Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Gary Love
Votes |
list of things/checklist to look at during home viewing

Gary Love
Posted May 7 2023, 12:27

Does anyone have a list of things that we should be looking at and checking when viewing a possible SFH investment property? We know many of course but thought someone on here with more knowledge/experience may have a great checklist that they'd be willing to share with us when we're looking. Any help would be much appreciated. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!! Thanks in advance. Gary

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Allen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • South Lake Tahoe, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • South Lake Tahoe, CA
Replied May 7 2023, 15:47

@Gary Love

Look at everything!

I don’t have any fancy pdf for you but here’s a short list:

- Look under all sinks for leaks

- Look in every corner (ceilings and floors) for any sign of water damage or cracking

- Look at the water heater, HVAC, AC, etc…

- Pull out floor vents if you want to see what kind of floors are under the carpets.

- Look in the crawl space and attic if you can (always have a pocket flashlight on you)

The more you can find out on the first visit, the better off you’ll be. I’m always looking for reasons my clients shouldn’t buy the home. If nothin huge stands out, we write the contract and get the inspections done by professionals.

Dustin Allen - REALTOR® Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 7 2023, 15:52

@Dustin Allen The floor vent trick is an excellent hack! Will be doing this from now on.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 7 2023, 16:06

This depends on what type of investment property you are purchasing. If you are buying a property that is turnkey, you should get an inspection. If you are buying a flip that needs a lot of work, you should get contractors out to bid.

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied May 7 2023, 16:17

Use the lookup function and type in checklist.   Pull all the best concepts together and ask people to review. 

User Stats

Votes
Gary Love
Votes |
Replied May 7 2023, 17:44
Quote from @Dustin Allen:

@Gary Love

Look at everything!

I don’t have any fancy pdf for you but here’s a short list:

- Look under all sinks for leaks

- Look in every corner (ceilings and floors) for any sign of water damage or cracking

- Look at the water heater, HVAC, AC, etc…

- Pull out floor vents if you want to see what kind of floors are under the carpets.

- Look in the crawl space and attic if you can (always have a pocket flashlight on you)

The more you can find out on the first visit, the better off you’ll be. I’m always looking for reasons my clients shouldn’t buy the home. If nothin huge stands out, we write the contract and get the inspections done by professionals.

Those are some great tips Dustin. Those will be of great help. Thank you very much for taking the time. I really appreciate it. 

User Stats

Votes
Gary Love
Votes |
Replied May 7 2023, 17:47
Quote from @Henry Clark:

Use the lookup function and type in checklist.   Pull all the best concepts together and ask people to review. 

Thank you Henry.  That's a great idea. Ill build my own list to have with me when viewing a property. I don't always have the best memory and don't want to make a costly mistake. Thank you again. 

User Stats

Votes
Gary Love
Votes |
Replied May 7 2023, 17:49
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

This depends on what type of investment property you are purchasing. If you are buying a property that is turnkey, you should get an inspection. If you are buying a flip that needs a lot of work, you should get contractors out to bid.

Thanks Elliott. It's probably going to be somewhere right in the middle of those two but if I find something I can't pass up Ill definitely take your advice.. Thank you for taking the time. I appreciate it very much. 

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied May 7 2023, 18:12

Put the list together and have us look over.Will be glad to help after you invest your time.  I have a list for our Selfstorage locations whether building or buying. 

User Stats

Votes
Gary Love
Votes |
Replied May 8 2023, 17:50

So far this is what I've stole, dug up, and added to. Anyone care to add to it or critique it? This is for us buying a SFH to live in for a year and then rent out. Sorry if its so long. My OCD was kicking in :) Thank you all for the help. Maybe this will be helpful to another newbie :)

Tools to have – Tape Measure, flashlight, electrical outlet tester.

Things to look for during initial visit

-Look under all sinks for leaks.

- Roof

-Chimney

- Gutters/Soffits/Downs

- Paint/Siding

- Electric Service Drop (older homes with above ground wires)

- Electrical Breaker Box

- Exterior Doors/Jams

- Porch/Deck

- Termite Danger (ground is near wood)

- Land Grading (for water runoff)

- Cement/Asphalt

-Retaining Walls

-Garage (Door and function)

- Landscaping

-Trash Cleanup

- Windows

-Interior Doors

-Strip Wallpaper

-Drywall

-Patch & Paint

- Flooring (carpet, vinyl, hardwood, tile)

- Ceiling Repairs

-Water Damage

-Trash Removal

- Kitchen

- Kitchen Appliances

- Baths

- Water Heater

- Water Service Line

- Water Plumbing

-Waste Plumbing

-Check water pressure

-Electrical

- Joists

- Foundation

Tips

- Check the property at different times of the day
The street may be peaceful and quiet in the morning but in the evening, it may overflow with traffic. Or Mr. Peterson may be peeping through your window during the night. That is why it is important to visit the house at all times of the day.

- Inquire about the presence of neighborhood association
An association in the area means that the community in the neighborhood is closely knit. Find out if there are any newsletters or if the community in the neighborhood meets sometimes. A community indicates that neighbors care for each other and you can have a good time during celebrations.

- Past records
Ask the seller to provide you with past records of home improvement. For example, there are chances that if the air conditioning system was repaired a long time ago, it may break down at any time soon.

- Remodeling
If you think of remodeling the house, do examine the house closely. Perhaps remodeling the house may cost you a high price because the changes may not be as easy as you thought.

- Surroundings
Observe the surroundings of the house you are planning to buy. If you see one or two houses torn down, there are chances of buildings coming up at a nearby location. A huge mall may arise blocking your view or some hospital or school may come up and cause inconvenience.

- Past bills
Check how much the seller is paying in bills. The house may have high heating and cooling bills or water bills because of inefficiency in usage.

- Tax bills
Tell your neighbor to show you past tax bills. The possibilities are that if the property value increases, your tax bills will show a steep rise.

- Confirm the zoning
Confirm with the seller about the zoning in which the house is located and whether the house has any liens or restrictions.

- Go through newspapers
Check the recent newspapers to find out if there are any proposed projects in your area. It is better to find out sooner about upcoming projects than to have surprises later.

- Always get a full inspection report.

- Make sure all structures on the property are legal structures.

- Get an appraisal report if there’s any question on comps.

- If buying a rental, even if the price of the property is next to nothing, make sure your holding costs on the property don’t cause you to have a negative cash flow.

- Never buy a house on the top of a hill or with a steep driveway. Harder to sell.

- Talk to the neighbors about the history of the property to uncover anything that is unknown to the realtor.