Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
1031 Exchanges
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Erica Milano
Votes |
1031 or Pay Taxes: Selling a Place During Pandemic

Erica Milano
Posted Jun 17 2020, 18:14

Hey All,

I'm currently on the fence of selling my property during a pandemic and wanted to seek for advice.

I purchased my condominium in California about 10 years ago. I initially lived in the property but moved to a different city for a job so I've been using this place as an investment property for the past 5+ years.

For the last couple of years, I've lost some tenants due to some issues with the building. I've been managing this property remotely and it's been very stressful; therefore, I made a decision to sell my place.

I currently don't have any tenants and not planning to have any until I sell the place. I still have a mortgage to pay for so I'm bleeding money out the door every month.

Ideally I would like to sell the place and do a 1031 exchange and purchase another home closer to where I currently live; however, due to COVID's situation, inventory around my area is very limited.

If I were to sell the place outright and not do a 1031 exchange, I would be losing out on close to $100k in taxes (w/ my income and capital gains).

Here are some of the options that I thought over:

1. Paying Taxes-- Sell the house now and try to do a 1031 exchange but due to limited inventory, I'll most likely won't find a place to buy in time and have to pay $100k in taxes.

Pros: Better chance of selling since the inventory is low in the area. Can hold onto the money until the pricing will lower in the next 1-2 years. Don't need to rush to buy a house in 45 days. Won't have the place vacant for too long.

Cons: Will lose out on $100k in taxes

2) 1031 Exchange-- Holding onto the condo until there's more inventory in the market (vacant for ~1 year. *Assuming prices will lower due to recession) and pricing to go down

Pros: Will not have to pay $100k in taxes. Pricing will go down due to recession

Cons: Will leave the place empty for about a year. Need to do a 1031 exchange so I'll be rushing to buy a house. Decrease in property value and may not be able to sell the house at all. My condo's pricing will decrease

By doing simple math and writing down the pros and cons, the obvious risk adverse option is (1). But losing out on $100k on taxes sounds silly and many investment related books that I read always suggest deferring taxes or finding a work around.

Thank you for reading and would love to hear your honest feedback and advice.

Loading replies...