Votes
James Seed
  • Cleveland
Votes |
House Hack Question

James Seed
  • Cleveland
Posted Oct 3 2019, 07:07

I bought a SFH at the beginning of this year with a conventional 5% down loan. I have to stay in it for 12 months.

I'd like to move into a duplex or triplex instead to keep my personal space and keep the SFH as soon as possible or by the end of next year.

Would I be able get another conventional loan where I'd be able to stay in the duplex/triplex and keep my SFH to rent.

Would I have to replace the conventional loan to qualify for another conventional owner-occupied?

I would be grateful for any advice on the transition.

User Stats

Votes
Tom Shallcross
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago
Replied Oct 3 2019, 07:36

Hi @James Seed, one point of clarification is conventional loans and government-backed loans are two separate options.

Yes, if you are moving and you do intend to have the duplex/triplex be your primary place of residence, you will qualify for both conventional financing and government-agency (FHA, VA). I think that's your main question, but also note that you can have conventional financing on a 2nd home, vacation home, rental....etc.

Talk to your lender and there's a bunch of articles explaining your options at a high-level: https://www.refiguide.org/guide-to-financing-a-second-home-in-todays-market/

User Stats

Votes
James Seed
  • Cleveland
Votes |
  • Cleveland
Replied Oct 3 2019, 08:07

@Tom Shallcross Thank you very much!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes