Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Agent
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Adam Rose
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
College student indecisive on being RE agent or not.

Adam Rose
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Apr 8 2016, 18:11

Hello BP forums,

This is my first BP post! I'm a 19 yr. old college student on course to become a law enforcement officer, which I am highly anxious for that job. I have one year left until I'm in a academy. I'm really interested in RE investing and wanting to be in the field soon as possible. I as a Police Officer will be financial okay with acquiring SFH as a start. I will invest locally where I live now so I know that market best. My question would be, stopping my current path of law enforcement and get my RE license quicker (possibly a year or two earlier).

I would think being a RE agent, you would have more connections, see more properties available and possibly acquire more properties faster. My plan is to have enough passive income by age 30 so I can have financial freedom and enjoy more of life.

All I know is RE agents have a significant lower median salary than a Law Enforcement officer’s pay. My sources are from Salary.com. I believe the salary is without any benefits and commission. I’m stuck between these two professions in helping me become a successful investor quicker and better.

FYI, I want to do buy and holds and possibly do some flips while with SFH and I also live in suburbs of Columbus, Ohio.

Being an Law Enforcement officer

Pros

• Better Pay
  • Benefits
  • A preferred Job
  • More money for down payments

Cons

• No connections to RE
  • Can’t see deals or properties while at work
  • Not related to RE

Being an RE agent:

Pros:

• Create connections with other investors, lawyers, banks, etc
  • Catch deals soon as they are placed on the market or even before the market
  • See more properties and know the best areas to buy knowing and hearing from other investors and/or RE agents.
  • I will become more educated in the field and be wiser about investing

Cons:

• Lower Pay
  • Not sure about benefits
  • Possibly less money for down payments
  • Slow Season

-Sorry for the long post. I’m young and it’s difficult to make a decision. I would enjoy some good insight of what everyone thinks. I’m open to all questions and feedback. 

Thank you in advance for reading the whole post and all the feedback!

Loading replies...