Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sean Dougherty
  • hilo, hi
Votes |
Bank demanding full pay off!!!

Sean Dougherty
  • hilo, hi
Posted Mar 9 2019, 15:38

Sorry for the long story but want to make sure to paint this picture somewhat clearly.

I am the buyer in this transaction. I have contacted home owner in default and worked with them for months to purchase their home. We opened escrow back in December through our realtor. 

Owner filled out all appropriate paper work in timely fashion, including hardship letter with proof of physical disability and loss of job. They surely qualify for short sale.

Full payoff amount is around $300k (legal fees etc. included). Home is in major disrepair. I had two separate contractors bid for repairs.  Repair estimate was for $70k. I submitted offer at  $215k all cash, as is, no contingencies. I attached both repair estimates by licensed contractors as well as my proof of funds.

Initially back in January we got a counter from loan servicer for $290k. We countered asking for a price evaluation as we felt that was too high. They did not respond for over a month. Finally after hours on the phone we find out that the loan had since been transferred to a new servicer. We got in touch with that servicer and now they will only accept a full pay off. When we asked about the value dispute, they would not give any answers as to if that was addresses or not.  

My questions are. 

1) I am sure the home is not worth anything close to $300k. And therefor the value dispute. Aren't they legally liable to at least address that request and give some documentation to support their price?

2)From the perspective of the seller: How is this fair to the seller. They are more than qualified as far as hardships go. There is no way the home will sell for the banks price. They are essentially forcing distressed home owner to foreclose even with a genuine hardship. Owner had previously received letters from bank in mail giving them information of short sale options. We went through everything they asked and gave bank an all cash offer. Is there any legal action the sellers can go through to push this short sale and avoid foreclosure?

3)It seems the only logical explanation is that the bank wants this property to foreclose. How could that be beneficial for them? 

Thanks for your time.

Loading replies...