Quick Survey: How Did You Discover BiggerPockets?

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 185 posts · 97 votes
8y

I was a wannabe REI a few years ago and started googling. When I found a post by BP I was really impressed with the amount and type of information provided, so I poked around...

Since then, and 99% thanks to BiggerPockets for the amazing info and resources, I have become an "actual" REI - I close on my 23rd unit in a few weeks.

I still consider myself quite a newbie in most regards, but hope to build on this foundation and start to scale over this year and next.

See this reply in the discussion

279 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joseph ODonovanPro Member
    Property Manager · Ridley, PA · Member since 2017 · 427 posts · 449 votes
    8y
    @Mindy Jensen So I was new to the real estate game and I was making bids to acquire my first Brrrr. Well, it turns out I lost the bidding on a property I really really wanted. Now I wanted to find out who the winning bidder was and for how much. So I waited approx 2 months before it became public record. I found out I lost the bid by $500 to the winning bidder. I googled the winning bidders name and wouldn't you know his name was all over this website called biggerpockets.com. And I was like "what the hell is biggerpockets"? Now I know. I'm am very happy I lost that bid!
  • Broomfield, CO · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    I found it through the book “The Book on Investing in Eeal Estate with No (and low) Money Down”. Highly recommend this book to all newbies:)
  • Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 8 votes
    8y
    Same as the others! I did a google search for a real estate investing term and a Bigger Pockets Blog Post popped up. There were other articles from other REI websites, but the BP one gave me the information needed in a layman's term.
  • Moncton, NB · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    I was on Reddit looking up real estate investing the first time I heard of biggerpockets
  • Realtor · Northford, CT · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    I came across it while listening to real estate investment videos on YouTube. I’m a newbie, but I really love listening to the podcasts and getting so many different perspectives to investment opportunities.
  • Cocoa Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    Saw some YouTube videos that led me to the website!

  • Melbourne, FL · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Browsing on youtube for general real estate investing wisdom.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brattleboro, VT · Member since 2015 · 204 posts · 174 votes
    8y
    Google search on passive income. I saw Brandon tureners big mug talking about real estate. at first I thought it was classic internet marketing trying to sell me something. but here I am 4 years later going from $10k to $100k+ in net worth because of what I have learned on bigger pockets!
  • Real Estate Agent · Columbia, MD · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Multiple Google searches on a variety of real estate related topics that all ended at BiggerPockets.
  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 69 votes
    8y
    I knew I wanted to become a real estate investor, had just read Keller’s book, and then started furiously seeking info online. Just about every google search I did led me to BP. I discovered the forums, then the webinars, then Brandon sold me a Pro membership, then I got my first rental :)
  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Google search for wholesaling help. Very glad i clicked here. This site has provided me more insight and guidance than anything I've looked into yet. Thank you and everyone for the information and for sharing your experience.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bennington, VT · Member since 2017 · 79 posts · 60 votes
    8y

    A coworker house hacking a duplex got me interested in the idea, I started researching and many of my Google searches returned a list of BP threads pretty close to the top.  

  • Dumfries, VA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    I got hooked on real estate investing from YouTube videos. I'll never forget the day I laid my eyes on Brandon and his magnificent beard.

  • Alexandria, VA · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    I discovered Bigger Pockets through the podcast which I believe I found through Google.  I was looking for additional real estate/ personal finance podcasts to listen to while commuting to work.

  • Investor · Pickerington, OH · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    I discovered BP through an investor friend/co-worker.  He raved about awesome podcasts from BiggerPockets.  I've been an avid listener ever since!

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y
    Comments from Social Media 😀
  • Rental Property Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    I was searching on Google and found a lot of great information. I also found answers to questions I didn't know I had.
  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    All over YouTube REI that are not huge gurus mentioned BP. I even hear one of the big gurus mention BP.
  • Rental Property Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    I heard Brandon Turner on a podcast. I think it was Afford Anything.
  • Rental Property Investor · Fond Du Lac, WI · Member since 2015 · 261 posts · 78 votes
    8y
    Randomly found a Grant Cardone episode on a different podcast. That lead me to typing in ‘Grant Cardone’ into the search and the BiggerPockets episode featuring him came up. I had no interest or thought of real estate before that. Now I’ve listened to every single episode 3x+ and have done multiple deals 🙂
  • Real Estate Broker · Apopka, FL · Member since 2017 · 492 posts · 528 votes
    8y
    I read Brandon Turner's the book on investing in Real Estate with no and low money down. Wasn't a Realtor at the time and just thinking of getting a rental property someday maybe... It was my second REI specific book and at first thought it odd for an author to keep plugging a web forum. I kept ignoring it until I loved the book and decided to see what this bigger pockets thing was. I've been hooked on BP since and have read several more recommended titles and listened to all the BP and BP money podcasts. Thanks for all you guys do @Mindy Jensen
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    I did a Google search for REI.
  • Scott HartPro Member
    Livermore, CA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    A buddy at work turned me on to the podcasts, and it progressed from there...
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    Quick answer:  Google.  

    When the market had crashed we relocated from Redding, CA where we'd developed all types of properties for 25 years, to Orange County. Completely different markets. We knew that southern CA would be the first area to rebound. We had no idea what niche to try to get into, so I started googling various things, and low and behold I came upon BP. That was January 2009.

    While browsing throught the forums I realized there were many with questions on construction, real estate, real estate agents, development, etc. that I could answer, so I jumped in and started. I was hooked. 

    I started picking the brains of others with different types of experience in many different niches (you wouldn't believe all the different investment niches there are represented here, and the backgrounds of the people)  researching various types of financing, and areas in southern CA, etc. 

    Since then, we've built 4 new ground up construction homes in Orange County, and sold each setting sales records in their neighborhoods. One build, a duplex, had a BP investor that came in with his IRA on the land, and a loan broker on BP found us the loan for one deal. We ended up moving to Bend, and the land investor again used his IRA funds to purchase a lot and go in on a new build, and another BP investor is in on the rehab we're doing in Sunriver.

    In addition, I've helped start a meetup of BP members in Bend, and I can tell you it's filled with ambitions, goal oriented investors that will be putting deals together with each other in the future. 

    After some time answering questions, Joshua asked me if I'd like to be a moderator, and I jumped at the chance. I was the first female moderator by the way!! I love this site. You will get out far more than what you put in. Sorry for the book. 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    I went to a guru real estate seminar five years ago and the speaker somewhat disparagingly mentioned BiggerPockets as a source of free information and a way to network with real estate investors. I got on the site and started reading the forums. Considering that at the time of the guru seminar I had no rentals and I currently own two duplexes and three SFRs, I've increased my net worth four times over, and my wife and I look forward to the future with great anticipation instead of dread, yeah, I can't complain. BiggerPockets has been a priceless source on what to do as well as what not to do in this business.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.