Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Matsushima
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
What's The Best Piece Of Advice You Heard On The Podcast?

Joseph Matsushima
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Posted Jan 9 2023, 20:30

Hey BP Community! We’re creating new YouTube video series highlighting the best advice from the Real Estate podcast over the years. We wanted to ask you what's your favorite episode and advice that you heard from the show? Share with us your favorite advice/tip along with the episode it was on and we'll feature it in an upcoming youtube video series! Feel free to fill out this form here, or reply below: 
https://forms.gle/FUpdYbLR2r38...

Looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks! 

User Stats

Votes
Tony Iwen
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied Jan 10 2023, 04:03

Great Question! 

I think I would have to go with an episode from the BiggerPocket Real Estate Podcast. It was episode 695: Billionaire Advice.

The reason this episode stuck for me is the fact that I am currently a full time teacher and I actually listened to part of it with my students as they are about the age of the guy when he started his journey. Teaching in a rural area, I wanted to show my students that anything is possible with hard work, determination, and a good skill set.

For some students it definitely helped having someone other than myself discuss the power of those assets that were brought up! 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Reichenbach
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 10 2023, 06:51

I think my favorite advice is to "Take Action" and "Real Estate/Investing is a 'get rich slow' game"

I'm just starting out with a House Hack and have read many of the Bigger Pockets books along with other Self Help and Financial Books. 

A lot of people get stuck in Analysis Paralysis while reading a lot but I've started to think about taking action in another way. A lot of these books have a lot of the same information or general information so for people that are stuck in analysis paralysis, the time to take action is when you start seeing the same things show up in each book. There's no way to know everything but when the same things start showing up, chances are that is pretty good advice and you already have the general knowledge to start.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jan 10 2023, 07:03

Alex Pardo and the flip empire podcast has given me sooooooo much good advice its hard to break it down.........but the episode with the Repair credit was a gem! or the Rod Khleif episode were full of gems

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sloop
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Jan 12 2023, 04:39

Not a specific piece of advice really but I have always written down and read the book recommendations …

Rich Dad changed my life

Book on Flipping Houses gave me the confidence to start

Think and Grow Rich will expand your thinking

How to Win Friends and Influence, incredible advice

To many to list

User Stats

Votes
Jevon Shaw
  • Investor
  • DFW, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • DFW, TX
Replied Jan 12 2023, 07:33

I think it was one that Scott Trench said. He basically said that real estate doesn't have to be hard. If you can stand your job, stay. 10-15 years worth of consistent side hustling/investing will get you incredibly far. 

User Stats

Votes
Eric Mcginn
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Bernardino, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Bernardino, CA
Replied Jan 12 2023, 07:38

I haven’t read any books or podcasts on RE investing. I learn from trying to make deals happen. The ones that don’t go through are the biggest learning points. 

Having a 20 minute chat with a knowledgeable finance person is probably with 50 podcasts 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 12 2023, 08:11

Common refrain on the BP main podcast, across many episodes: “real estate isn’t hard to understand, it’s just hard work.  But the more you give to it, the more it gives back.”

User Stats

Votes
Paul De Luca
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jan 12 2023, 08:27

I agree with @Jacob Sloop. I think the books people have recommended over the years are some of the most valuable nuggets from the podcast since it allows you to expand more deeply into topics than in a 1 hour podcast. 

The book recommendations and the podcast generally have reinforced my commitment to being a life long learner.

• Real Estate Agent Illinois (#475.190985)

eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jan 12 2023, 08:31

I think David Greene discussed "portfolio architecture" on a recent podcast and I really enjoyed it. Moving forward we're steering our investments to a balanced position. Being over-levered is dangerous. Owning lots of properties free and clear is a bad use of money. Owning only one type of asset class is risky. It's should be a natural progression to create strong equity positions in multiple classes with good reserves along the way.

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Fontaine
  • Property Manager
Votes |
  • Property Manager
Replied Jan 12 2023, 09:04

Andy Frisella on Ep. 16 of the RealAF Podcast. He talks about the Power List and explains how to use it. Very simple tool. Life changing results.

User Stats

Votes
Andy Algreen
  • Realtor
  • Des Moines, IA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Des Moines, IA
Replied Jan 12 2023, 11:55

Ed Mylett - Ep. 433. 

Ed talks about setting new standards for your life and how they compound over time. New standards create new habits and new habits can help lead to a life you want to live. Very good podcast and  I highly recommend giving it a listen!

User Stats

Votes
Brandon States
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jan 12 2023, 12:02

The podcast guests always say take action. So I did and it has resulted in some great progress. My actions in a nutshell were to first focus on learning while reducing expenses and saving. Then I invested those savings and re-invested the cash flow to keep growing.

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 12 2023, 12:43

The advice to read Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Very VERY impactful for me, particularly early on in my financial-learning journey.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 12 2023, 17:44

The best thing for me, is not something specific but to discover the amount of free information and to know people thats willing to share knowledge and advice so you can success, that for me is amazing

User Stats

Votes
Ethen Roemmich
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Bismarck ND
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Bismarck ND
Replied Jan 12 2023, 22:18

I have loved all the episodes first and foremost. But 2 episodes that stand out to me in particular the first was when David Greene was breaking down market analysis and would love to see more on that topic from him or Data Dave. The second was ROE and that holding a cash flowing house forever could be limiting your future growth due to other factors. 

I would say a brief overview of market analysis would be most helpful.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Gunnerson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Jan 13 2023, 05:38

Episode 554 with Cody Davis is up there for me. While describing how he has been able to buy so many properties via seller finance, Cody emphasized the importance of building relationships with the potential sellers. 

"People don’t like being sold, instead of selling the idea of seller financing, focus on being relatable and selling yourself"

This approach helped Cody stand out from the crowd of people calling about the property who are just trying to buy the property and couldn't care less about the seller's story.

User Stats

Votes
Larry Turowski
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Rochester, NY
Replied Jan 13 2023, 06:36

For me there is no one thing. It is the accumulation of nuggets.

I think new investors are often looking for the golden egg, this one thing, one asset type, one way to source deals, one habit to put into place that will change their lives. And while sometimes a podcast may be timely for the situation you’re in, more often than not, like me, it’ll just be one or a few nuggets that you can add like tools to your investment toolbox. And you’ll need a few even for just one deal.

For me a recent one was to not miss out on deals by not taking calculated risks and sometimes losing.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 13 2023, 10:48

Matt Bontrager talking about tax strategy was pure gold!

User Stats

Votes
Chauncey Ponting
  • Chillicothe, MO
Votes |
  • Chillicothe, MO
Replied Feb 4 2023, 06:39

Rick Jarman RIP, episode 393 BiggerPockets podcast.

Simple, no frills advance that can get you started no matter where your headed in real estate.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 14 2023, 10:57
Quote from @Brandon States:

The podcast guests always say take action. So I did and it has resulted in some great progress. My actions in a nutshell were to first focus on learning while reducing expenses and saving. Then I invested those savings and re-invested the cash flow to keep growing.

That's amazing, how did you start in real estate once you reduced expenses?

User Stats

Votes
Brandon States
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Apr 14 2023, 12:06
Quote from @Matthew Wolach:
Quote from @Brandon States:

That's amazing, how did you start in real estate once you reduced expenses?

Purchased a Duplex as my primary. Tenant paid 65% of mortgage so I saved all that and used that as the down-payment for another duplex.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 25 2023, 08:22

Creative financing is the way to go. I was very fortunate to partner with one of those "old lady sharks" you mentioned, lol, greatest real estate education & experience anyone could  have. She knows every aspect of the business and could educate our sellers on why creative financing is the best way to go for the seller as well as buyer. Also the balloon rollover was great advice. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes