• Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Refinance at appraised value at closing ~$100k

Emily R.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted May 24 2023, 06:53

I have a cash deal under contract that I'm looking to refinance at appraised value rather than acquisition price right at closing. It will probably appraise for around $100k. It will be titled in an LLC. Can someone recommend a lender to work with?

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Beardt
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied May 24 2023, 09:41
Quote from @Emily R.:

I have a cash deal under contract that I'm looking to refinance at appraised value rather than acquisition price right at closing. It will probably appraise for around $100k. It will be titled in an LLC. Can someone recommend a lender to work with?

Hi Emily,

I'm not aware of any lenders that would be willing to refinance a property based on the appraised value immediately after a cash closing paying under market value. It's way too risky from the lender's perspective. You'll more than likely have to wait the 3 month title seasoning period before being able to refinance and tap into some of that equity. Think about it this way, if you pay $25K cash for that property, is it reasonable that a lender would turn around and give you $75K (assuming 75% LTV and it appraised at $100K) the next day? If you're trying to tap into the equity before the 3 months of being on Title, your leverage will be based off the acquisition price plus any verifiable rehab.

User Stats

Votes
Greg Kasmer
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia
Replied May 24 2023, 09:48

Emily - Yes, I generally agree with Brandon. I haven't found a lender willing to loan off of the appraised value instead of acquisition price at closing. After 3-4 months you might find a lender willing to loan against the home if some work/value add took place increasing the overall value of the home. In the Philadelphia area I would suggest talking to American Heritage Credit Union, WSFS, and Sun Federal Credit Union. I've spoken to them before and I think they would be a good starting point for you. Good Luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy O'Connor
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied May 24 2023, 10:49

@Emily R. My team offers lending for short term projects and I have some solid referrals in this market. I'll be reaching out over DM! 

User Stats

Votes
Alan Asriants
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied May 24 2023, 12:53
Quote from @Emily R.:

Hey Emily, try reaching out to @Gaetano Ciambriello. He might be able to help

User Stats

Votes
Jack Tulloch
Pro Member
#2 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 25 2023, 14:16

Emily - as others have mentioned, you will likely need at least 3 months seasoning for a lender to look at appraised value compared to cost basis. 

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied May 30 2023, 10:45
Quote from @Emily R.:

Hey Emily, 

Most lenders require 3-6 months seasoning, 12 months on conventional loans to use the appraised value. 

Fuente Funding Inc.  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jun 7 2023, 16:00
Quote from @Emily R.:

@Emily R.   

We have a non seaoning product meaning you can pull out cash immediatly using the current value. The way we do it is give you a short term bridge loan with no pre-payment penalty at 75% loan to value using the "imporved" value giving you the cash back. Then turn around to refi into a 30 year fixed conventional loan/DSCR loan right away using the same appraisal. So, you have your cash back out with no seasoning requirement AND the long term fixed rate.

The reason this works is because the seasoning requirements for conventional loans and MOST non-conventional products are ONLY for cash out loans where you walk away with cash NOT for when you simply pay off what is owned on the mortgage you are refiancing. Our bridge loan is our money so we make the rules, and we do not have seasoning for value.  Then we refi with no cash out so no seasoning issues there either. 

• Lender Alabama (#69841), Virginia (#MLO-35815VA), Texas (#323441), Pennsylvania (#64778), Oregon (#323441), Louisiana (#323411), Iowa (#31166), Georgia (#55988), Florida (#LO40080), and Colorado (#100506224)

Hurst Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Zach Edelman
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 8 2023, 06:11

Another vote for three months seasoning.