BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast

BiggerPockets Podcast 166: How Modeling Greatness Can Get You To 100+ Deals with Matt Aitchison

Expertise:

One of the best ways to achieve incredible results in your life is to model others who have succeeded before. At least- that’s how our guest today was able to do over 100 deals- all before his 28th birthday! Today Matt Aitchison shares his story of overcoming a rough past and how he used real estate to define an incredible future. This powerful show is slammed packed with actionable tips and tactics that YOU can use, right now, in your business to increase your net worth through real estate investing! This show is bound to go down in the books as one of the greatest shows in BiggerPockets history!

Click here to listen on iTunes.

Listen to the Podcast Here

Watch the Podcast Here

Help Us Out!

Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!

This Show Sponsored By

PATLive-LogoWe just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: PATLive. PATLive's team of superstar receptionists will always leave your customers delighted. Every agent goes through a rigorous training course before they can answer calls, and we've got quality assurance down to an art.

Learn more by visiting PATLive.com/biggerpockets!

Fire Round Sponsor

freshlogoA huge thanks as well to our Fire Round sponsor FreshBooks.
FreshBooks customers spend less time on paperwork, freeing up 2 days per month to focus on the work they love. What would you do with that extra time?

Learn more by visiting FreshBooks.

In This Episode We Cover:

• How Matt learned to invest as a child!
  • Matt’s first deal – that made him $100,000
  • Teaching your kids about real estate investing
  • Building a sizable real estate team
  • How Matt “models” others to achieve success
  • How to attract a mentor
  • The importance of “showing up
  • What makes a good wholesaler?
  • The creative strategy Matt uses to buy properties for $0 out of pocket!
  • How to vet a borrower if you are the lender
  • How Matt handle the phone leads in his business
  • Hiring an intern to replace your day-to-day tasks
  • The actual response and conversion rates Matt gets from direct mail
  • And SO much more!

Links from the Show

Books Mentioned in this Show

Tweetable Topics:

• “If you’re not keeping score you’re just practicing.” (Tweet This!)
  • “Life rewards the people who show up everyday.” (Tweet This!)

Connect with Matt

Real strategies that work for real people seeking to build wealth through real estate investments. Co-hosted by Brandon Turner and David Greene, this podcast provides actionable advice from investors and other real estate professionals, who chat about failures, successes, motivations, and lessons learned.

Matt Watkins Wholesaler from Cincinnati, Ohio
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Great podcast Matt! Loved the content and the insights to finding the motivation on the other party’s side. Will definitely be using those questions in the future. And Brandon, dig the new company name! Very catchy and easy to remember.
    Lisa DuFaux Investor from New Port Richey, Florida
    Replied over 3 years ago
    This was a terrific podcast! Matt, I also LOVE your company’s web site! It looks clean and simple but addresses everything a potential seller would want to know. Great job…I also enjoyed the reference to getting out of the stone age. A not so subtle jab at the “We Buy Ugly Houses” cave man?? I think you are being way too humble when you say you aren’t the sharpest knife in the drawer, you’ve got it going on. Thanks so much for sharing your great information and attitude!
    Cal C. Investor from Peachtree Corners, Georgia
    Replied over 3 years ago
    I’m a little confused. At one point you said that the 1st (private) lender writes a mortgage for 90% of loan to value of the purchase price (I think you meant loan to cost) Plus construction and then the second (private) lender writes a mortgage for the other 10%. Then later you said the first lender has a 15% cushion and you also talk about getting 100% of the deal funded unless you are a little leery about it. As you may know I’m not a big believer in private lending. Lots of danger for relative little return, a partnership is way way better for the money guy/gal. But you are saying upfront to make the loan a mortgage something which few who borrow from private lenders talk about but it is a requirement to reduce the risk on the loan. I commend you for that! Perhaps its understood that the loan will be a mortgage but I’d be willing to bet there are a lot of private lenders out there who aren’t smart enough to know that it is extremely foolish to lend money to a flipper, no matter how reputable, without having the property as collateral. Thus I’m sure there is a lot of private lending going on where the lender doesn’t require the loan be a mortgage. Anyway could you please clarify how you get 100% financing?
    Taylor Vincelli Investor from Salem, Oregon
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Probably my favorite podcast yet!
    Justin Kroepfl Lender from Denver, CO
    Replied over 3 years ago
    I have been listening to podcast for over a year and this was easily one of the best. Thank you for providing so much detailed information. I am a firm believer in modeling after those whos success I want to emulate and it is very motivating to see that it can work.
    Ayodeji Kuponiyi Investor from King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Probably my favorite podcast yet. Valuable information especially on raising capital and approaching potential investors on how to make them money.
    Mike Cardona from Antioch, California
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Amazing episode, thanks for sharing Matt.
    Jeff Deleon
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Excellent podcast! Thanks for sharing.
    Elijah Artman Investor from Sacramento, CA
    Replied over 3 years ago
    AMAZING show. I’m glad i’m in same town with Matt, I will meet him soon.
    Kim Handelman Real Estate Agent from Guilford, CT
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Matt or Brandon, First off, THANKS – GREAT PODCAST! I am doing DM and getting calls and I’m having a hard time keeping track of everyone. I have a CRM software for the leads but want to track how many leads I get from each mailing etc. I think you both mentioned a spreadsheet you have to do this with. Can you share it? I feel dumb asking but so many podcasts guests say they “Track DM campaigns” and I just don’t know what that looks like. Thanks so much, will go listen again because there were so many great nuggets in this one to take away!
    Donald Cooley Railroad Conductor / Future investor from New Baltimore, MI
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Great show! Definitely going to have to listen a few more times to note all the great information in this one. Thanks Matt for taking the time to share, truly inspiring. PS @Brandon Turner and @Josh Dorkin I love the Price is Right style background music when sharing the sponsors. Keep up the great work you’re doing with this site!
    Brant Richardson Investor from Santa Barbara, CA
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Wow, how does a 27 year old speak like that and build a successful multifaceted business like that? I’m extremely impressed. At 27 I just wanted to party and pay off my student loans. Great podcast.
    Eric Betancourt from San Diego, California
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Terrific episode. As a fellow UC Santa Barbara alum and beginner to REI, this show directly hit home. The idea of modeling greatness is sometimes overlooked, but why “reinvent the wheel” as Matt mentioned when you can take what you have learned from others and put your own unique spin and flavor into it. I also loved the idea of working under a mentor for “free”. As long as you truly put in the work, time, and genuine interest in growing your trade, it will NOT be for free. Matt eluded to a college education where your “pay for a piece of paper”. That type of education landed me a claustrophobic-causing cubicle accounting job and a mountain of student debt to climb. I will definitely be taking what Matt said to mind as I look for possible mentors to lead my path to real estate investing. Even have some Isla Vistan mutual friends with Matt on Facebook.
    Sergey Tkachev Investor, Agent, CPA from West Sacramento, CA
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Jumping in here late since I’m catching up the last couple months of podcasts. This was an awesome podcast, just like @Elijah Artman, I am in the same city as Matt and it seems like deals have been really drying up but his gives hope. Thank you for sharing your experience!
    RZ
    Replied over 3 years ago
    You guys are awesome.. I watch your You Tube Video Poscast in my TV (Chromecast) almost everyday! Keep up with the fantastic job you are doing!! It is by far the best RE Investment Information/Forum website in the market…
    Max Brunke Attorney from Portland, Oregon
    Replied almost 3 years ago
    Hi Matt, I’m behind and catching up on all the podcasts. I liked your affirmation. What other affirmations do you return to each day?