Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Tessa Henley
Votes |
Wanted: Looking to Shadow Someone in REI

Tessa Henley
Posted Dec 27 2022, 17:25

Hi Everyone - Tessa here. I'm looking to align myself to my long term plan of becoming an investor. Financially, I'm not quite there yet (paying off student loans is still my primary goal), but I want to start learning as much as possible. I'm seeking someone in the Asheville area to shadow or be an extra set of hands so I can see how it's done. I'd like to surround myself with people doing what I want to be doing to speed the process.

I'm also interested in meeting with people NOT in Asheville as a way to learn. 

Please message me if you're open to something like this! I can serve as an assistant or support with data entry if that means a learning experience. 

Thank you! 

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Dec 28 2022, 07:28

Hey Tessa, first of all, welcome to the BiggerPockets community! I think it is important to try to find a mentor who is doing what you want to do. I like to try to set up every month a meeting with someone I think I can learn from or who could be a potential mentor.

Try to attend your local REI networking groups and meetups. Connect with as many real estate mentors as you can.

You can also consult with lenders, brokers and ask them for suggestions on who might be a good real estate mentor most will be able to provide one.

Try to think of different ways you can add value to that person. What are your strengths? For example are you experienced in social media marketing? Could you offer a mentor some tips? This way its not just a one way street.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 28 2022, 07:50

If you look it it like making friends vs looking for a teacher it might be a more productive search.

That might be best done in person, close to home.

North Carolina to me always (in the background) whispers Nascar and Furniture, and I suspect people with the money like Real Estate too.

Finding one or two people who are doing what you want to do (realistically will be able to do vs pie in the sky) and befriending them might work out well for you.

There is not much use spending all of your time looking for big players buying skyscrapers if you want to buy a SFH.

Birds of a feather, try real estate meet ups -- and be clear (with yourself) about what you want to learn.

Good Luck!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Derek Robinson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Dec 28 2022, 08:51

Hey @Tessa Henley, Welcome to Asheville! (not sure how long you've been here?).  I believe attending local meetups will be your best bet.  I've found there isn't a strong BP community in Asheville on this forum like other markets for some reason.  We host a local meetup twice a month in Asheville.  One is in the morning on the 4th Wednesday (just happened this morning) and the other is in the evenings on the third Wednesday.  If you want to share your email, I'm happy to add you to the reminder list.  We also have a Slack Channel with over 80 members discussing Asheville related real estate.

You can look into CREIA as well.  Much larger group.

As a full time investor myself, I think it's hard to just plug someone into current systems or have someone let you shadow, but maybe you'll find that fit?  Doesn't hurt to put it out in the universe!

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help!

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Davidson
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Dec 28 2022, 09:15

Hey @Tessa Henley. I second @Derek Robinson's suggestion. If you come out to our local meetups (which are free by the way...no membership), you'll connect with a variety of people regarding investment focus and experience, in part because the style is a little more casual and open forum (unlike CREIA). From there you'll likely find several friends to learn from and grow with.

User Stats

Votes
Tessa Henley
Votes |
Replied Dec 28 2022, 14:01
Quote from @Steven Foster Wilson:

Hey Tessa, first of all, welcome to the BiggerPockets community! I think it is important to try to find a mentor who is doing what you want to do. I like to try to set up every month a meeting with someone I think I can learn from or who could be a potential mentor.

Try to attend your local REI networking groups and meetups. Connect with as many real estate mentors as you can.

You can also consult with lenders, brokers and ask them for suggestions on who might be a good real estate mentor most will be able to provide one.

Try to think of different ways you can add value to that person. What are your strengths? For example are you experienced in social media marketing? Could you offer a mentor some tips? This way its not just a one way street.

Thank you, Steven! I agree. Making this not a one-way street is crucial. I'd love to balance someone's workload for free.. so I could "learn on the job" as they say. Or add value as a free assistant. I'm super sharp (so I've been told), so I pick up easily. Thank you for your advice!

User Stats

Votes
Tessa Henley
Votes |
Replied Dec 28 2022, 14:03
Quote from @Scott Mac:

If you look it it like making friends vs looking for a teacher it might be a more productive search.

North Carolina to me always (in the background) whispers Nascar and Furniture, and I suspect people with the money like Real Estate too.

Finding one or two people who are doing what you want to do (realistically will be able to do vs pie in the sky) and befriending them might work out well for you.

There is not much use spending all of your time looking for big players buying skyscrapers if you want to buy a SFH.

Birds of a feather, try real estate meet ups -- and be clear (with yourself) about what you want to learn.

Good Luck!

Scott, I agree completely! I was so close to meeting a local real estate developer who has the same vision as I do via connecting with someone at a random event. There was no follow-through, so no connection was made. 

Why does Nascar and Furniture ring a bell for you? I'm new here, so may not get the reference.

Thank you for your guidance!

User Stats

Votes
Tessa Henley
Votes |
Replied Dec 28 2022, 14:06
Quote from @Mitch Davidson:

Hey @Tessa Henley. I second @Derek Robinson's suggestion. If you come out to our local meetups (which are free by the way...no membership), you'll connect with a variety of people regarding investment focus and experience, in part because the style is a little more casual and open forum (unlike CREIA). From there you'll likely find several friends to learn from and grow with.

Hey Mitch! I would love this. Do you attend the same meetup as Derek? What other meetups do you attend? Thank you for your guidance :) 

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Davidson
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Dec 28 2022, 14:25

@Tessa Henley. Yep. Same meetup at Derek is referring to. Next meetings are January 18 and 25. Also, @Christian Longacre has a new monthly meetup. The next meeting is January 3rd at Sweeten Creek Brewing at 6PM. And I would also check out AVL Meetup, run by Rodrigo Afanador.

User Stats

Votes
Christian Longacre
Pro Member
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Dec 28 2022, 14:57

Hi @Tessa Henley!  Welcome to Asheville, I'll send you a message with the details for my meetup and some other resources that you might find helpful.

User Stats

Votes
Sarita Scherpereel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Dec 28 2022, 15:47

Hi @Tessa Henley Welcome to the community! Glad you're here. I always recommend that anyone getting started attend in person meet ups. It's a great way to become more knowledgeable on your local investors. Maybe from their you can find someone to shadow.  BiggerPockets has a section just for this, Under the NETWORK tab- Meet up

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

Best of luck to you!

Sarita Sells Logo

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 28 2022, 18:33
Quote from @Tessa Henley:
Quote from @Scott Mac:

Good Luck!

Scott, I agree completely! I was so close to meeting a local real estate developer who has the same vision as I do via connecting with someone at a random event. There was no follow-through, so no connection was made. 

Why does Nascar and Furniture ring a bell for you? I'm new here, so may not get the reference.

The Charlotte Motor Speedway is the home of NASCAR...It's where it started...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fCLVapcR2A

High Point: 

https://www.housebeautiful.com/design-inspiration/a26945378/high-point-north-carolina-american-made-furniture/

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Davidson
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Dec 30 2022, 06:30
Quote from @Scott Mac:
Quote from @Tessa Henley:
Quote from @Scott Mac:

Good Luck!

The Charlotte Motor Speedway is the home of NASCAR...It's where it started...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fCLVapcR2A

High Point: 

https://www.housebeautiful.com/design-inspiration/a26945378/high-point-north-carolina-american-made-furniture/

@Scott Mac: In this land of "Nascar and furniture" we have the most diverse forest in the entire continent (western NC), some of the most pristine coastline, several top tier universities, a metro area (Charlotte) of 2.7 million people and rapidly growing, two large military bases and towns, the #1 most visited national park (the Blue Ridge Parkway), some of the most coveted hiking and mountain biking trails and parks, the largest home in the US (The Biltmore Estate), towns like Asheville that consistently make top-10 lists for lifestyle and relocation, coastal towns like Wilmington that are so desirable that they have nearly no land left to build upon, fantastic weather that includes all 4 seasons but only mildly so, etc. I could go on. North Carolina continues to draw massive amounts of vacationers and relocators for these reasons and many others.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 16 2023, 17:20

@Mitch Davidson

Exactly!

NC has it all. Now I’m laying down investor roots. Would love to work with you on my next purchase. I sent you a DM. 

Let’s connect!

All the best,

~ Deanna