• Realtor
  • Erie Co
Votes |
Best Use for Heloc's??

Brandon Elliott
  • Realtor
  • Erie Co
Posted Nov 21 2022, 09:25

Hey everyone! I recently made a post on one of my social media channels (Tiktok) about a Heloc and it blew up!! I am curious to see what actual investors here are using it for and how thier returns have been?

Mind sharing some wins here? Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Frank Avallone II
  • Lender
  • Morristown, NJ
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Morristown, NJ
Replied Nov 21 2022, 09:28

Could be great for flipping!

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Nov 22 2022, 10:28

They can be used for buying "all cash quick close" properties.  And the funds can be used for rehabbing.  I like the aspect of not having to go get proper mortgages all the time, the closing costs are much reduced from traditional mortgages.  I called two local credit unions; one required a full appraisal while the other just used something like a desktop underwriting valuation.  I could use that to my advantage, as well.

The down side is that some banks have called lines in or reduced the line they offer.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Williams
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Clarksville, TN
Replied Nov 22 2022, 11:43

Arbitrage for private lending!

User Stats

Votes
Allan Smith
  • Developer
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Dec 7 2022, 04:03

Heloc should only be used for short term projects, ideally in the 6 month range. Use it as a down payment or even pay full cash using it, but make sure that property has an exit strategy ready to execute in less than a year.

not only is this good financial sense, it's also how banks judge your creditworthiness when they look at your heloc activity.

User Stats

Votes
John McKee
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied Dec 27 2022, 17:59

I used it for a down payment on a commercial property because the rate on a HELOC is actually cheaper than a traditional rate! My Heloc is 5.99% and the Cap rate on the purchase was about a 7%. Having access to capital with a click of a mouse is awesome when you need it. If you don't have a Heloc run and get one now! Remember that the equity in your house is dead equity. Put it to work!