• Investor
  • Mesa, AZ
Votes |
Tiny Homes in RV Parks

Travis Kay
  • Investor
  • Mesa, AZ
Posted Jan 5 2024, 11:26

I am in the process of building an RV Park. I have purchased thr land, had it rezone and am designing my plans for the community now. In meeting with the town building inspector he is having a hard time wrapping his head around allowing "tiny homes" that are not RVs or Park models into the community. I have seen many communities with tiny homes in them and am looking for advice on what I can provide the building inspector to get him onboard with tiny homes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

I am not in Mesa, but up in Northern Arizona.   

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 6 2024, 06:46

Always check State law in conjunction with city/county ordinances.  Over prior decades cities and counties usually cut and paste stipulations into their regs and then as state law change they fail to update their codes.  I read once in Arizona that tiny homes on wheels are considered non permanant structures and allowed in state parks and RV parks.  I never double checked that and am no lawyer... just a recollection.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 6 2024, 08:36

Hi Travis,

Maybe his concern is that those tiny homes dont meet HUD standards? Park models are built in a factory, maxed out at 399 square feet but meet HUD standards. Tiny homes can technically be built in a "backyard"...

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jan 7 2024, 16:57

@Travis Kay It may be a good idea to reach out and talk to the communities with other tiny homes in the area. They may be able to give you some insight on the process when it comes to working with local government. 

Also, you may want to visit some tiny home dealerships as well. They may have some advice and insight on how you can best proceed with the process. 

Hope that helps! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 10 2024, 12:49

@Travis Kay You have two different models, Tiny Home NON-HUD 399SF and under the home is build a little different and is made to move more often because of the frame it is placed on. The home will not have a oven and will be on a 100 AMP braker. A tiny HUD approved home will be built more like a manufactured home, the home can have an oven and will be on a 200 AMP breaker, but can go lower if going into a RV park. All HUD homes must be over 400SF. DM me for more info you will just have to show the home you are getting is HUD approved.

User Stats

Votes
Shiloh Lundahl
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jan 18 2024, 04:48

@Travis Kay have you considered reaching out to the builder of Luxtiny (a tiny house park in the Show Low Lakeside area to find out how he did it?

We are going to build one in Florence, Arizona within the next couple of years.