Realtor for Investment Properties

Realtor for Investment Properties

Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 3 votes

Hello all! I've currently been a realtor for a little over a year now while also trying to finish school. It's been hard since I've been in school full time. I've only sold two houses and have had other clients that just didn't work out. I've tried figuring out what type of real estate I want to work in, but with where I'm located and being in school full time it's been very difficult. Thankfully I'm graduating this year and will be able to really put my full time into Real Estate. 

Before I had my license, I worked in property management managing a little over 350 units (that's what got me into real estate). Since then, I've really been interested in multi-family and investment properties. For the past 3 and a half years, I've been learning how to do basic math, modeling, and forecasting for investment properties and I absolutely love it. I hope to invest in real estate when I'm able to. For right now, I've decided to really try and focus on helping investors acquire properties. I'm really just looking for advice or tips on how I can find or meet some investors that would let me work with them. I'm not looking for a free lead, more just some advice that can help me work my way to figuring out the investing world so that I can help others. 

1Reply
133 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Miami FL, USA · Member since 2024 · 19 posts · 10 votes
11mo

Two closed deals isn't bad for your first year. Most realtors don't survive the first 6 months. You're trying to survive the most unaffordable time to buy a house.

Hold yourself accountable and make as many genuine contacts as possible. From my experience, your SOI will gain you the most $ over time. Know your area and know what's going on in the economy. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Miami FL, USA · Member since 2024 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    11mo

    Two closed deals isn't bad for your first year. Most realtors don't survive the first 6 months. You're trying to survive the most unaffordable time to buy a house.

    Hold yourself accountable and make as many genuine contacts as possible. From my experience, your SOI will gain you the most $ over time. Know your area and know what's going on in the economy. 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    11mo

    @Alexander Stag what are you doing to market yourself?

    Here's some ideas:

    1) Post about what you are doing on social media, the more channels the better!
    - What to post?
    --- Deal analysis
    --- Who you're looking to work with (be VERY specific, NOT scattered! You can change focus every post)
    --- Recent interactions (no names), what went right, wrong and what can be done better
    --- stories, stories stories! Note: they don't have to be YOUR stories, just don't take credit.

    2) Go to local investor meetups. Ask a LOT of open-ended questions:)

    3) Search MLS/PRD for cash transactions and reach out to buyers/sellers (w/o violating real estate board rules). One or both are highly likely to be an investor.

    4) Research and post about local market conditions important to investors. Will force you to increase your knowledge and should attract investors.

    5) Network with other agents that don't want to work with investors, but encounter them. Offer LESS than 25% standard referal fee as investors require MORE work!

    6) Network with local PMCs and work out a referral fee that goes both ways. They refer you buyers/sellers, you refer them investors looking for a PMC. Just be sure to understand THEIR performance, good or bad (but usally bad), will refelect on YOU:(

    Create a blog where you post all of the above

  • New to Real Estate · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2025 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11mo

    Willie Russell, I do Hvac in Nola and surrounding areas. I service with hvac contact me. I getting started in realestate. It there anything I can do to assist you to sell and buy realestate? 

  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Alexander Stag:

    Hello all! I've currently been a realtor for a little over a year now while also trying to finish school. It's been hard since I've been in school full time. I've only sold two houses and have had other clients that just didn't work out. I've tried figuring out what type of real estate I want to work in, but with where I'm located and being in school full time it's been very difficult. Thankfully I'm graduating this year and will be able to really put my full time into Real Estate. 

    Before I had my license, I worked in property management managing a little over 350 units (that's what got me into real estate). Since then, I've really been interested in multi-family and investment properties. For the past 3 and a half years, I've been learning how to do basic math, modeling, and forecasting for investment properties and I absolutely love it. I hope to invest in real estate when I'm able to. For right now, I've decided to really try and focus on helping investors acquire properties. I'm really just looking for advice or tips on how I can find or meet some investors that would let me work with them. I'm not looking for a free lead, more just some advice that can help me work my way to figuring out the investing world so that I can help others. 

     Hello Alexander,

    I agree with @Ernie Rodriguez and @Drew Sygit's great advice here! 

    I'd recommend the following, if you're serious about connecting with more investors:

    1. Stay active on BiggerPockets! Set up keyword alerts, follow locations (i.e. New Orleans Louisiana), and use the search feature to find topics and people of interest.
     
    2. Add value and expect nothing in return. Answer forum post questions from other members and expect nothing in return. Don't make your posts an advertisement, BP will remove your posts if you violate their posting policy. You have valuable experience with the # of units you've managed in the past, find posts that allow you to share this experience with the rest of the community.

    3. Set up a follow-up system. Whether its an email campaign, email newsletter, quarterly calls, monthly texts, etc. Stay in touch with everyone you connect with and never stop. 

    All the best!

    Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Wesley PittmanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Reno, NV · Member since 2015 · 116 posts · 48 votes
    10mo

    Hey @Alexander Stag,

    The thing that I think investors want most is deal flow. If you can bring them deals, you'll do plenty of business, and honestly, a lot of that happens by going directly to seller. One of the best things you can invest in yourself as an agent is learning sales skills and how to close.

    TrueNest Properties566 Reviews
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.