HUD homestore insanity?! Why are they so erratic in acceptance!?

3 Replies

So I have been bidding very aggressively on HUDhomestore.com for the last 6 months with nothing... nada... zilch. I have been vigorously valuing properties that I find listed lower than they are worth and bidding in the 80-88 percent range off list price, even on properties listed for over 3 months. I have not received acceptance on anything. Now, what is really T'ing me off, is there is another Investor in my area who is getting these properties at 72-73% of list! What!? And what really made me slam my laptop this morning, was a very nice 3/2 listed for only 1 month that he won at 72% after ONE MONTH!? HOW!!?? What the heck am I doing wrong? Granted I did not get the chance to bid on that particular property (slipped under my radar) I have been very aggressive borderline INSANE when making my bids as of late. Any tips from the seasoned HUD guys?

Mike,

Do not get discouraged...keep bidding. I recently got one at 78% and sold it in 48 hours. You have to make sure your net to HUD is at the correct percentage. You can test the waters at 81% net to HUD. Once you start getting counter offers, then decide on if you want to proceed..but don't stop bidding. I like the higher priced homes as the spread is easier to make $8000 or more on your wholesale resell, if that's your strategy. You have to constantly monitor the area of interest and the properties daily. I submit at least 10 bids a week. You are testing the waters of HUD'S acceptance %. The lower priced homes are a little more difficult, and yield a lower spread. You have to remember, the initial listed HUD will go at 88% net to HUD generally. Here in CA, it may be 90% net, but at a $400K price range $5000 is a still a good profit if you resell it at $365,000, especially for no work on the home. However it can be done. Hang in there.

We never get them more than 50-54% of the list price.

There are a few details that help get offers accepted.

Are you getting countered?

I checked this out and looks interesting. What is HUD Store and can this be used to get properties at a discount ? Would love to get more information on this. Would be looking for flips or longer term holds.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here