Skip to content
Foreclosures

User Stats

Votes

REO Properity with Non-Functioning Utilities

Posted Aug 2 2020, 08:50

Hello,

My offer for my first REO property was accepted but I'm running into issues with the utilities. Normally, utilities would be turned on in my name for the inspection but I don't see how it can be in this case. The house's electric meter was taken back by the utility company because the house has been vacant for over a year. The bank's realtor smelled gas during a previous visit and notified the gas company; I do not know if the leak was outside the house and fixed or inside the house and simply turned off. My realtor noticed that a pipe on the water tank was disconnected on one end and said that the house would flood because of it if the water was turned on (the house has also been winterized). It seems to me that the utilities are unable to be turned on at this point therefore making a meaningful housing inspection impossible along with any chance of me renegotiating the purchase price with the bank or getting an accurate repair estimate for my renovation loan. Are there any work arounds or standard practices for this kind of situation that I am unaware of? The house is just under 1,000 SF on a slab with one bath, kitchen sink, and washer/dryer (no utility sink) if that makes a difference.

Thanks!