Do you want to help BiggerPockets become even better?

Do you want to help BiggerPockets become even better?

Hilary C.Pro Member
Sr. Director of Customer Service · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2014 · 79 posts · 63 votes

Hey everyone!

My name is Hilary Catton, and if you don't know me, I am the Director of Customer Success for this amazing site you're currently on, BiggerPockets!

My goal is to make BiggerPockets even more accessible, easy to understand, and up to date on the most current sites you all love to frequent. I want to make your time on BP as enjoyable as I can, and I would love your input on what changes we could make to better your time on our site.

What do you find confusing, or challenging on the site? Do feel navigating through the site could be better - how? Do you wish something was more in depth, and less broad?

I look forward to all your responses! BiggerPockets appreciate you all!

Thanks!

Hilary

BiggerPockets
8Reply
774 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Redding, CA · Member since 2016 · 180 posts · 102 votes
9y

Is there a way to save a blog post you really like or want to refer to later? I'd like to have a favorites or save button so I could save forum posts, blog posts and even podcasts that I want to refer to again later. Thanks!

See this reply in the discussion

159 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    I just wanted to mention that the font rendering for the website is very poor in Ubuntu Linux. I don't think this affects very many people, but the fonts are difficult to read on that operating system. Might consider checking it out.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 149 posts · 75 votes
    9y
    Page numbers on the iOS app please! Endless scrolling currently
  • Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 597 votes
    9y

    The ability to read and respond to BP messages over email would be fantastic. 

  • Investor · Pearland, TX · Member since 2016 · 246 posts · 136 votes
    9y

    sometimes i see a post that i really like the information and want to reference it again, but i forget how to find it, 

    maybe add an option to favorite a post/blog/file/etc.. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    @Hilary C. 

    I thought of one more thing:

    Is there any way we can identify other people on Bigger Pockets who have connected with us and distinguish them from those who have not, or others with pending requests?

    Maybe those who are connected can see a certain colored circle around a colleague or follower's profile picture when they are logged in, and those who have a pending request waiting can have a different colored circle.

    All other profile photos can remain as they are.

    (What do you think @Account Closed ?)

  • Investor · Ewa Beach, HI · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    Hi. I love the site but have issues with the market place portion. It's hard to see what is newest and also hard to filter & search for things in there.  Would like to see update so it could be filtered by state, category, etc like Craig's list. 

  • Investor · Blue Springs, MO · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    I am using the BRRR calculator and the question comes into play when you download the PDF report and review the doc. There is not a location where it shows the number of bedrooms, bathrooms...etc. I would like to see more of the property features listed on the 3rd page of the report.

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 807 posts · 274 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Cheryl Crockett:

    @Hilary C. 

    I thought of one more thing:

    Is there any way we can identify other people on Bigger Pockets who have connected with us and distinguish them from those who have not, or others with pending requests?

    Maybe those who are connected can see a certain colored circle around a colleague or follower's profile picture when they are logged in, and those who have a pending request waiting can have a different colored circle.

    All other profile photos can remain as they are.

    (What do you think @Account Closed ?)

      Honestly that would get confusing for me. I usually click through to a profile and you can see there if you're connected with the person. Also on the colleague request page you can see your pending requests as well.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Hilary C.,

    I agree with the folks who mention navigation. I just got to end of page 1 of this thread, and wanted to go to the last post on the last page. There is no easy way to do that.

    We know it can be done - the "Recent Posts" list has a link to go to the last post in a thread.

    Does anyone on your programming staff have more than 30 years experience designing/writing user interfaces (I do)? ... or any software based on common function libraries?

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Hilary C.,

    For the site in general, I find it a bit ironic. REI is a seriously entrepreneurial pursuit, yet this site seems to treat entrepreneurs as almost "persona non grata".

    There isn't even an entrepreneurial focus to the approach to REI among senior people on the site on the BP side or on the community side.

    BP tries to be educational through it's "free courses". I've seen them - you definitely get what you pay for. Success in one's field is viewed as a qualification to be an educator. Most qualified educators would take exception to that.

    My $0.02 ...

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @JD Martin:

    One major suggestion: Provide a "hover" box that provides the first few sentences of a post when you are looking at the list in the forum,

     Non-portable implementation - - only a desktop system has HOVER or MouseOver().  This becomes critical as the 'web' is already at 40% mobile devices.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Jeff B.,

    I don't have a mobile device, but I'm told that touch-and-hold is roughly equivalent to "hover". Might not be true for all implementations, I guess.

  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    @Marvin McTaw wrote:

    "Honestly that would get confusing for me. I usually click through to a profile and you can see there if you're connected with the person. Also on the colleague request page you can see your pending requests as well."

    Actually, Marvin - it is just like on Facebook when someone who is friends with you has a button next to their name that says "Friends" (you don't always have to click back to their profile to confirm, or when you search for a name on Twitter and all the people with that name, or some variation of it, are listed in the results, Twitter indicates which ones are following you, and which ones you are following, with an icon that is either filled with blue or white (on certain platforms).

    This is a similar concept.

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 807 posts · 274 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Cheryl Crockett:

    @Marvin McTaw wrote:

    "Honestly that would get confusing for me. I usually click through to a profile and you can see there if you're connected with the person. Also on the colleague request page you can see your pending requests as well."

    Actually, Marvin - it is just like on Facebook when someone who is friends with you has a button next to their name that says "Friends" (you don't always have to click back to their profile to confirm, or when you search for a name on Twitter and all the people with that name, or some variation of it, are listed in the results, Twitter indicates which ones are following you, and which ones you are following, with an icon that is either filled with blue or white (on certain platforms).

    This is a similar concept.

     That's interesting. I've never really paid that much attention to that level of detail on it. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    @Marvin McTaw

    So if I was looking at a list in Bigger Pockets of all the people named "Marvin" (accomplished by entering your first name in the search bar), when I look over the results, I would see your profile picture with a golden circle around the outer edge (or whatever color). And because I am connected to only one person with the first (or last) name "Marvin" at this time, everyone else in my search results would have no border around their profile pics when I view them while logged in. And I would know that I don't have to click on your name to invite you to connect with me.

    Right now, if I want to connect with someone with whom I have forgotten having sent a connection request, I either have to go through all of my sent messages to find that person, or send them another request, after which Bigger Pockets will display an error message that lets me know I have already sent this particular person a previous connection message.

    Does that make sense?

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 807 posts · 274 votes
    9y

    @Cheryl Crockett yes I hear you. Maybe a breakout as well in your connections. In my opinion, the search stuff can be improved. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Laredo, TX · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    It would be helpful to be able to select information from the State you are interested.
  • Rental Property Investor · New Martinsville, WV · Member since 2012 · 105 posts · 44 votes
    9y
    I bought a book online. The link expired to download. Tried to resend link but it never showed up...even in junk mail.
  • Syndicator and Fund Manager · Victor, NY · Member since 2012 · 760 posts · 345 votes
    9y
    Hilary Catton need a way to send colleague requests via the iPhone app
  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    also bought online.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ramapo, NY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 108 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kyle Grimm:

    It would be awesome if the BP app was updated.  Maybe I am not using the app right, but I can't ever find my posts when I'm on the app.  It would be convenient if like Facebook, all of our posts are added to our profile page so we can easily see if anyone has voted or commented.

     I don't know if it has been updated since then, but I stopped using the app a few months ago because BP's mobile site actually has more functionality! I'd also like to throw my support behind @Kenneth LaVoie - good suggestions about the marketplace. My own additional comment is that the filter function doesn't seem to work well. For instance, I am unable to click the "X" to remove a filter, both on my Android Chrome browser and on my desktop browser (Opera, runs on the Chromium engine). That means I have to reload the whole forum every time I want to tweak my filters.

  • Burke, VA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Hi, Hilary

    Appreciate the question! With the existing site, a "by state" function would be great to add to Bigger Pockets' property searches, forums, etc- perhaps as a drop down menu- provided the options included an "all" or allows for multiple states to be selected. As an example: in this area alone, it is common for buyers and investors to search in Virginia, Maryland and DC.

        That search modifier would help in the forums as well, facilitating a more rapid exchange of information among licensees governed by the same state laws.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Hi, Hilary

    Appreciate the question! With the existing site, a "by state" function would be great to add to Bigger Pockets' property searches, forums, etc- perhaps as a drop down menu- provided the options included an "all" or allows for multiple states to be selected. As an example: in this area alone, it is common for buyers and investors to search in Virginia, Maryland and DC.

        That search modifier would help in the forums as well, facilitating a more rapid exchange of information among licensees governed by the same state laws.

     Judy if you go into the forum categories, there are state specific forums, and even sub forums for certain cities as well.

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 11 votes
    9y
    When I click on podcasts in the mobile app nothing happens, all the other buttons work and redirect ok.
  • Rental Property Investor · Ramapo, NY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 108 votes
    9y

    Another issue - tags don't seem to work consistently? I couldn't tag @Kenneth LaVoie before... now it seems I can.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.