Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes

Ideas for a tiny home property

Posted Feb 3 2023, 04:39

Hi there I'm looking for any ideas on how to proceed with developing a tiny home property. We want to do something on beautiful land in Northern Arizona and create a property that really embraces nature. For now I just want to do this to enjoy it with family and friends and have some adventures, but I could definitely see people wanting to rent this out or use it as an STR. I have some experience providing these types of outdoor tourism experience for clients already. Looking to see if anyone has any connections in this region or suggestions on how to break down a deal so that this would also come off as a solid long-term investment. Definitely have some cash to put in this deal but I'd like to finance it intelligently and I've still got a lot to learn regarding smart financing.

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Feb 3 2023, 07:12

I've looked at doing this in Northern Arizona as well. The biggest challenges I found were:

1. Financing - I couldn't find a lender who would finance a development deal like this.

2. Zoning - A lot of areas up north have minimum square footage requirements, and also require site built homes (so no prefab allowed).

3. Construction - You didn't mention exactly where you would like to build. But getting crews to a remote location is going to be a challenge, and ultimately means you will be paying more per square foot to build compared to in the city.

Looking forward to others responses to see how these challenges can be overcome.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 3 2023, 16:11
Quote from @Scott E.:

I've looked at doing this in Northern Arizona as well. The biggest challenges I found were:

1. Financing - I couldn't find a lender who would finance a development deal like this.

2. Zoning - A lot of areas up north have minimum square footage requirements, and also require site built homes (so no prefab allowed).

3. Construction - You didn't mention exactly where you would like to build. But getting crews to a remote location is going to be a challenge, and ultimately means you will be paying more per square foot to build compared to in the city.

Looking forward to others responses to see how these challenges can be overcome.

Sounds like we could do a small mastermind about it, Scott! I’ve definitely made some progress on all 3 elements you addressed and have found a few areas that might have the leeway to let it happen. The financing is tricky as you mentioned for sure. Actually, Sedona city code for example is not as restrictive as you’d think. The restrictions have come from the HOAs and deeded restrictions. So there’s also a lot of that going on in some of the more desirable areas in Coconino and Yavapai, at least. I’m yet to start investigating Prescott, Chino Valley, or Payson areas. 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Steven Hasslinger
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Albany, OR
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Albany, OR
Replied Feb 4 2023, 06:06

I am in Cottonwood AZ with the same idea.  I think going Yavapai county or Coconino county in ypur case vs city limits may open up more options.

I will start looking into county codes and GIS maps to see how far Utility services extend.

Off grid and alternative building is another interest.  Finding creative solutions for water, septic, electric.  

My vision is a compound of 4 smaller dwellings with a central area for community and some shared access to laundry/patio/storage to keep costs down.

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Feb 4 2023, 07:18
Quote from @Nicholas Tambakeras:
Quote from @Scott E.:

Sounds like we could do a small mastermind about it, Scott! I’ve definitely made some progress on all 3 elements you addressed and have found a few areas that might have the leeway to let it happen. The financing is tricky as you mentioned for sure. Actually, Sedona city code for example is not as restrictive as you’d think. The restrictions have come from the HOAs and deeded restrictions. So there’s also a lot of that going on in some of the more desirable areas in Coconino and Yavapai, at least. I’m yet to start investigating Prescott, Chino Valley, or Payson areas. 

If you want to put together a virtual meetup for this, I'm in! Don't know how much value I can add as it sounds like you're much further along in due diligence. But may be beneficial to put a few minds together.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Meyers
  • Developer
  • Cottonwood, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Cottonwood, AZ
Replied Feb 5 2023, 17:52

I'm in Cottonwood as well and have looked at local zoning requirements for this. Best bet would be some county land. 

Lenders (either banks or private money) finance RV parks and with articulation, tiny house camps are similar. 

I'd love to connect too.

User Stats

Votes
Martin D.
  • Realtor
  • Sedona, AZ
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Sedona, AZ
Replied Feb 7 2023, 09:06

I'm also in Northern Arizona. I've looked into this, and to some extent, am already doing it, to a smaller scale.

Cities don't like tiny homes. I've seen countless projects emerge with enthusiasm, only to be destroyed in the permitting process.

I'm building prefabs in Cottonwood and it's a nightmare.

You want to get land at the county level–and if possible in Coconico, not Yavapai. They're much more anti-development here.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Meyers
  • Developer
  • Cottonwood, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Cottonwood, AZ
Replied Feb 7 2023, 20:19
Quote from @Martin D.:

I'm also in Northern Arizona. I've looked into this, and to some extent, am already doing it, to a smaller scale.

Cities don't like tiny homes. I've seen countless projects emerge with enthusiasm, only to be destroyed in the permitting process.

You want to get land at the county level–and if possible in Coconico, not Yavapai. They're much more anti-development here.

@Martin D. Not too long ago, Cottonwood added (more) friendly Tiny home ordnances to its' books. I'd love to hear about your prefabs.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 7 2023, 20:39

Hey everyone,

I’m a builder of tiny home on wheels. We’re getting more into development building than custom one off builds. We’ve started working with land owners to help get homes on the land for long term rentals, short term rentals, and sales. If you guys have a call I’d love to join in maybe I can provide some insight on the THOW as well as financing around them.

User Stats

Votes
Martin D.
  • Realtor
  • Sedona, AZ
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Sedona, AZ
Replied Feb 10 2023, 08:20
Quote from @Dave Meyers:
Quote from @Martin D.:

@Martin D. Not too long ago, Cottonwood added (more) friendly Tiny home ordnances to its' books. I'd love to hear about your prefabs.

Check out the Mesquite Springs subdivision. It's a manufactured-home only neighborhood with an HOA + architectural committee. It's cute. Long-term only though, not STR.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Bang
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Texas; Arizona
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Texas; Arizona
Replied Feb 10 2023, 08:36

Gila County was easy to work with, I built a treehouse just outside of Payson.  It took awhile to get it approved, but were very nice along the way, there never seemed to be a time where it wouldn't happen, just had to figure out what they needed from a structural engineer or how to label the plans to meet their criteria or get an exception.  I would build another.  If you are trying something that hasn't been done before, I would call Gila County creative investor friendly.

Pictures of the treehouse are in my profile