Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tom Goans
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Englewood, CO
Votes |
The Measure of Our Worth

Tom Goans
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Englewood, CO
Posted Jul 8 2013, 14:43

The Measure of Our Worth

The measure of our worth is not what we have done for ourselves;
but what we have done for others.

There is more to life than personal accumulation, building wealth, and cash flow.

Less debt enables you to help others. This is an account from my personal history.

A couple with 4 children were buying a home from me. The only household income was his derived from driving a truck. Every winter he would be laid off December and January.

During the months he did not work, I did not require them to make house payments. They were able to enjoy the Holiday Season without the stress of making house payments. Instead, the family had a better holiday.

I was able to provide the family this assistance because I owned the property free and clear and my holding costs were less than $200 monthly.

I was not someone to whom they paid money. I was the ONLY person who gave them the opportunity to own their home. Years later, the family owns the home free and clear.

I have the good fortune to have other similar success stories. My goal is not to be a burden to one’s life, but a problem solver. Should a payer become delinquent, my first response is to ask if I can help.

People are not deadbeats, stuff happens. It is all about the way you treat them. Give them a chance and they will become the best payer you have.

I am not suggesting this is the correct way to respond to borrower/tenant challenges. This is the way I respond. You will decide how you wish to respond to your borrower/tenant challenges. Each is unique.

Comments and viewpoints are always welcomed. We all learn from others.

Loading replies...