A fraud story in our first BRRRR!

60 Replies

Originally posted by @Jim K. :

@Alexandra Chaploutskiy

Hi Alexandra, I once had a real estate agent I gave a key to for showings move an illegal migrant worker of his into one of my properties.

This was, thankfully, not in this country.

Jim, that's pretty crazy! I wouldn't expect this kind of thing from a real estate agent, aren't they risking losing their license for such action?

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Nathan G. :

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional, try hiring an amateur.

I would have walked when he didn't have any forms. 

His license could be verified by calling the City or checking their web site. I'm in a town of 9,000 in Wyoming and can find every licensed individual in the City or county, along with their contact information.

Never hand over keys until all requirements are met.

I also wouldn't accept the building inspectors recognition as verification of licensing. It could be they knew each other from school or that the building inspector recognized him from other scams.

Thanks for sharing so others can avoid making the same mistake.

I mentioned it above.. but for us it quite simple procedure.

1.  my office first checks with the contractors board that takes all of 3 to 4 minutes.. you can see licenses active or not.. and also all the complaints filed against that license or individual.

2. copy of insurance.. then a call to said insurance broker to see if its actually current and when it expires.. this goes into our builders software as a auto notification item.  IE we get a auto notice 30 days out of insurance expiring.

What we find though in this part of the business.  Is many many of these guys are not licensed especially in some states. and really the only ones that are    are plumber and electrician.  other trades don't need it or just don't get it. 

Originally posted by @Alexandra Chaploutskiy :
Originally posted by @Jim K.:

@Alexandra Chaploutskiy

Hi Alexandra, I once had a real estate agent I gave a key to for showings move an illegal migrant worker of his into one of my properties.

This was, thankfully, not in this country.

Jim, that's pretty crazy! I wouldn't expect this kind of thing from a real estate agent, aren't they risking losing their license for such action?

Yes, in decent places but at the time I wasn't in a decent place. I was in Athens, Greece in 2006, at the height of the general acceptance of corruption at all levels of society that would turn the country into a debt colony a few years later.

I would add ask for a current drivers license as part of your due diligence before hiring. I had an issue with a sub contractor whose name did match that of a licensed contractor with a nice website, lots of great reviews etc.. however it turned out to be a family member's license and my guy had no credentials and was working under their name unbeknownst to them. I made the mistake of hiring him without seeing his license, he had a good excuse for not having it on him, I was in a bind, and he references were more than happy to talk about how awesome he was. It was a big mistake, which ended up being a costly one. Lesson learned! 

The drivers license is also a small preventative measure against theft, fraud etc...

You meet the phony contractor who showed you a house or met someone who claimed he was a contractor with no proof he was?  Both require licenses to show or give quotes.

Throughout your encounter I spotted 3 or 4 redflags.  Check out their background. On Contractors we always use referral and have them checked out. Some are not what you think and that is the way the business operates.

I know there are some good ones out there , but I’ve had better luck with unlicensed handymen doing my work than licensed insured “ professional “ contractors . Maybe it’s my dumb luck but it seems like every time I get screwed it’s by one of the pros . In this business I’d rather have good referrals from other other local investors than positive online reviews and all the right paperwork .

@Alexandra Chaploutskiy I’m in jc... yeah the scam artist are out there. There is a guy that I see all the time doing work and he had took two different neighbors down the street from my rental property for a ride. Every time I see him I point him out to others. He does concrete work and does the bait and switch. Sell the job for x and does y. If you want x that will be more money. If they don’t pay more he does y and moves on. I wish it was legal to shoot these people... non productive part of society...

@Jonathan Greer That is GREAT advise.  Start with a small job and a carrot for more later.  If you're new to the business don't just give anyone the whole house to do without checking references.  Your only as good as the last job, I was told early on.  References, references, references.

Jeez, "Mike" put some serious effort into this scam. Glad you didn't give him a deposit etc. Honestly, as much respect as I have for good contractors and tradespeople, finding a good one in this business is not easy. It can be done, but for sure it takes time and effort. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here