Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Bailey Coleman
  • Investor
Votes |
The Bank will not let use use our Title Company. What do I do?

Bailey Coleman
  • Investor
Posted Mar 21 2024, 19:30

I am negotiating with the bank on a short sale and they will not let me use our own title company....Has anyone worked with Golden Eagle Title before in Cleveland Ohio? That is the title company I am forced to work with. Can someone connect me with a rep that works at that company?

User Stats

Votes
Bill B.#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Mar 21 2024, 20:03

I don’t think anyone is ever allowed to change anything in regards to short sales. The bank wants a common contact for all deals. Is the market there crashing? How do you have any short sales?  Don’t worry about which title company is being used, it just won’t matter. Plus they should have experience dealing with thsi bank. Good luck. 

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Segal
Votes |
Replied Mar 21 2024, 20:32

I once represented an investor in REO purchase. The bank's title company insisted the contract did not allow for the buyer to use their own title company. After re-reading the contract, it absolutely implied they could. RESPA also prohibits sellers of property that will be purchased with a federally related loan from requiring purchasers to use a particular title company. It may depend on your agreement with the bank, I don't know the specifics of your contract, but I would read it carefully, you may be able to do a bifurcated closing so that you can use your own title company for your side of the transaction. They may push but back down depending on the language in the contract. Parties dislike bifurcation because it can slow things down at the closing.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Mar 22 2024, 06:03
Quote from @Bailey Coleman:

I am negotiating with the bank on a short sale and they will not let me use our own title company....Has anyone worked with Golden Eagle Title before in Cleveland Ohio? That is the title company I am forced to work with. Can someone connect me with a rep that works at that company?

Standard op for banks. No big deal bro, it's all good.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Apr 9 2024, 08:04
Quote from @Bailey Coleman:

Who cares who you use for the closing?  There all basically the same there. Hey if you want simply to have all docs and correspondence  go to whomever you have a relationship with but have the banks title close it.