Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Klein
Votes |
HVAC and Real Estate

Jacob Klein
Posted Sep 15 2023, 14:23

We own an HVAC business. But my wife and I have started studying for our real estate exam. We have the HVAC business streamlined very well and have a lot of time on our hands most of the year. And I would like to get out of hard labor for the rest of my life. Currently I sell about 2.5 million a year in HVAC work. Bla Bla Bla.....

Im trying to figure out how I can leverage the HVAC business to amplify our real estate career. We have about 4000 customers in our database that have spent between a few hundred and tens of thousands with us. Likely we can figure out a way to advertise to them that we do both HVAC and Real Estate. And I can hand out magnets on calls that have both businesses on them. 

But is there a way to be attractive to other real estate agents? I dont 100% understand the dynamics of how deals between agents go. Im sure I will learn more as the next few months transpire. 

But, for example, if we offered 2% off for every 100k in real estate on the HVAC side of things. In other words, if a customer used us for a real estate deal, and the house sold for 500k, we would offer 10% off HVAC service or installation. 

Or any other things that would attract customers, or agents to us? Any suggestions. 

Or maybe the HVAC company hold no weight?

BTW, we are actually in Copperopolis, Arnold, Groveland, Sonora area. Not Modesto

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Replied Sep 16 2023, 12:25
Quote from @Jacob Klein:

We own an HVAC business. But my wife and I have started studying for our real estate exam. We have the HVAC business streamlined very well and have a lot of time on our hands most of the year. And I would like to get out of hard labor for the rest of my life. Currently I sell about 2.5 million a year in HVAC work. Bla Bla Bla.....

Im trying to figure out how I can leverage the HVAC business to amplify our real estate career. We have about 4000 customers in our database that have spent between a few hundred and tens of thousands with us. Likely we can figure out a way to advertise to them that we do both HVAC and Real Estate. And I can hand out magnets on calls that have both businesses on them. 

But is there a way to be attractive to other real estate agents? I dont 100% understand the dynamics of how deals between agents go. Im sure I will learn more as the next few months transpire. 

But, for example, if we offered 2% off for every 100k in real estate on the HVAC side of things. In other words, if a customer used us for a real estate deal, and the house sold for 500k, we would offer 10% off HVAC service or installation. 

Or any other things that would attract customers, or agents to us? Any suggestions. 

BTW, we are actually in Copperopolis, Arnold, Groveland, Sonora area. Not Modesto

I have some ideas, I sent you a DM

User Stats

Votes
Nick Maugeri
  • Realtor
  • Modesto, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Modesto, CA
Replied Nov 29 2023, 11:09

Hi Jacob, this sounds like as long as you disclose as an affiliated business that you might be okay. It would be good to consult and review RESPA for this. I think the greatest challenge you will face is adding value over other companies, an instance of this is that a local company in Modesto offers 100% financing at 0% interest. The lowest hanging fruit is likely your ability to approach a seller that needs a new HVAC and replace it at cost, then you would be reimbursed at close of escrow for the effort but you would also secure the listing. I am just sharing thoughts, would be worthwhile to double check with local brokers or managers. 

• Real Estate Agent CALIFORNIA (CA) (#02109522)

• 209-409-4225
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alan F.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Replied Nov 29 2023, 12:02
Quote from @Jacob Klein:

I'm a commercial electrical contractor in Northern California for 31 years (NO RESIDENTIAL) and my relationships with fellow business owners and my burning desire to provide high quality efficient residential properties has been rather beneficial. Leverage your relationships but don't commingle your businesses. I build out resi with manual J, S, D compliant work, HERS rated yada yada. I do high end only & its lucrative, so low volume high margin. But I still like my business dont want to leave my "day job". As you well know most resi flips are eye liner n mascara on crappy infrastructure. Find your niche and you'll kill it.