Buy a car or house first?

Buy a car or house first?

Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 362 votes

Hey guys I'm 19 years old and work for a Real estate property management company in San Antonio. I make 25k a year and have a credit score of 720-725 depending on what score is used.  I need to get a new car because my old one is nickle and diming me and the repairs cost more than the value of the car. I bought this car used for cash a while back so I wasn't making monthly payments on it and didn't have a car loan. I would like to take over the payments for the vehicle that my Dad drives (he has 9k still owed on it and it is worth about 14k) and put it in my name to build my credit. I would like to build my credit as much as possible since I am also looking to purchase a property this summer or fall 2018 and house hack. I've heard two different sides to the issue of buying a car or house first. Some say that the car should wait because then I won't be able to get a decent house because I will have more debt. Others say that the debt and consistent payments will show mortgage lenders I am responsible and can pay important payments every month with no issue. I know I'm young and don't make much so I don't have a lot going for me and I realize this but I would like to get started in real estate ASAP. With this in mind I am trying to be very careful and not do things that will hinder me being able to get my first property and house hack and begin my real estate journey to freedom. What do you guys/gals think and why? Any and all comments or opinions are appreciated thank you!

3Reply
204 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
8y

At this stage in your life do not buy a car, or any large item, that you can not pay cash for. You only use credit when you can pay it off as soon as the bills come in. Clear all bad debt first and begin to save diligently to invest.

You need to get established, improve your income, possibly with a second job, learn to live frugally, save every penny possible for the future, put aside your ASAP investing plans and begin to associate with the right people.

What you are working toward is a life plan not a today plan, life is not a race. You must plan and save till the time is right based on your financial readiness. All too many beginners want to rush into what is a long slow race to the finish and will burn themselves out before they even begin.

See this reply in the discussion

87 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 191 posts · 165 votes
    8y
    Michael Guzik Love how people start recommending you all sorts of advice without a clue as to your overall situation. From what it sounds like, you need a car for work. If you can live without a car, that’d be the best situation to reduce expenses and save faster. If you absolutely need it, what kind of car? Depends on what you need for work, how reliable it is, and how you’d like to use the car down the line for real estate. How much to spend? Obviously as little as possible to meet your minimum needs, not your wants. 4K is not a lot and 25k is really low income. Shawn Q. Is right, you need more income. If you want to get into REI, the more money you can earn, the better. If a cheap car can help you get a second job, that might be a good way to approach this purchase.
  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 362 votes
    8y

    @Rachel Luoto Thank you for the advice! I have been in contact with a mortgage broker who seems very honest and is actually willing to work with me. At my age everyone ignores me or treats me like crap so those that actually listen and help are valuable to me. He said that adding a car would help me get my third line of credit and help boost my probability of having an amazing credit and qualifying for the FHA loan. He compared what I would be applying for to food stamps for those who can't really afford groceries. San Antonio is not a very expensive market but it isn't a cheap market either. Sadly I work 25-35 minutes for work so I can't bike. My brother does have a truck so I am covered on that end of the rehab part.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 362 votes
    8y

    @Sung Park Thank you for your advice and for trying to understand the situation before replying I really do appreciate that! You are 100% right I really do need one for work since it is a good 25-35 minutes away. You are also right about the low income and that's why I am looking into careers and things to get into that will provide me with a solid income to then turn around and use for real estate investing. My problem now what career or path to take to accomplish this.

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Michael Guzik:

    @Alexander Felice The truth hurts thanks for the input! I'm definitely strongly considering an older car after reading all these comments.

     It does hurt, and it doesn't hurt less as you get older LOL

    Look, you're young, you're going to watch all your friends make terrible financial decisions that will plague them for decades to come. Nearly everyone you know is going to live week-to-week for their entire lives. As they say in the army "Do the hard right, over the easy wrong"

    Living with a dumpy car is a hard sacrifice, but it's the right financial move.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 362 votes
    8y

    @Alexander Felice Darn I thought it wouldn't hurt anymore after I'm an adult lol!! You are 200% right I already see my old friends and classmates doing stuff like that. Thanks for the laugh and the advice!

  • Providence, RI · Member since 2017 · 62 posts · 17 votes
    8y
    Here’s my naive 22 year old take buttt I would say buy whichever asset flows the most cash. Is your car going to enable you at add more value o your month than 450 dollars? I don’t know how you utilize your vehicle. Will your new home provide you with positive cash flow? Renting? There are obviously risks associated with both sooo hmmmm... Tom
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    @Michael Guzik  Do you REALLY want to save money  for real estate ?  I mean lots of it ? 

    Stay away from the females , they are more expensive than ANY car or truck . 

  • Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 22 votes
    8y
    I say buy the house
  • Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 209 posts · 126 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:

    @Michael Guzik  Do you REALLY want to save money  for real estate ?  I mean lots of it ? 

    Stay away from the females , they are more expensive than ANY car or truck . 

    I think you are dating the wrong kinda women.

    Joking aside, I agree with the others about not taking over the lease.  $450/month is a lot.  If you need to build credit, get a credit card and make sure that you pay it off every month.  

    New cars or worse scams like JD Byrider (Seriously stay as far away from those kinda dealers as possible!) are one of the things that financially cripple young people more than anything else.  My used car is about to turn 10, sure I spend money on it here and there, but now I know it well enough that I can buy a replacement part and save $200 if I do something myself, and I am no mechanic.

  • Investor · CHESAPEAKE, VA · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Mike, listen to Caleb. Your 19. What about college or a career in the military? Forget the car and real estate for now. Join the US Military (Enlisted or Officer). Apply for a job rating that has something to do with what you want to do after your service. You can get a free education while on active duty, and you will qualify for the Post 911 GI bill if you decide to go to school after the completion of your service. Invest in a nice car you intend to keep for at least 15 years or 200k miles or more and have it paid off before getting out the service. You will have your military connections, your travel experience, money for college, reliable paid off transportation, and the pride and benefits that come with serving your country. Basically, invest in yourself in multiple areas other than just chasing real estate. At 19 you never know, your true love of profession might be in a different field all together. Grow yourself and learn more about yourself in the process. 

    Best regards,

    Steve

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 362 votes
    8y

    @Tom Conant That is a great point thanks for the perspective! It will definitely be a safe and comfortable ride and will give me money through that but it will not cash flow like the house would. However if I were to House hack and find a great deal the house wouldn't really cash flow exactly I would just be living rent free. It is really hard to find one that would kill both of those birds with one stone!

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 362 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:

    @Michael Guzik  Do you REALLY want to save money  for real estate ?  I mean lots of it ? 

    Stay away from the females , they are more expensive than ANY car or truck . 

    Haha you aren't lying though most of them are!

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 362 votes
    8y

    @Jarrod Kohl You are 100% right man it is really sad how many people there are out there that take advantage of others. I'm definitely starting to lean towards the used car after you guys input. Thank you for the advice!

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 362 votes
    8y

    @Steve Crisp Thanks for the different perspective Steve! I have honestly really never considered the military as an option.... I just really am ignorant and naive to what I would do or apply for in there. I am definitely in great physical shape because I always work out so I think I would fit in!

  • Real Estate Agent · Owatonna, MN · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 37 votes
    8y
    Hey Michael, I think you get the idea. Plus I know the house hack will give you WAY more satisfaction and pride. Looks like your going to do well with your life!
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y

    @Michael Guzik people with lower credit scores than that can get first time home buyer, so I wouldn't worry so much about your credit score. Don't buy your dads car for $9000. Find a used car for $4000. Buy something very common like a Camery, so the parts are easy to get and it is easy to repair. Four doors and boring helps with the insurance cost too.

    Great approach working for a property management company. Pay isn't great at $25K, but you can learn a ton and move up the ladder. Then transition into your own properties and business over time.

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Michael Guzik 450 a month is a lot. I have never had a car payment and never will. I’ve also only paid over $550 for rent for one year of my life. Save money and househack first, then you can save up and buy a car cash. Starting to use debt to buy liabilities is a slippery slope...
  • Investor · Kent, WA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 20 votes
    8y
    Mi Michael, First off bravo for thinking this way at 19, Unfortunately it’s very rare. I know you said you have a good score but if there’s no depth to your credit the score doesn’t mean much to lenders. Most of the time lenders are going to want to see 3 pieces of credit and one of those installment credit, like a car loan. $450 a month seems like a big payment based on your income, and if you make your dads payments it won’t do anything to build your own credit. Have you thought about finding a 3-4 year old Kia or something you can get for under 10k and build your credit on a $200 payment? Keep up the good work and either way you go save as much as you can. You’ll be a Property guru soon enough! Ben
  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Buy a secured credit card for $500 or open one and pay it off each month to build credit. You don’t need a car to build credit, just a credit card with your Netflix bill on it.
  • Rental Property Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 14 votes
    8y
    Looks like most people are advocating to get a reasonably priced car at 4K. Generally I agree to get a low price car you can afford but to play devils advocate and to give you food for thought it doesn’t make any sense to go buy another beater car that will need a repair every 3 weeks and will continue to nickel and dime you. It might make more sense to pay a little more for a car and not have to worry about repairs. Recuperate money in other areas. Move back in with the parents if applicable. Get a side job or higher paying job.
  • Jupiter, FL · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Michael,

    Firstly, you deserve a lot of credit for smartly thinking so far forward with your interest in real estate. I just turned thirty and am essentially in the same place as yourself in terms of deciding to invest. I wish I had an 11 year head start!

    I have several things to add:

    Hold off on the car, 450 is manageable but houses don’t nickel and dime you, they fifty and hundred you so to speak. If possible find a cheap grandpa car or truck, they are usually babied and meticulously maintained. It may not be sexy but it will get you down the road for a while. I have an old Prius and while it is bland and slow and totally uncool it will haul a good amount of stuff efficiently. This matters because you will do a lot of driving while finding then fixing your investment.

    Regarding the military, I am currently Air Force reserve and also spent 4 years active. You will have many great benefits from serving, including a va mortgage, reliable paycheck and excellent health insurance. Additionally the friends you make are the best people you’ll ever know! It will be hard to invest while on active duty, 12 hour plus shifts are the norm and you may move around often or be tdy constantly. 

    I chose to be a jet mechanic when I joined at 19 and that job has provided me with the ability to have a good life both military and civilian.

    I suggest focusing on real estate for now, see if you’re ready for the analysis and negotiating. The military is a big party so waiting to be 21 may be advantageous.

    Either way, you’re doing the smart thing by asking and reading and responding! Good luck!

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    8y

    Think like an investor...not a home owner.

    Homeowner mentality will tell you to take what you have and live within your means.  Investor mentality will tell you to take what you have and expand your means, and within that expansion will be the money to pay for the same things you would have spent money on if you thought like a homeowner.

    1 - Use your current means to buy a rental property to expand your means

    2 - Use the cash flow (expanded means) to buy the car

    3 - Let the Tenant buy your rental for you...and the car.

    4 - When the car is paid off, you still have that expanded means available for other bills or investment (more expanded means)

    5 - When the tenant pays off your property, you have more cash flow (expanded means again)

    If you spend the money on a car, it is a one time use.  Spend it and it's gone.

    If you use the money for the rental property, it comes back to you...over and over again.

    Think like an investor...not a home owner.

  • Real Estate Agent/Property Management · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 827 votes
    8y

    LOL This reminds of the old saying that you can sleep in your car but you can't drive a house.

  • Hockley, TX · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Just an aside, but are you driving a Samurai?
  • Investor · Ridgecrest, CA · Member since 2017 · 246 posts · 120 votes
    8y

    I never buy a car I cannot pay cash for.  I paid $150 for my first car but a battery in it and drove it for 3 years. It didn't get me any chicks but I was able to save up for nicer cars because I didn't have payments. This year I paid $11k cash for a fully loaded car that had less than 30k miles on it. I also bought my first rental property this year after saving for only 8 months.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.