Limitless vs Morris invest

94 Replies

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :
Originally posted by @David Goddard:

I wonder if Morris Invest ever considered that their investors would actually get on a plane and fly to Indiana in order to view their properties. Wrongdoing and unethical business practices can only stay hidden for so long.

sunshine is a strong disinfectant.. and the sun has been shinned on these companies.. 

the concept while rudimentary..  is not based in fact.. low end 

C class renters are not doctors and nurses by and large are not just happy to have a home.. are not passive and easy to manage

his whole pitch is just fantasy land to lull the beginner investors into thinking your doing some great deed.. and making money while you do it .. to find your freedom number.. its all a big bunch of sales BS .. and he is very good at it.. obviously with Hundreds defrauded.

It's really disappointing when you consider that turnkey as an option for a couple who has never invested before would help alleviate quite a bit of anxiety - and still be positive cash flow each month. As our very first asset, that seemed like a good way to get started with real estate investing.

What really bothers me is Clayton and Natali Morris both are very likable in their videos. Their down to earth approach to the way they share information makes it very easy to feel at ease about the possibility of working with them. When you see their mannerisms and perceived sincerity, you would think they would want to defend their name, integrity, and reputation. 

Is it possible that everything that has transpired - with regards to the many investors who were defrauded - has been exclusively Oceanpointe's fault? While I haven't dug too deeply, I have read enough to see that they (OP) lost their license(s) at one point in time. I'm not sure if they are still in business or not, but it seems MI partnered with a questionable PM company from the get-go.

I'm not necessarily defending MI in the least. Innocent or not, just the sheer amount of negativity surrounding their business has compelled my wife and me to redirect our efforts with our first asset. We may even opt to begin investing right in our own backyard. We'll see, though.

@David Goddard   very simply if you go into a market with these metrics any market Is good.

1. establish the median sale price for the MSA

2. buy within 20% of the top of the median.

if you buy morris stuff is the very bottom.. common sense should dictate that the cheapest bottom priced units are going to have the poorest renters.. poor renters god bless them but they are very unstable and you as landlord get sucked into their drama and unstable life cycle.. which is non pay and destruction of your rental over a short period of time. Crime is higher and schools are the worse.. we all know real estate is priced by quality schools good schools higher prices and more stable tenants.. to me its simply common sense.

Morris Knew what was going on absolutely I know for a fact.  I work indy a lot.. and talk to many who were doing and feeding him deals. even those guys quit working with him.. bad actor's they are.. Plain and simple

basic real estate tenants' apply here.. School Crime and low income. or higher income. whats better.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

@David Goddard  very simply if you go into a market with these metrics any market Is good.

1. establish the median sale price for the MSA

2. buy within 20% of the top of the median.

if you buy morris stuff is the very bottom.. common sense should dictate that the cheapest bottom priced units are going to have the poorest renters.. poor renters god bless them but they are very unstable and you as landlord get sucked into their drama and unstable life cycle.. which is non pay and destruction of your rental over a short period of time. Crime is higher and schools are the worse.. we all know real estate is priced by quality schools good schools higher prices and more stable tenants.. to me its simply common sense.

Morris Knew what was going on absolutely I know for a fact.  I work indy a lot.. and talk to many who were doing and feeding him deals. even those guys quit working with him.. bad actor's they are.. Plain and simple

basic real estate tenants' apply here.. School Crime and low income. or higher income. whats better.

Yeah, the entire situation is crazy. I've seen a blog update on their site regarding a complaint against Oceanpointe with the AG for Indiana but the entire thing is just unfortunate.

But thanks for the information and data. I appreciate it.

Originally posted by @Todd Burton :

@David Goddard

"Is it possible that everything that has transpired - with regards to the many investors who were defrauded - has been exclusively Oceanpointe's fault?" 

My experience is 100% absolutely not. I'm not the only one who thinks this. Check this out...

IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF INDIANA INDIANAPOLIS DIVISION

Case No. 1:18-cv-02797-WTL-DML

Oh, wow...

Well, there it is. I was wondering what kind of legal goings-on was happening behind the scenes.

Thanks for posting that information.

@Jamil Rivera

Hi Jamil! My name is Magnus from Sweden.

I have 12 turnkey houses in Detroit bought from Strategy Propertys in Detroit. I have made between 10-14% ROI on these propertys 2018.

I been there for 2 years.

I had some evictions but no nightmare so far.

They took very good care of it.

Contact Al to buy and ask for Autumn as PM and i think you are in good hands.

I have all my life savings in Real Estate in USA.

I have a tyre business in Sweden.

I have to manage it with employes 8 to 17.

I can live with one problem or two with out of country investing. Compared to change winter tyres on 1400 cars each season.

Magnus

Originally posted by @Magnus Göransson :

@Jamil Rivera

Hi Jamil! My name is Magnus from Sweden.

I have 12 turnkey houses in Detroit bought from Strategy Propertys in Detroit. I have made between 10-14% ROI on these propertys 2018.

I been there for 2 years.

I had some evictions but no nightmare so far.

They took very good care of it.

Contact Al to buy and ask for Autumn as PM and i think you are in good hands.

I have all my life savings in Real Estate in USA.

I have a tyre business in Sweden.

I have to manage it with employes 8 to 17.

I can live with one problem or two with out of country investing. Compared to change winter tyres on 1400 cars each season.

Magnus

Nice resume, Magnus. That's pretty awesome.

Was it difficult getting mortgages for those properties while residing overseas? 

@David Goddard

"Is it possible that everything that has transpired - with regards to the many investors who were defrauded - has been exclusively Oceanpointe's fault?" 

My experience is 100% absolutely not. I'm not the only one who thinks this. Check this out...

IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF INDIANA INDIANAPOLIS DIVISION

Thanks for sharing this - something I wanted to note was at the end of the document the purchase agreement is for improved property when they said they were going to build on it meaning it was currently not improved? As a buyer how is that not a giant red flag? 

@David Goddard

OMG. Scumbags for real. I was hearing a bunch of complaints about Morris but thats crazy.

@David Goddard

and for all of those folks that are paranoid of being sued you can see through this complaint that no manner of LLC or trust or what have you will save you if you have done something like this.. they sue you personally end of story.. Chapter 7 will be the next step for Morris but you cant wipe out fraud claims in BK.. he is in for a world of hurt legally speaking.. I hope he enjoyed the millions he made or was as alleged misappropriated.

@David Goddard

I am surprised that they did not mention selling real estate without a license.. !!! 

And this is the tip of the iceberg I am sure the AG is looking at this criminally and you are talking about securities violations as well.  Morris has to be one nervous puppy.

Originally posted by @David Moudy :
Originally posted by @Todd Burton:

@David Goddard

Thanks for sharing this - something I wanted to note was at the end of the document the purchase agreement is for improved property when they said they were going to build on it meaning it was currently not improved? As a buyer how is that not a giant red flag? 

some folks paid cash to build a new construction and ended up with a 1k valued lot and some footers that they paid 75k in cash for.  Money gone.

@John Casmon

Thanks for the feed back appreciate it. I would like to know how you got started and if you have anything in the Chicagoland area?

@David Goddard

Thanks David!

I did not get any loan in the US, just because I am not a US resident.

I don't think I can as a non resident alien.

I bought for profits from my tyre shop in Sweden since 2006.

I was luckily started in Las Vegas 2015, after that the prices exploded, this year I did 1031 exchanges

with 4 of my condos in Vegas, and start to buy in Detroit in early 2017. And that's why I have experience of

Strategy Propertys.

Magnus

@David Moudy

Morris & Oceanpointe were buying vacant city lots for a few hundred dollars ($450 was the number I saw a few times) and selling them for ~$68,500. The investor makes the purchase with cash and the transaction is closed and reported by the title company to the State of Indiana as an improved property. There are no contracts for this future construction. The investor gets nothing more than a promise from Morris Invest to build a house. According to multiple conversations between the investors and the builder, The Waire Group, the builder was commissioned to build ~200 of these “New Construction” investment homes. Also, according to these same investors, the builder is saying he is no longer receiving payments and all work has stopped. We have seen a couple dozen of these properties and they range from an overgrown, trash-filled vacant lot to the foundations being dug or started to ~70% completed. The majority are on the lesser end of completion. Some investors paid for these many months ago. Based on the numbers we’ve been presented, Morris and Oceanpointe have pocketed ~$14,000,000 less what appears to be a nominal amount to the builder. 

Here are a couple pictures of a new construction home (lot) that was purchased/closed 10/31/17 and these pictures were taken by me 4/17/18

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3

PS...another lawsuit against Oceanpointe & Bert Whalen. Goes to jury trial 7/23/19.

@David Moudy

Morris & Oceanpointe were buying vacant city lots for a few hundred dollars ($450 was the number I saw a few times) and selling them for ~$68,500. The investor makes the purchase with cash and the transaction is closed and reported by the title company to the State of Indiana as an improved property. There are no contracts for this future construction. The investor gets nothing more than a promise from Morris Invest to build a house. According to multiple conversations between the investors and the builder, The Waire Group, the builder was commissioned to build ~200 of these “New Construction” investment homes. Also, according to these same investors, the builder is saying he is no longer receiving payments and all work has stopped. We have seen a couple dozen of these properties and they range from an overgrown, trash-filled vacant lot to the foundations being dug or started to ~70% completed. The majority are on the lesser end of completion. Some investors paid for these many months ago. Based on the numbers we’ve been presented, Morris and Oceanpointe have pocketed ~$14,000,000 less what appears to be a nominal amount to the builder. 

Here are a couple pictures of a new construction home (lot) that was purchased/closed 10/31/17 and these pictures were taken by me 4/17/18

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3

PS...another lawsuit against Oceanpointe & Bert Whalen. Goes to jury trial 7/23/19.

with that kind of dough  I am surprised they did not relocate to Brazil.  

@Jay Hinrichs

I just had a call with Morris Invest because... why not ? I had an appointment with them !

Larry called me and he was telling me about cashflow and how people pull money out of their 401k/IRA to buy their products.

They still sell unfinished properties and leave the customers after they get their money. How does this company call themselves a turnkey company ?

Larry said he will send me a list of B class neighborhoods so we will see what I get !

Oh and when I mentioned all the negative reviews about Morris Investment, his attitude changed very fast and almost threatened to end the call. "If you dont want to work with us that's fine"

Interesting so far.

@David Noh

Sounds like a fun call! What market(s) are they selling in? If they send you a list of properties it would be great if you could post it or send that to me. I would forward it on to the investigators that have been communicating with us for the last few months.

@David Moudy

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3

This is just unreal. $500 lots selling for $68,000. If that isn't a clever (albeit heinously crooked) business model I don't know what is.

Those pictures are from C-Class areas? Or I guess at this point it really doesn't matter given the gravity of the wrong-doings.

Sometimes really good people get scammed by employers....they join the business for the same reason that these buyers do business with the company....they buy the sales pitch. Then after working there for awhile they get their eyes opened that they aren't working for who they though they were working for....they realize its a scam and don't want to have anything to do with it anymore and bail....

And others are part of the scam from the start.....are scumbags just like their employer...and they feel the heat coming or decide they want to run their own scam and start a new business....or are part of the "transition" of shifting the old company to a new name and running the same scam....

So how are you going to decide which one this guy is? Not easy to do....time will tell.......are you willing to take that risk or just go with someone that has a true proven track record already? Your choice....

@Jamil Rivera I'll send you a PM, but in short, I started with a duplex and slowly scaled until I felt confident to work with other investors on larger deals. I don't own much in Chicago for a few reasons, but the city has it's own share of challenges with turnkey operators. @Jay Hinrichs and @Brie Schmidt had a platform called Turnkey Reviews that many found helpful when looking at operators if you want to pursue that route. 

Okay, so I have a quick question:

Many successful real estate investors (not just Morris Invest) advocate for purchasing properties with an LLC for legal protection reasons. With MI though, they specifically state that they limit each of their LLC's to a maximum of $150,000 worth of properties (3 or so rentals if you consider the price points they generally buy at).

So my question is if they are successfully held financially liable for the lawsuit posted on the first page, can their liability only be for the maximum of one of their LLC's or are those legal asset protections void when it comes to fraud and other allegations posted within the lawsuit?

Thanks for the responses.

@David Moudy

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3

😱😱😱 If these accusations are true how is it that Clayton Morris is still out there practicing & promoting his business? How has a cease & desist not been issued?

Originally posted by @James Wise

😱😱😱 If these accusations are true how is it that Clayton Morris is still out there practicing & promoting his business? How has a cease & desist not been issued?

That's a great question. I've ask that exact same question several times to multiple legal, regulatory and city organizations. Yet, it does continue. Heck, I even sent this message to the same multiple entities, just back on Dec 27th, regarding Morris with a link to the online article

"Someone has to do something to stop this guy. He's back on NATIONAL TELEVISION (Fox & Friends 12/18/18) promoting himself and his products/services." 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here