Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
David Dewey
  • Investor
  • La Plata, MD
Votes |
Using a Disabled Vet VA Loan

David Dewey
  • Investor
  • La Plata, MD
Posted Jun 1 2015, 09:22

Hello Everyone,

I constantly see quite a bit stuff and discussion on the site about the VA programs. I have decided to jump in and talk about my VA loan Experience, and possibly help answer some questions about the process.

Recently, my wife and I bought a home in Maryland.  Both of us are vets, and she qualifies as a disabled vet, so we ended up using her loan.  By doing this we saved thousands in various fees.  I will admit that the process was a little bit more complicated than what I had first anticipated, but over all it went pretty smoothly.  The only problem that I ran into, is that I have a loan out for an investment property in Hawaii, and because of that our debt to income ratio was a little bit off.  We ended up having to pay off a few things to make the debt to income ratio under 55%. 

From start to finish, the entire process ended up taking about 3 months.  

Here are some of the figures:  

House cost $320,000. 

Interest Rate 3.75% (This was a little bit high, but we ended up rolling the remainder of car loan into the housing loan which made the interest rate go up a little bit)

Zero Down

Seller paid $10,000 in other closing cost

Got back $59 at the closing table 

So the question is would I use the VA loan again, yes...I did feel a little bit overwhelmed with the who process, but it was a good experience.

Please feel free to share any advice or experiences that you had.  Also if you have any questions, I would be willing to try to help out.