Quick Survey: How Did You Discover BiggerPockets?

279 Replies

Hey there. I'm wondering how you discovered BiggerPockets?  This is an informal survey for a presentation I'm doing. 

the agent I was working with would occasionally share a blog post on his facebook page.

I was a wannabe REI a few years ago and started googling. When I found a post by BP I was really impressed with the amount and type of information provided, so I poked around...

Since then, and 99% thanks to BiggerPockets for the amazing info and resources, I have become an "actual" REI - I close on my 23rd unit in a few weeks.

I still consider myself quite a newbie in most regards, but hope to build on this foundation and start to scale over this year and next.

I was reading one of their books and they mentioned it in the books and they have it on the cover.

I am reading David Greene’s book on out-of-state real estate investment opportunities. He mentioned BP a few times in the book. Recently, I subscribed to the BP YouTube page and I just made an account on the app as well. I’m looking forward to getting involved as a real estate investor and possibly as an agent in the near future.

I was on YouTube looking at working with real estate agents and trying to learn from other people. I just so happened to turn on one of the podcast, and an hour later I signed up and subscribed to their channel.

I was looking for a new financial/real estate podcast on Apple, and BP was one of the first that came up! 

Well, it all started back in 2011, 

I was researching 'how to do the landlord thing right'. I knew a lot of people who seemed to be doing it 'wrong' ..... they were not enjoying it, having to put cash in out of pocket every month etc, had some night mare tenants, etc..... 

When I was googling I saw BiggerPockets come up a LOT to the questions I was asking. In short order I was confident of having 'good guidelines' to at least point me in the right direction. Within a year I had formed a 3 way partnership with my SDIRA and two other SDIRAs to buy our first rental thanks to BP...... I had never heard of SDIRAs before but it was a Godsend when three friends all had large IRAs to roll-over and get going!

Since then, thanks to BP I/we have set up SOLO401ks, bought with Seller Financing, secures Private Investors, and are currently working on a series of deals that would involve all of the following; No money down (out of our pocket), Private Investors, Partial Seller Financing and a couple of 1031s! 

Thank you BiggerPockets! 

Dan Dietz

Brandon Turners book "Rental Property Investing" was purchased and learned in there.

I had read Rich Dad poor Dad and immediately went to YouTube to search for real estate podcasts - guess which one popped up first??!!

I was listening to a podcast on my commute to school, "We Study Billionaires", and they had brought one of the BP guys on. I quickly switched to the BP podcast and made an account!

I was on the Bogleheads forum, and someone mentioned it there

I was told about BP by my son who wants to get into the real estate market place doing fix & flips.

I Googled real estate investing, I signed immediately

I was looking for Real Estate Investing PodCasts  that I could listen to a few years ago and came across the Bigger Pockets Show.  I have to admit that when I first heard Joshua Dorkin & Brandon Turner for the first time I thought they weren't a serious show but, after a few episodes I came to like their personalities and then got hooked and never missed an episode since.

Love it.

I have always wanted to invest in Real Estate and wondering how everyone has done it without much money. So on April 10, I went to a Meetup.com group and all were welcome including beginners; they were very helpful and willing to share their experiences with me! That's where I found out about BiggerPockets.com! I have been spending lots of time on the website and hope to get started investing in Real Estate soon! BiggerPockets has been the best place to start! 

Was mentioned on Mr. Money Mustache forum

@Mindy Jensen I love your thoughtful 'informal' surveys, it really brings out a lot in people.

For me, a few years back, we were searching for Hard Money Lenders, and BP came up with a long list of lenders.

Someone who works at Alpha Flow (real estate crowdfunding site) recommended BiggerPockets.

I googled something about MF investing. 'MF' stands for other things too........................

Wow it was over  a decade ago. Josh was a one man show. There was a static page website with a few bank foreclosure links in the middle. I don't remember it having anything else.

I found it through Google. I joined and didn't do much with it as nothing was there.

Years later I found it again but this time there was a forum and other items and look was different. That was back in 2010. Some of the old membership had been purged with the upgrade of the system so had to create another new account.

I remember I just set  a daily goal of posting and learning with my first post and the rest is history. The knowledge on the site was incredible. Back then it was more intimate with investors 20,30,40 years in the business talking about high level topics.

The BP site has grown to amazing levels. 

I discovered it through Brandon Turner's real estate in your twenties website.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.