Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes

Selling first home & using equity to purchase bigger property

Posted Apr 14 2023, 08:23

We bought our first home in 2017 for 569,000 and today currently it is currently worth around 775,000. After speaking to our realtor about possibly renting out our first home and using our equity to purchase a bigger home, we realized that we could possibly lose money on renting it out. I'm trying to convince my (frugal) husband to instead sell our first home to purchase a bigger home for our growing family but its taking a lot for him to consider it. Since purchasing our first home we've significantly increased our income and the equity that we have gained from our first property would be significant enough to put towards potentials in our neighborhood. Please help me find some selling points for him! 

User Stats

Votes
Clayton Silva
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
Replied Apr 14 2023, 16:35

Is it possible to put the proceeds from the sale down on an investment property that will generate some income to offset the mortgage payment on the newer bigger home?  This way you both win!  Your frugal husband can still have a similar monthly payment or at least a lower monthly payment than what you would have otherwise on a new primary plus you get a cash flowing asset that will build your family's wealth!  And you get a bigger home that you can purchase with your increased earning potential.

Atlas Mortgage Group Logo