Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Bob Hines
  • Real Estate Investor
  • StL, MO
Votes |
Need experienced short sale advice

Bob Hines
  • Real Estate Investor
  • StL, MO
Posted Dec 3 2011, 19:45

I've focused on REO and have never done a short sale. So with no experience, I would like to ask those that have been involved with short sales about how they generally work.

Details: 2 family home in a good area that I thought was interesting a couple of months ago listed at $69,900. I deleted it off of my watch list because it was listed as a contingent short sale. Every time I browsed the listings I would look at it because it's a good price, good condition and in a good location only to realize again that it is a contingent short sale. The property just got relisted last night as the deal fell through and is now listed at $63,200 and 335 DOM. In the relisting, the agent has the following language, "Short sale APPROVED! Looking for QUICK CLOSE." (caps from the listing)

My questions:
1. What does the 'approved' mean with the price? Is it approved for $63,200 as that was the deal that fell apart and there is not much chance of a lower price or can I negotiate a lower offer now that that deal fell apart?

2. What does 'quick close' mean? Is that the owner wanting to close before the imminent foreclosure or is it the bank that finally worked through the short sale process wanting to go ahead and finish the short sale? Do banks care how long the process has gone on?

My hope is that I can offer $50k-$55k in cash and close by the end of the year and get the bank to accept. In your experience, do I have much chance of this?

Loading replies...