Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Stacie Wells
Votes |
Va loan experts - Need advice

Stacie Wells
Posted Jan 19 2021, 04:47

Newbie here. Need help with getting started in investment properties using VA loans. My wife and I currently have one rental property in Fort Worth. It was was a primary residence we converted to a rental when we moved to San Antonio. Its on a traditional loan. Not VA. Good equity. Some cash flow. We are one year into a two year lease with tenants.

We bought our current house in SA using my wife's VA loan about three years ago. The house has appreciated nicely but numbers don't look like it will be much cash flow if we tried to rent it out. Maybe even just break even.

Question is, how can we use VA loan to our advantage. We are in process of refinancing with rate reduction loan. Looks like if we do refinance we can use remaining VA benefit to purchase another property and rent this one.

We are thinking about using VA loan to house hack a multi unit (up to 4 units on a VA loan from what we have read) Not sure if we should just sell current house and focus elsewhere. If so no point in paying refinancing costs. If we do refi we will go from 4.25 to 2.25 percent. Hard to pass up on that interest rate. House is appreciating. Maybe wont cash flow now but considering good interest rate and appreciation is it worth holding onto for now and see where it goes?

We are more focused on building long term investment portfolio than current cash flow.  If we sell might get around 30 thousand back from equity after cost of selling. 

Also considering what a pain it would be to coordinate selling one house and trying to purchase another at the same time. Cant use VA loan on next property till we refinance or sell this one. So there would be a period of limbo if we sell. If we refi this will count against debt to income. Dont want to pay closing costs to refi if the numbers say sell.

So thoughts on strategy?  I know there is a way forward.

Much appreciated. 

Loading replies...