding and typing up deals but a small amount of time on how to raise equity capital from private money lenders. It’s just as important, if not more important, for real estate investors to understand the ins and outs of raising money as finding the deal. Finding a deal is great but if you do not have earnest money to tie up a deal or funds to purchase it, then all that time and effort is for nothing. (Ankit Investing Life Rules: Work Smarter Not Harder). When you make an offer on a piece of property, it is expected, and usually required, that you place a earnest money deposit down with your offer. If you are currently living paycheck-to-paycheck, coming up with even a few hundred dollars can be a big hurdle in launching your real estate investment business, let alone thousands needed for a purchase. Hence if you work on raising capital from private money lenders while locking up deals then you will have a greater chance for investment success.

The goal of this post to help you learn how to raise capital from private money lenders so that you can successfully tie up and invest into real estate projects. The first question that most investors come up against is who  should I approach to raise the equity capital? Let’s try to answer that question

Private Money Lender Circles

Primary Circle:

Primary 2
The primary investor circle is composed of Friends & Family. Many real estate entrepreneurs/investors (okay lets face it we are all investors whenever we raise capital for a  new investment) turn to friends and family for their first funding needs. Friends and family financing is popular because it is easy to get in front of these people who know you best and they are positively inclined to say yes. But there are negative parts of raising money from friends & family as  they may not be sophisticated enough to know what is a good deal and what is a bad deal and this can lead to problems when a deal goes sour. Hence  when you take funding from friends and family by very clear about the risks and downside.

I would also suggest only taking capital from friends and family members who can afford to lose the investment. That way, if the investment does turn out to be bad, at least you won’t lose valuable relationships. In addition, friends and family often cannot come up with a lot of capital so friends and family can get you into business by providing you initial earnest deposit money so consider this source your angel investment  source of funds. The money from friends and family will  give you time to create value by locating and locking up  deals so that you can either raise additional money from this circle of investors or raise money from secondary and third party circle of investors.

A really good BiggerPockets article that talks about how to raise money from your friends and family is Raising Private Capital: How I Raised $50,000 over Dinner by Arthur Garcia

Secondary Circle:

Secondary 2
The best way to explain this circle of investors is to draw an analogy to LinkedIn Connections. When you login into your LinkedIn account and look up a person that is not your network then on the right hand side of the screen you will see how you are linked to that person from other people within your network. When you are linked to a person directly through one of your current network contacts then that is said to be a second connection.

The secondary circle of investors consists of the Friends and Colleagues of your current primary circle (Hint: the bigger your primary circle then the bigger your secondary circle of investors; get out there and make more friends and contacts through the BiggerPockets Forums and other social networking groups). This is the second best source for raising capital compared to the third party circle as this group will be more receptive to listening to you given that you have been provided a nod of approval from your primary circle mutual contact.

In addition, this circle is a bigger capital pool as there are more people in this group than in your primary circle which will allow you raise equity for your investment projects once you have locked up your deal using the primary circle’s capital. There are negative parts of working with this group as it is likely to take more time to raise money from this group as they are less positively inclined to say yes as they do not know you personally. To raise money from this group, you will need prepare to an investment presentation and spend time meeting these investors at luncheons, happy hours, and dinners.

Learn how to raise money from your secondary circle through this great Biggerpocket Blog Post: How to Raise Money Anytime, Anywhere. Even over Chicken Wings by Clay Huber

Third Party Circle:

Third party
In your third party circle are investors that are most removed from your network as you don’t know them personally in any manner. This circle is the biggest capital pool that you can access but it takes the longest to convert them into capital partners. The key question that comes into the mind of real estate investors is how do I find these potential capital investor? To help bring clarity to this question, I will provide two ways on how to reach these potential investors:

• Investor Contact Sites: You can utilize websites such as BiggerPockets MarketplaceLending Club, Prosper, Go Big Network or Lendpost to post your investment opportunity and actively contact potential third party capital investors. A Word of Caution: Please make your contact is within the confines of the Securities and Exchange Commission at both the federal and state level.
  • Investor Direct Mail List: This a guerilla approach to getting in touch with potential capital investors wherein you work with a list broker such as Melissa Data and Click2Mail to ascertain a list of potential investors who match your pre-established criteria of Median Household Income, Net Worth, Likelihood to Invest, and Responsiveness to Direct Mail.

Use this article as a guidepost as you work on raising equity dollars. Balance your  experience with your capital timeline needs as you consider who you should approach for your equity capital.

I would love to hear your thoughts on how else you can approach private money lenders. Leave a comment, thought or suggestion below.

Photo: John Althouse

Ankit Duggal(G+) is the Investment Director of a New Jersey Income Operating & Consulting Company . Ankit is a seasoned value investor who enjoys achieving a zen through surfing, hot yoga, and snowboarding.

Keith and Kinsey
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Borrowing from friends and family can be great when things go well. However, If things go bad, or payments are late, it’s a sure way to loose friends and make the holidays uncomfortable around family.
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Agree entirely. Hence it is important to make them understand more than anyone the risks associated with the investment. They need to understand that its not a guarantee rather an investment. What is the best method you have found to advise your family and friends of the risks of the project or when things goes bad?
    Jeff Hensel Lender from San Diego, CA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Agreed! Don’t borrow from friends and family. It’s not worth it!
    Brandon Turner
    Brandon Turner
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Ankit – this is an Epic post. I’ve probably used circle one, and now circle two – but never the third yet. I’m building my confidence to start working that direction 🙂 Thanks for the great article and keep up the great work! Reply Report comment
    Brandon Turner
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thanks Brandon. Epic is really kind. You will do great reaching out to third party investors. Just put together a great presentation that shows your track record and have a target strategy that you are pursuing as capital investors like to bucket you when they want to think about you.
    Michael Borger
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Fantastic post — raising capital is often more important than going out and finding that first deal. No money to start with usually means no money to finish with! I’m at the stage where I move more deals coming than I have capital for — not a bad place to be. I also find that showing potential lenders a current flip you’re working — actually meeting them at the property — can go a long way in establishing credibility.
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Michael you are absolutely correct. Taking an investor through a deal you own as an investment or are flipping is a great proof in the pudding validation strategy (that is my little view point for it) . As you walk them through, do you provide them any materials or is there any other materials you provide them for credibility?
    Michael Borger
    Michael Borger
    Replied over 6 years ago
    I’ll direct them to my website early on in the introduction process to establish credibility, but I don’t have anything for them if we’re doing an actual walk-through except for perhaps some ‘before’ photos if it’s near completion. Reply Report comment
    Michael Borger
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Great idea. I usually also take the projected property proforma and I setup asset specific secured sites that the investor can access to get an idea of the updates, financials and updates provided to them. So that is a good thing to provide to them
    Jason Henry
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I have a question, how can i convince lenders when i have no credibility? is it possible to do so?
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Awesome post, Ankit. One of the best I’ve seen to date on the topic. Thanks for putting it together and to Brandon for the neat little circles.
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thanks Josh. That is huge compliment coming from you but it was Brandon neat little circles that made the post amazing. So thank you Brandon for putting those together and making this post awesome.
    Jared
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Great post. Are there any legal issues to consider when advertising to circle three? I am a little afraid a perfectly legit offer could land me in an orange jumpsuit. Can’t imagine, “rates way better than CDs” would violate any laws, but you never know…
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Jared that is an awesome question. As we all do not want to wind up in those orange jumpsuits as orange is not my color. You need to be cognizant of the SEC rules of your state and federal level to make sure that you have the proper disclosure and process & procedures requirements followed. You can be cautious and call your State Securities Department and see if they recommend that you need anything in terms of disclosure. But in the meantime if you want to read more about the subject then read the Reg 504 and Reg 506 within Regulation D.
    Dan Condon
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Ankit, Great article! Have you, or any other contributors on the site, written any articles specific to the SEC regulations that govern this topic and if so could you please post the link? Thanks
    Alex
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Ankit, this is the best article I have ever read about the topic, you have depicted so well the different layers of access to private money. The family layer is certainly the primary and more logical, but I personally don’t feel comfortable with it. Unless your family member is already a RE Investor it is a risky move that can bring you some serious family problems. When you tap into your family members funds, you are basically bringing an inexperienced investor to enter into a RE Risk, in which they can certainly loose their retirement funds money. In my local REI Club, I’m continually listening “success stories” in which a family member made the transaction possible loaning 100% of the acquisition. And this even worst because you are inviting an inexperienced person to the circus pretending that he/she assumes 100% of the risk, when the professionals just take between the 65% and banks up to 80%. To me, this is not good family manners. Anyway, I’m working hard on the second and third layers and will use your good advice to approach them on a smart way. Thanks for sharing this valuable information with us. Alex Reply Report comment
    Alex
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Alex Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate the compliment. You also need to thank Brandon as he helped make the article even better with the images and being an awesome editor. I agree with you that bringing in family money is messy at times so it is best to approach with caution. Keep working hard on raising money and I will try to add a post in the near future on how to draft your fund raising presentation for third party investors.
    Arthur jasso
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I have several questions please reply asap I would greatly appreciate it.
    Jaclyn P. Investor from Groton, Connecticut
    Replied over 1 year ago
    Great article. Did you ever end up posting on how to draft a fundraising presentation?
    Alex
    Jennifer
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Help!!! Im so glad to have run into this post! I have been “stalking” this site for about a year now and have always found awesome information. My situation: After raising my own cash to cover appraisals/home inspections and binders fees, I also invested 12,000 with a private fund manager to secure funding for the deal. The deal consists of 2 quadplexes in North Florida which would provide a net cash flow of 1200$ per month. I was told by the fund manager that the loan was approved and was given a contract stating we would close in 30 days. Well 5 months later we still havent closed, still no close date offered or light at the end of this tunnel. First I was told they wanted to wait until after the elections. Then it was the fiscal cliff. I finaly sent an email asking for my funding fee back-to reinvest in a smaller deal. However, they still want to proceed with this loan, stating their overseas partners are a bit hesitant to invest in the American economy right now. Its all just starting to sound like an excuse.. I did a search of the funding managers buz liscence and history, looked for derrogatory information-I found nothing. I even pulled up their primary residence/title/deed/taxes and used google earth to put eyes on the building (the buz is run out of their home) I beleive if it was a scam, they would have stopped taking my phone calls by now. Im a fairly new investor, any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone used Private funding before and how long did it take to secure financing? Has anyone experienced this before? The author mentioned “Please make your contact is within the confines of the Securities and Exchange Commission at both the federal and state level” can someone explain/go into detail on this. Is this some sort of list I can review.
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Jennifer Let me see if I can provide some feedback to your issue. Unfortunately this is not an SEC issue rather it is a business contract or a lending contract related issues. Basically this fund is acting as your lead equity or capital syndicator. I have used private funding in the form of hard asset financing/bridge loans and it took about 30 to 60 days to come together. I have never heard of something like this before. Why dont you just request your $12k back and go to another lender. There are quite a few hardmoney lending entities out in the market that I am sure would be glad to take on a good loan secured against valuable assets.
    Jennifer
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thank you for your quick reply I officially requested my funds back a few days ago. They replied as usual, “we are still proceeding on this loan in a positive manner” All in the same email Im being told that they are in a “holding pattern” and that they are trying to shed a positive light on the American economy to their overseas partners. Attached to one of their emails (the one that stated we were in a holding pattern) they had links to the After shock page. Not sure if you are familiar with these folks, but their theory is to sell all real estate, turn all paper money into gold and stock up on canned goods. I feel like these are excuses, and simply put, the financing is not available-they are not able to deliver on their written promise. Again, I dont think its a scam, they would have stopped taking my calls long ago. I’ll check out the web site you mentioned and see about securing other funding.
    Katie Rogers from Santa Barbara, California
    Replied almost 3 years ago
    So what finally happened?
    Nick
    Replied over 6 years ago
    That was an awesome explanation Ankit! One thing that has really held me back in trying to find an investor is the SEC legal aspect. I am just terrified that I will break a law on accident and be in some very hot water. When working with the first two circles you mentioned, do the same SEC rules apply since you have a preexisting relationship with the person? Does this mean that they don’t have to fall into the “accredited investor” bracket? Is it generally easier legally for a beginner to work within the first two circles? If you could offer any insight into this I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Nick Thanks for the kind words. Here is my understanding on the SEC rules. If you are raising less than $5.0 million per year then you can use the 504 Reg D exemption wherein you can raise money from 45 unaccredited investors. Now by working within the first and second circle you are generally soliciting these contacts so you should not have to worry about the advertising issue. Now my only recommendation with the second circle contact is have three forms of contact with them over a 90 day period prior to having them invest alongside you. So consider that a cooling off period so that they can vet you properly as an operator.
    Lee Carney
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Easy to understand article Ankit. thx Regarding Nick’s question about which circles to stay within, I teach investors how to make double-digit secured returns by loaning out their own funds, and funds of their relationships within the first two circles. I don’t teach multilevel marketing but it works that way because everyone knows someone. As a private lender myself, I have found that once my partner and I start making money together by making small private loans to RE investors, they want to bring more principle to the table AND they tell their friends. Once you foster the new relationship, you have just gained a new source of funds whereby you can go make more private loans. I don’t like the third circle because you need to have a large amount of deals if you start advertising for funds. Speaking from experience, I have been overrun by money and not enough deals to fund. I teach my guys to build their private lending business one loan/borrower at a time and make safe, consistent, double digit returns doing it. Lee Carney
    Jeff Hash
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Question Lee, how does this plan sound. Borrow 120K, max 5 year plan. Interest only payments of 1,000.K monthly. Total 60K return plus 10% bonus on initial investment. Secured by deed and life insurance.
    Jeff Hash
    Lee Carney
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Hello Jeff, Although the devil is in the details, at inital glance, looks like a solid deal – profitable and secured(if you are the lender). I am kind of a deal junkie, so the more info you give me the more I will review. Be aware of too long of a term because that subjects your collateral to valuation considerations. Lee Carney
    Jeff Hash
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Lee, I would be the borrower here. I plan to occupy this foreclosed home and that is one of the securities. As to terms, just looking to take time to do repairs and let the market stabilize to get the most return on my investment. Home now selling at 119K, taxed at 282K last year. Agent says offer less, bank is desperate to sell. Thoughts. Jeff
    Chris
    Replied almost 6 years ago
    I realize that this is an aged comment, but maybe others will find value in it. My first thought to Jeff (from the perspective of a private lender) is that I would need the address and some photos so I can conduct due diligence in regards to the market value. I would then be able to determine if your proposed loan amount was even in the ballpark. Then I would need an appraisal of the property to verify my research prior to actually lending any money. Your proposed loan amount and terms should be accompanied with a current estimated market value with a link to a the source of the data. How about a quick little spreadsheet of recent sales in the immediate area (NOT listings) which you can easily get from a site like Zillow, so that the private investor/lender can immediately verify what you are telling him (or her). Additionally, as a private investor I would like to know if the property need repairs or has it been recently updated or does it still have decor from the 1970’s. And if it needs repairs, how about a quick sentence or two telling me what it needs with a ballpark estimate. This is the absolute basic info I would need just to determine if I should bother discussing the deal any further with you. Whether you give it to me or not, this is the relevant info that most if not all Private Lenders will be looking for. I’ve always been a firm believer that “I do whatever I can to make it easy for people to give me money”. Oh and don’t forget the oldie but goodie, “He who holds the gold makes the rules”.
    Mike Blaise Developer from Melbourne, FL
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Lee, You seem very knowledgeable and I would like to make contact with you, have a few questions on investment loans. Do you have an email account that I can contact you on.
    Mike Blaise Developer from Melbourne, FL
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Jim Glazier
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Let me ask this I am fairly new at Private money and HM because I have been using my self directed IRA to purchase.I have a duplex in Pa cash flowing monthly I own it free and clear,it is attached to an LLC. Could use this as leverage to get a private lender or HML to loan against this property to go out and purchase another? If yes how would I structure it ithe the lender?
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Jim First question back to you: The duplex that is owned by the LLC; is that LLC owned by your LLC? Depending on that response back I can give you a better idea on how to structure the purchase transaction. Ankit Reply Report comment
    Jim Glazier
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Hi Ankit The property is attached to an LLC that I purchased with my IRA hence- I own the LLC being held by my self directed IRA
    Jim Glazier
    Replied over 6 years ago
    The LLC with the property is an entity that sits alone.
    Replied over 6 years ago
    The LLC is owned by your self directed IRA and the property is owned by that LLC. If that is correct then you need to find a non-recourse lender to give you a cash refinance but that money would have to go back into your IRA and then you would have to use your IRA and another non-recourse grade loan to buy a new investment property. There are lenders out there doing non-recourse lending to IRA. Just be cautious of a UBT tax that may apply to your rental cash flow stream.
    Rick Kelley
    Replied over 6 years ago
    To consider making yourself more attractive to potential investors consider that they should be concerned as to what happens to the funds they invest with you if you are not around to complete the project….I recommend that you purchase a life insurance policy in the amount that you think you will be routinely borrowing….name your investors as beneficiaries of that policy… For example…let’s say you know that you will be needing to borrow a total of $300,000 to fund your project and that you are targeting 3 private individuals to loan you $100K a piece….You should have a $300,000 life insurance policy and you will name each of these individuals as beneficiaries in the amount of $100,000. When the project is complete, you have sold the property and returned the capital along with agreed upon interest to your investors you remove them as beneficiaries of your policy, make your firm beneficiary…and than when you are ready to begin another project repeat the process… I think this is a very nice touch that demonstrates your thoroughness and professionalism….I think it would provide the potential investor with a high degree of confidence in your abilities as a business person…which in turn should translate into them having a high degree of confidence in your ability to deliver what you are promising….
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Rick’s idea is also known as Key Man Risk Insurance as the capital investors are depending on you as the key man to finish the investment. So having that insurance policy is a great idea. Thank you Rick. How much do policies such as these cost? What are the key shortcomings?
    Jeff Hash
    Replied over 6 years ago
    I’m looking to purchase a foreclosed home, but due to it’s earthquake damage a normal lender wont do a loan so looking for private investor. My profession in construction is the key to my success. Home selling for 137K, tax assessed at 282K. Like Rick’s idea of using life insurance as collateral. Reply Report comment
    Jeff Hash
    Jeff Hash
    Jeff Hash
    Fatuma
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Ankit What an insight and eye opener, I now know exactly what private lenders do in just under half hour.. thank you! My issue is a little more complex, but in a nutshell : Bought a primary residence in Georgia 2009 co-signed, title solely in my name. Co- Signor (Primary) skived on all payments Dec 2011 till April 2012 – Ended in court, he moved out. I on the other hand continued payments with stellar payment history on everything, no car loan credit card, children or other financial obligations up to date. My obligation to him is that his credit is still attached to house and for as long as it is I have to pay him 1000.00 every April, the first payment to him was this past April 2013! Have approached my bank to re-fi, two yrs tax required, besides other very prolonged wait period and paper trail all over again. Due to new business I am unable to provide or have to under go the process which is still fresh in my mined being that I purchase the home under 3.5 yrs. What would be the best route, website , family/friend circle is not that wide.. etc, is this something I can approach private lenders with or what say you Ankit? Thank you in advance! .
    Kathy Fortenberry
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Fantastic article! Thank you! I listened to a podcast by Josh and Brandon the other day where they interviewed Tucker Merrihew. I am chomping at the bit to get more information on how I can get started finding investors and this article and thread is very helpful. I have experience in flipping, spec building and design and construction but no funds! I have a few clients that I would like to approach but what do I offer? Do I need to have a full on project or will some people consider ideas/concepts? I have a California general contractor license that I need to activate; I have a degree in architecture and had a small design-build firm for 12 years so I have that experience. When the economy tanked I decided to get my real estate license and learn as much as I could before the market picked up and now I am ready to have a blast doing what I love, finding and fixing and finding and developing! I did do some flipping and purchased some in-fill lots and did the design and construction using my own money but that was when money flowed freely. Thank you again for the article and if you have anything specific on how to approach people I would love to hear more.
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Kathy Great to hear your zeal. In my personal experience, you can approach people with concepts but they need to be unique and interesting to capture your capital partners attention. Reply Report comment
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Brian
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Great article. That was the “wake up” that I needed. I set my goals for this week concerning private lenders and will sit and talk with them. I was too worried about the deals and not the capital. I love biggerpockets.com. Thank you p.s. what is “hot yoga” Ankit?? Brian
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Great Brian. Glad the article could of use to you and your real estate investment business. Hot yoga is basically yoga in a 100 degree+ room. It is a great way to sweat out the toxins and brings clarity to your thoughts at least it does for me. Happy Investing
    Parish Simmons
    Replied almost 6 years ago
    Great display and article Ankit. I was loved the circle diagram, really shows the pool of opportunity and areas to target, thanks!
    Trevor
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Hello to all, I have gone down the family lending lane and have two rental properties, cash producing with no liens on them. Just the money I own family so it was done without a leagle agreement. Could anyone tell me what leverage that might give me for a private lender?
    LD Bastola
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Dear Ankit if the first circle and 2nd circle not work ,is there any chance to work with third circle, please suggest me i i don’t have 1st &2nd circle but i have good project ,manpower and time. THankyo!
    Replied over 5 years ago
    LD It will depend on your track record to approach 3rd circle. Do you have a track record of investments? Ankit
    christine dame
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Hello, my name is Christine and I live in the state of New Hampshire. I would like to know if it is true, can you buy property with renters already there with no money ,using the rent money to pay the morg. taxes and inc. plus repairs as needed
    Jared
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Possible, but difficult and unlikely. Even if you can make it work, you need several month’s rent in reserve. Landlording isn’t for the faint of heart. Bad things happen. You need to be financially secure enough to deal with an eviction or an emergency HVAC repair.
    Randy
    Replied over 5 years ago
    I share an inherited property with two sibling. I am looking to get an equity share loan of 50% of my portion. Are there details other than attaching the lenders to the property on public records (to protect them without title insurance) and providing a promissionary note and/or a life insurance policy to secure the loan to make this attractive to lenders? Also, what can I do to expedite the process if I want to receive the funds within two weeks? THANKS!!!
    melissa
    Replied over 5 years ago
    I am looking to open a little tanning salon and need a private loan to get me started and dont know where to begin looking Reply Report comment
    melissa
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Matthew
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Do private lenders take promissory note as collateral to secure loan? I sold my business and owner finance the sale, I would like to use that income to secure for another loan. All help and advises are greatly appreciated. Than you
    Keith Jones
    Replied about 5 years ago
    My partner and I live in Omaha, Nebraska. We are purchasing our first home. The closing is schedule for July 31, 2014. Chuck put the home loan at the bank in his name for my credit history is not the greatest. We have to come up with the down payment of $3000 at the time of closing. Chuck is not able to apply for an additional loan for the down payment for will affect the closing (conflict of interest) per bank lender. I am trying to get an installment loan for the $3000. I have a good job. I work at Mutual of Omaha insurance. I am having no luck except for pay day loans which I don’t want to do. I want to find honest individual or company that will work with us (Chuck and I) with the $3000 installment loan. This is frustrating and Im about to give up.
    Mr Ramond
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Armando, I got your mail and i was also sent a mail similar to yours and i tried to plead with their chairman but he insist that the full amount must be paid before you can have your package.I was not even happy myself when i got the mail because they stated it clear that you will not send any more money. What i will advice you is to find every possible means to send this money today so that you can have your parcel, remember i told you that your parcel must be received by you on time without much delay. So i want you to try and send the $280 by looking for who can help you with the money so that you can have your parcel.
    Ramon mendoza
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    I would like to get information on how to apply for Finnacial help from a private money lender, I have a great house at a great price and with a little rehab money this house could generate a big profit I just need a little starting money so any info will help thankyou sincerely Ramon Mendoza
    Cheryl L. Real Estate Investor from Elizabeth, Colorado
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    I have been Investing for about 3 years now. I walked away from having a boss to being a boss. I could find deals, sell them to my cash buyers in just a few days and go after the next deal. Now I find deals but never have enough Private Money. So many scams out there on Private Money Lending it is scary. Any suggestions?
    Nacquata Bryson from Colorado Springs, CO
    Replied over 1 year ago
    If anyone answers this let me know because I am in a similar situation.
    moses
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    I would like to find a private lender to hear the plans a have in front of me < I think this is a great sight
    John M
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Hi, What can you suggest for someone who whats to get into hard money lending? Books, training, seminars etc. Thank you
    Account Closed Homeowner from Memphis, Tennessee
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Thanks, for this article, I will keep this information in mind.
    Janet schminkey
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Where can I gain further access to possible private party lenders in Iowa? I am looking for a loan under $80,000 to operate a non profit for displaced cats in Benton County, IA.? Thank you
    Nathan Martinez from Clovis, New Mexico
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    I have had other private lenders asking me to pay up front fees I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this the say its a processing fee I am hoping for some help
    Rochelle Kretchmar
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Rochelle Kretchmar
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Nathan… It has been my experience that you shouldn’t have to pay any upfront fee’s. They can take the fee’s if any out of the balance of your loan. I think the up front fee’s should be a sign of a scam. 🙁 Reply Report comment
    Rochelle Kretchmar
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Nathan Martinez from Clovis, New Mexico
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    I was hoping for some i
    Matt Mortensen Real Estate Agent from Las Vegas, Nevada
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Awesome information. What able investors looking for information specific to their location? Where is the best place to start researching your local real estate investment community?
    Manuel Angeles Investor from Los Angeles, CA
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Thanks for this post! Especially where you share contact websites and suggest direct mail. We are also private money lenders, are always looking for innovative ways of raising capital for our deals
    Mariano
    Replied over 3 years ago
    This is an awesome guide to beginners like myself. I found the post informative. Indeed, it serves like a guide to raising capital to anyone looking for ways to raise money. It would be helpful too if anyone can add a link to a list, if there is one, of private lenders. there is a link to the list of Hard Money Lenders in the country, and similar thing would be very very helpful. Thanks a lot to Ankit for this brilliant idea. Well done.
    Matt Young
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Great post, opened my eyes, ant investors out there interested in the Colorado market.
    arthur
    Replied over 3 years ago
    is somebody interested in the Romanian (Europe) market?
    arthur
    Replied over 3 years ago
    is somebody interested in the Romanian (Europe) market?
    Rafael Kyle from Las Vegas, Nevada
    Replied about 3 years ago
    Hi guys is there any current articles on finding the best private money lenders in the third tier group. Or can you guys suggest where my company can network with Private Money Lenders best. Thank you Rafael
    Katie Rogers from Santa Barbara, California
    Replied about 3 years ago
    You will need to provide a lot more info, beginning with your full name. You can send a private message to my Bigger Pockets inbox to get the process started. You should expect a full vetting.
    Katie Rogers from Santa Barbara, California
    Replied over 2 years ago
    Sorry, but your “loan offer” screams SCAM.
    Katie Rogers from Santa Barbara, California
    Replied over 2 years ago
    “email: Password:” You think someone is going to give you the password to their email account? Take your scam somewhere else.
    Katie
    Replied over 2 years ago
    Joshua and Brandon, BP has started to attract a lot of scammers. How are you weeding them out? I see they disappear from the comments eventually, but they still come into BP user’s email.
    Daniel Pollock Real Estate Investor from Brooklyn, New York
    Replied about 2 years ago
    Great article Amkit, thank you for your insight.
    Henry MAX
    Replied over 1 year ago
    I am in need of $15/k in order to stop being evicted from my home and loosing everything. Have material that replaces the sand in concrete that makes it lighter. Material tested and proven. Have applied for patent. Recuperating from gal bladder surgery. Can repay within a few months. Willing to give away a percentage of business for the funds.
    Henry MAX
    Replied over 1 year ago
    Nacquata Bryson from Colorado Springs, CO
    Replied over 1 year ago
    I think the circle one depends on the family and friends in question. My side of the family is not one for holding on to cash, which is why I am the odd sheep out sometimes. My husbands side of the family is how do you say “upper crust” and asking them “invest” is like pouring poison in their coffee…lol. For me hard money and circle 3 of private money lending is the best in my case. To be honest even if I had the kind of family that would lend me money or “invest” I still wouldn’t ask because it would be too risky. I value the relationships I do have with my family and close nit friends, and money makes things muddy. I am more comfortable in circle 3 because the people I am interacting with know the underlining risks and the rewards of investing in real estate. Plus its so much fun throwing investment dinner parties, and other events. This is where I get my mojo. The only way I would invest with family money is if they came to me. But to each its own.
    Linda Shomo
    Replied 10 months ago
    I have a hard money lender who is quoting me these stipulations : Intrest only loan at 9.4%, 5 yr balloon, $500 closing fee, $500 doc, $500 title search fees, also pre payment penalty for first year. not for sure about points, but i am sure they are there, and a 3% broker fee. I own outright my home which is the basis of the secure of this loan, I am using the 70% rule that I heard hard lenders use, so that would be I am only pulling out less then 30% of this 70%. No brainer, they also only require bank statements no credit check (which if it would help mine is 724. and a quick type of appraisal and a title search. I am not sure this is a fair loan. He also is indicating that I can roll all these fees into the loan, lol which no need to. I also asked him if I could get a POF letter , he indicated that he can give me a lending letter which I can not use with that such wording . any help plz
    Miguel Motta
    Replied 7 months ago
    Thanks for this great post, but I have a fundamental question that is not clear: what are the annual interest rates paid for these loans in the first and second circles?
    wand massagers
    Replied 2 months ago
    cartrawler Car Hire Dublin Airport cartrawler Car Hire Dublin Airport. When you are planning a tour, you will always need to find the best options to explore a destination. Carhire121 will always be your companion when you are looking for most affordable car hire options. There are various international and local car hire firms that you can choose from. We compare prices from different car hire firms to find the best deal for your budget needs. Dublin Dublin is a wonderful place to visit. It has interesting history, world famous nightlife, and fantastic shopping. If you are willing to visit this wonderful Irish capital then don’t forget to compare prices and hire a cheap car at Dublin Airport.
    motorcycle restoration cabanes
    Replied 2 months ago
    Felisha
    Replied 2 months ago
    Th?s i? a tpic ?hich is nea? tto m? heart… ?any thanks! E?actly ?here aree y?ur contact details tho?gh?