Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
1031 Exchanges
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sean Williams
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
1031 Exchange - Dissolving LLC and Reinvesting the Funds Personally

Sean Williams
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Posted

Greetings - looking for some guidance on a situation:

Currently myself and 2 other business partners own a property in an LLC (33% ownership each).

We will be selling the property for roughly $4M, and then dissolving the LLC following the sale. For simplicity sake, lets say the sale nets $1M total or ($333k each) before capital gains taxes and recaptured depreciation.

My question:
Is it possible to take my portion of the proceeds ($333k) and reinvest it into another property on my own via a 1031 exchange? I know typically that title to the new property would remain with the existing LLC, however since we will be going separate ways and dissolving the LLC, I am trying to find a way to avoid the capital gains and depreciation recapture for myself personally.

If it is in fact possible, how does title work for the new property? Along with the purchase price and debt requirements on the new property?

Thank you in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Professional Services
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied

@Sean Williams, If all the partners are OK with each doing their own 1031 as well then it's an easy matter for the LLC to do the exchange. And after the properties have been purchased the LLC is dissolved. And the properties distributed into each of your names as tenants in common. This is called a Swap and Drop". The LLC does the exchange and then is dissolved. It works but it's unwieldy becuase the LLC has to worry about the value of each replacement equaling the members ownership %. and debt is very tricky to place since it is first the LLC that is purchasing the new property.

An alternative called the drop and swap is coming into favor. In this the LLC is dissolved right before the sale and the property is put into each of the former member's names as tenants in common according to your % of the LLC. Then upon sale each of you can do your own 1031 on the property you own as yourself. This is a process that has had to grow on the IRS. But there have been several rulings in recent years that support it. And it could work quite nicely for you.

I've got a new print resource  I'll get to you via pm.  ONe of the chapters is specifically on this process and the case law surrounding it.

User Stats

Votes
Sean Williams
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Replied

Thank you Dave, this is exactly the information I was looking for...the Drop and Swap founds interesting, I'll check out your resource and dive into it. I'll be in touch, thank you!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Speer
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied

Have you considered exchanging into a DST?

User Stats

Votes
Sean Williams
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Replied

Hi Dylan - thank you for mentioning this, I think that is something we would pass on. But great idea/option!