Austin Bull
  • Mesa, AZ
Votes |
Books Recommendations Please!

Austin Bull
  • Mesa, AZ
Posted May 23 2023, 23:22

Hey everyone,

Please let me know your favorite REI book below. A book that you would say is a must read for a new investor like myself to create a foundation of knowledge.

I'll kick it off by saying "The House Hacking Strategy" by Craig Curelop recommended by BP is teaching me a lot.

Looking forward to the replies, Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Josh Young
  • Rental Property Investor / REALTOR® / Property Manager
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor / REALTOR® / Property Manager
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied May 24 2023, 05:19

@Austin Bull I discovered the BP podcast after I had my 1st rental, that's when I really started to learn a lot. The podcast was Brandon Turner and David Greene and they would ask every guest what their favorite book was, Rich Dad Poor Dad was the overwhelming favorite, and it is at the top of my list.  The next book I heard a lot of recommendations for was The Millionaire Real Estate Investor, this book is great for developing a specific plan, he talks about Return on Equity, I wasn't hearing a lot of people or books talk about this, but it really made sense to me and it's one of my favorite measurements today.  

User Stats

Votes
Bryce Jamison
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mebane, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mebane, NC
Replied May 24 2023, 06:29

These aren't specifically for real estate, but 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is great. Even just reading the first section about changing your paradigm can change your life. Anything from Napoleon Hill is good, specifically Think and Grow Rich. If you like Rich Dad Poor Dad check out The Millionaire Next Door. 

I loved Rich Dad Poor Dad when I first read it, and honestly still do, but when I found out there was never really a rich dad it bummed me out. It's like when you figure out Santa isn't real (sorry children under 7 if you're reading this).

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Thomas
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Replied May 24 2023, 06:50
I have read a few really great ones over the years.

"Rich Dad Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki (Although not specifically focused on real estate, this book provides valuable insights into financial literacy and the mindset required for investing, including real estate.)
"The Book on Rental Property Investing" by Brandon Turner
"The Millionaire Real Estate Investor" by Gary Keller
"The ABCs of Real Estate Investing" by Ken McElroy
"Investing in Real Estate" by Gary W. Eldred

Good luck & happy investing!

User Stats

Votes
Romney Salanoa
  • New to Real Estate
  • Salt Lake County, UT
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Salt Lake County, UT
Replied May 24 2023, 07:00

Hey Austin,

The book I am currently reading is never split the difference by Chris Voss. This book isn't directly relates to REI but this book is one that can be used in almost any endeavor especially when making deals. I have used some of the info in the book for several off market deals.

Hope this helps

Romney

User Stats

Votes
Yael Lederman
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Miami, FL
Replied May 24 2023, 07:59

Echo the recommendations. Some more are "The Real Estate Game" by William Poorvu, "Emerging Real Estate Markets" by David Lindah, and "What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow..." by Frank Gallinelli

User Stats

Votes
    Ran Iarovich
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Washington
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Washington
    Replied May 24 2023, 08:05

BRRRR

Millionaire Real Estate Investor

Real Monopoly - Zeckendorf

Long Distance Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
    Austin Bull
    • Mesa, AZ
    Votes |
    • Mesa, AZ
    Replied May 24 2023, 09:24

Thank you all for the recommendations. I literally bought 12 of them right now. I'm planning on reading a couple a month. It seems like "rich dad poor dad" is a consensus must read amongst a lot of people. Good thing Amazon delivers it to my house today.

User Stats

Votes
    Austin Bull
    • Mesa, AZ
    Votes |
    • Mesa, AZ
    Replied May 24 2023, 09:25
    Quote from @Romney Salanoa:

Hey Austin,

The book I am currently reading is never split the difference by Chris Voss. This book isn't directly relates to REI but this book is one that can be used in almost any endeavor especially when making deals. I have used some of the info in the book for several off market deals.

Hope this helps

Romney

I'm excited about this one. I listened to the BP podcast where Chris Voss came on, so I'll be curious about this book for sure.

User Stats

Votes
    Michael A.
    • Investor
    • Richmond, VA
    Votes |
    • Investor
    • Richmond, VA
    Replied May 24 2023, 16:03

@Austin Bull Love your energy - keep it up. But don’t fall into the never-ending prep phase like I did. I spent a long time reading in isolation when I should have been asking local investors out to lunch so I could talk to them, calling realtors I saw on listing pages to start relationships, or working a bit more to sock away some extra money for a down payment. But if you want this, you’ll find success regardless so don’t let me bring you down. All that being said, “Hold” (yellow cover) was all I needed to get started. Loved it. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
    Blake Novotney
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Wilmington, NC
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Wilmington, NC
    Replied May 25 2023, 05:35

Lots of fantastic recommendations in here already, I'd say as far as directly related to REI, The Book on Investing in Real Estate With No (and Low) Money Down by Brandon Turner is a must for getting started.

Other personal development books I love-

The Power of One More by Ed Mylett

Atomic Habits by James Clear

The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson

User Stats

Votes
    Austin Bull
    • Mesa, AZ
    Votes |
    • Mesa, AZ
    Replied May 26 2023, 13:20
    Quote from @Michael A.:

@Austin Bull Love your energy - keep it up. But don’t fall into the never-ending prep phase like I did. I spent a long time reading in isolation when I should have been asking local investors out to lunch so I could talk to them, calling realtors I saw on listing pages to start relationships, or working a bit more to sock away some extra money for a down payment. But if you want this, you’ll find success regardless so don’t let me bring you down. All that being said, “Hold” (yellow cover) was all I needed to get started. Loved it. Good luck!

I'll definitely check out "hold". And I promise I won't wait too long to get in the game.

User Stats

Votes
    Austin Bull
    • Mesa, AZ
    Votes |
    • Mesa, AZ
    Replied May 26 2023, 13:23
    Quote from @Blake Novotney:

Lots of fantastic recommendations in here already, I'd say as far as directly related to REI, The Book on Investing in Real Estate With No (and Low) Money Down by Brandon Turner is a must for getting started.

Other personal development books I love-

The Power of One More by Ed Mylett

Atomic Habits by James Clear

The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson

Thanks for the recommendations. I will check them out. That book by Brandon Turner I've heard was a really good one.

User Stats

Votes
    Joshua Mchatten
    Pro Member
    • Investor
    • Arizona
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Investor
    • Arizona
    Replied Jul 19 2023, 22:46

Hey Austin,

I'm new investor like yourself so the list is short, here's a few books that Ive recently read & recommend. 

-Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki

-ABC's of Real Estate Investing by Ken McElroy

Ive soaked up so much great information and insight from both of these books. Both have only made me more obsessed to learn and grow more in REI.