User Stats

Votes
Georgina Graham
Votes |
First time home buyer

Georgina Graham
Posted Sep 25 2023, 06:16

Hi there, 

I have been pre-approved for $350,000 and have looked at few houses and I am in between 3 houses that I like. One is in Spring Lake Park, MN, another is in Andover, MN and the 3rd one is in Shoreview MN. I would like to buy this property as an investment property, live in it for 1-2 years and sell. Which area do you think is the best to buy this property in? Any tips from Minnesota investors who are familiar with the local market would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you so much!

Georgina Graham 

Devin Dougherty's profile image
  • Real Estate Agent
  • from Omaha, NE
  • Member since Jun 29, 2023

User Stats

Votes
Devin Dougherty's profile image
  • Real Estate Agent
  • from Omaha, NE
  • Member since Jun 29, 2023
Devin Dougherty
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Omaha, NE
Replied Sep 25 2023, 06:32

I'm not in MN, however, I would suggest looking at the market stats in each of those areas and take your pick on which area has the better year over year changes. I wish you the best! 

Alyssa Strom's profile image
  • Real Estate Agent
  • from Saint Paul, MN
  • Member since May 1, 2015

User Stats

Votes
Alyssa Strom's profile image
  • Real Estate Agent
  • from Saint Paul, MN
  • Member since May 1, 2015
Alyssa Strom
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Sep 26 2023, 07:17

@Georgina Graham I'd review the rental guidelines for each city and then check rental comps on Rentometer. Sometimes there aren't many single-family rental comps so you can verify on Facebook Marketplace, Zillow or Apartments.com. I'd base my decision on potential rental income and future Cap Ex. 

New Western logo
New Western
|
Sponsored
Exclusive Off-Market Properties For Your Investment Strategies The Largest Private Source of Investment Properties In The Nation. Find Your Next Rehab Project
Scott E.'s profile image
  • Developer
  • from Scottsdale, AZ
  • Member since Dec 26, 2010

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.'s profile image
  • Developer
  • from Scottsdale, AZ
  • Member since Dec 26, 2010
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Sep 26 2023, 08:33

I don't know anything about your market but just want to make sure you are clear on what you're doing here...

You say you would like to buy this property as an investment property, live in it for 1-2 years, and sell.

That's not what you are doing. Here is a more accurate way to describe it:

I would like to buy this property as my primary residence, live in it for 1-2 years, and sell.

This distinction will be important when you are getting financing for this property, and when you are considering the tax implications on any profits made from the sale of the home. 

Bryon Andrews's profile image
  • Real Estate Agent
  • from Saint Paul, MN
  • Member since Jul 24, 2018

User Stats

Votes
Bryon Andrews's profile image
  • Real Estate Agent
  • from Saint Paul, MN
  • Member since Jul 24, 2018
Bryon Andrews
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Sep 27 2023, 21:46
Quote from @Georgina Graham:

Hi there, 

I have been pre-approved for $350,000 and have looked at few houses and I am in between 3 houses that I like. One is in Spring Lake Park, MN, another is in Andover, MN and the 3rd one is in Shoreview MN. I would like to buy this property as an investment property, live in it for 1-2 years and sell. Which area do you think is the best to buy this property in? Any tips from Minnesota investors who are familiar with the local market would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you so much!

Georgina Graham 

Hey Georgina, I like your strategy here of doing a live in flip. My wife and I completed one in White Bear Lake. It is a great strategy if you focus on adding value. Any of those 3 communities that you mentioned will provide what you are looking for. Feel free to reach out and I'd be happy to share some insight from my experience. 

• Real Estate Agent Wisconsin (#110141) and Minnesota (#40860934)

• 715-892-4596