Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joshua B.
  • Professional
  • Canton, MI
Votes |
First wholesale deal - $22,500 profit

Joshua B.
  • Professional
  • Canton, MI
Posted May 17 2021, 13:23

I'm a pretty dedicated Craigslist checker, which mainly consists of sifting through the same ad for a BRAND NEW (mobile) HOME for $89,900. Pretty boring most of the time and on most days it's fruitless.

However, a few months back I spotted a listing for a house in Royal Oak, MI. I generally scroll through Craislist quickly only looking for listings based on the area (i.e. A or B areas). Royal Oak is definitely an A. I scheduled a showing thinking it would be a nice BRRR. It was a cute house from the exterior and sat on a street full of new builds that replaced teardowns. When I stepped inside, I immediately realized the interior had some significant challenges that would make the BRRR approach a lot more difficult. My wife and I were ready to walk away, but didn't want to waste a trip. Instead we stepped outside, chatted, and picked a number that would let us either complete a complete interior gut or just sell it as a teardown. I was very clear that I was absolutely prepared to purchase the home, but that I might also look to wholesale the property. I outright said that putting it on the MLS was the best move, but they had reasons for not wanting to do that. The seller accepted within about 24 hours.

Shortly after I had it under contract, I called a few local builders, including one who built the house across the street. He ended up making the best offer. One bidder did approach try to scoop the deal from me after I presented it, even though it was under contract, but fortunately the other party was honest and nothing came from that. A good reminder to always have your paperwork in order, be transparent, and good to work with.

I took a $22,500 assignment fee. Definitely left some meat on the bone but it was outside my geographical area so I was fine with that. I won't become a full time wholesaler, but it was interesting to use it as a different tool to achieve a successful deal.

Loading replies...