Listing agent not responding to my Realitor

18 Replies

My Realitor has been trying to set up a showing for a duplex in Dallas but the listing agent will not respond and just recently they cancelled showings. I suggested we reach out to seller directly although my Realitor responded it is considered unethical. Is it unethical for me to contact seller or just the Realitor? I am pretty sure it has not gone under contract and it is still active on mls. Any advice?

Good question. I called on a property, realtor never called me back. I considered looking up the owner's info and trying to get a hold of them. I will be curious to see what some pros have to say.

@Jeffrey McKee  It is unethical for a Realtor to contact the owner directly. However, it is not illegal for you to research on your OWN who the seller is and contact them directly.

I have had this happen before as well. I have had active, interested buyers who are unable to view a property because the listing agent was a flake. I will flat out tell the buyer that it is up to them how THEY decide to act on the property, and in the meantime continue to show them other suitable properties. Unsurprisingly, all attempts my buyers have made to connect with sellers individually has failed once the listing agent became involved.

Agents don't like to look bad, even if they are flakes. A listing agent has already built up a relationship with the sellers as a trustworthy person; so much so that they are entrusting that person with perhaps their biggest asset. While a successful deal can be had, I have never failed to find a more suitable property for my clients in the length of time it takes the listing agent to respond.

Frankly, dealing with deadbeat agents is a waste of time.

I wish you success in finding the property that is right for you!

Why doesn't your realtor go to the listing agent's office and say I like to talk to the agent who has this property listed and say out loud I have a buyer, but you never return my call, and most agents don't like to be called out in front of their broker or friends?

Joe Gore

@Jeffrey McKee  My guess is that the listing agent is dealing with a favored buyer who has made an offer already. If you put in a higher offer, they will be required to pass it on to the seller. But, if they are too busy and don't notice your messages until it is too late ....

Been there, done that. Seen it happen all too many times. Especially when the listing agent is able to get both sides of the deal because the offer is put directly to them.

@Walt Payne  I've encountered that as well, when I was purchasing my primary residence. 

@Jeffrey McKee If I were you, I would contact the agent's broker directly.  And, I would pursue attempting to reach the property owner.  You can do whatever you want in regards to contacting the owner, even though your agent can't, since they are represented by a Seller's Agent.

Good luck!

Agreed, most likely the listing agent is already double ending the deal, and wants to avoid getting any other offers so they can keep the buyer's commission for themself.

What is wrong with double ending the deal investors are out to grab ever penny they can?

Joe Gore

@Joe Gore  There is nothing wrong with it ... until there is. When they intentionally avoid potential offers at the expense of the seller, they are essentially stealing from the seller to benefit themselves. That is when it becomes wrong.

@Jeffrey McKee 

You might want to read up on tortious interference.  The owner has contractually agreed to have the broker represent him.  Why would you presume to interfere with that?  Piss off the wrong broker and you could be in a world of hurt.  You and your agent may be exactly the person the owner does not want to deal with.  Maybe your agent has a reputation of making ridiculous offers and never closing deals wasting everyone's  time. 

Your business is with the broker.  If the broker does not want to deal with you move on.  Too many people think their real estate investor "business" allows them to behave badly. IMHO

Contact seller directly. I would even send in the offer directly to the seller and ask that they forward it to the listing agent for their review and explain why the need to reach out directly; that agent shouldn't have that listing

@Joe Gore I made the suggestion that he speak to the broker. I understand now that the realtor cannot go to the seller directly, but I can. When I find a deal with numbers that work and a property that meet my criteria I will not hesitate to contact broker and/or seller myself. That is of course if the agent has been contacted and is not responding to my agent. This duplex was only a 1bedroom 1bath per side and I have refined my criteria to at least a 2 bedroom 1 bath.
@Hatti Dizmond. If the seller was not being represented my agent could still reach out to them correct?
@Bob Bowling Thanks for the suggestion about tortious interference. I will keep that in mind regarding contractual relationships and interruptions of business.

Jeffrey McKee - if the deal is that good, just make an offer with a 10 day due diligence period. You'll get to view the property during your inspection. By law they have to present the offer. Ethically they have to allow showings but could easily make up excuses as to why it can't be shown, bad tenant etc.

Since you posted this under the REO forum, we have to assume the seller is a bank or some lending institution. So you probably won't get very far in trying to contact the seller, because knowing which person at the bank actually is a decision maker on this property is not going to be easy to uncover.

Once you understand that in residential real estate the agent attrition rate the first year is about 85 to 90%.

So this means out of all licensed new agent at least 8 out of 10 won't survive the first year.

So it is common in residential to come across all kinds of agents that do crazy stuff and do not care. All they care about is surviving and cashing that commission check.

We get them in commercial just not as much. 

@Jeffrey McKee You have nothing to loose trying to contact the seller directly. Not saying it will work but theres really no downside in trying

I suggest your agent try to contact the listing agent via TEXT MESSAGE and Email .. if that doesnt work FAX it ..  they'll get the message!

Originally posted by @Jeffrey McKee:

My Realitor has been trying to set up a showing for a duplex in Dallas but the listing agent will not respond and just recently they cancelled showings. I suggested we reach out to seller directly although my Realitor responded it is considered unethical. Is it unethical for me to contact seller or just the Realitor? I am pretty sure it has not gone under contract and it is still active on mls. Any advice?

Interested in the outcome 30 days later.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here